Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I recently started doing a little driving with Lyft on weekends. And the way it works for me is that I can do a ride for about 20-30 minutes, then when I drop a person off I just pull over and wait for the next request. Some times it comes in 1-5 minutes, and sometimes it can take 15-20 minutes or so to get a call, so I might be sitting idling for on average between 5 and 20 minutes, 8-10 times per night. Does it make more sense to shut the engine off during those idling times to save gas or keep it running (someone said that push button start ignition will eventually wear out or just generally break sooner and will be expensive to fix)? I also hear that is generally not good to idle your engine for more than couple of minutes, not just the gas thing. Never had to worry about it too much in the past.

I have a 2009 V6 Limited with 72,000 miles on it.

Thanks,
d.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
Unless you need it running for heat or A/C you're just wasting gas so shut it off. I don't have one but I've never heard of a Pushbutton Start failure.

·
Registered
8,591 Posts
I agree with Dr. Dyno. I would switch off the engine to save gas, unnecessary engine wear, and possibly prevent excessive contamination of the engine oil as lengthy idling can allow the oil to cool and be more susceptible to combustion products such as H2O contamination.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys, that makes sense. You know who told me about that push button breaking? Dealer when they were trying to sell me warranty, guy said something like "they fail after few years and will be very expensive to replace... so warranty?"

No.

Driving with ridesharing app makes you want to save as much gas a possible (because I can go through two full tanks in two days), so I'll be shutting it down from now on. I'm having a lot of fun doing that though.

d.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Think about all the cars out there now, not just hybrids, that have an auto stop feature that shuts off the engine automatically every time the car comes to a complete stop. The engine is again automatically started when you press the gas pedal.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Think about all the cars out there now, not just hybrids, that have an auto stop feature that shuts off the engine automatically every time the car comes to a complete stop. The engine is again automatically started when you press the gas pedal.
Yes, but those cars were specifically designed for that. I'll bet those cars have very heavy duty starter motors and possibly other electronics / battery requirements that are not in our older 4.3 models.

My guess is that you'd be wearing out the RAV 4.3's starter motor much faster if you treated it the same way as one of those vehicles.

And, BTW, auto-stop engines are restarted when you lift your foot off the brake pedal, not when you press on the gas pedal. That way the engine will be started by the time your foot moves over and starts applying pressure to the gas pedal, or at least so the theory goes.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts