Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

From Drive to Park - excessive roll

3K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  rav4.32010 
#1 ·
So, I'm just getting used to this 2011 RAV4 with the 4cyl engine.

I'm noticing that when I put the car in park, and then let off the brake, the vehicle will move quite a bit forward or backward depending on the lay of the land. Much more than any other vehicle I've ever owned.

Is this typical of the RAV4?

#4 ·
I've never known an automatic car that did not do that. Yes it's normal especially if you refuse to engage the e-brake. If you are on a stout slope it can make for one hell of a noise as the parking pawl releases due to the pressure on it.

#8 ·
Always set the parking brake BEFORE putting in park, and always put it in gear BEFORE releasing the parking brake. This will solve the roll situation, and take the stress off the transmission pall. This is especially useful with the RAV. I learned this tip from this forum.

#9 ·
Simply keep one foot pressing the service brake pedal and shift into park, then set the parking brake with foot still pressing on he service brake pedal. Roll will be confined to possibly an inch or so if there is any at all.

#10 ·
Now that I have all automatic vehicles I notice the roll after I shift to park and release the foot brake on my slightly uphill driveway. In fact with my wife as the passenger I either have to do it quickly before she opens the door and starts to get out or wait until she's completely out so the few inches of roll doesn't throw her off balance. I'm trying to learn to do it quicker so I'm not stuck sitting & waiting with my foot on the brake. I never use the parking brake.
So, to answer your question, I'd say a few inches of roll is normal.

#11 ·
Once anyone see a picture of that very small the pawl and then remember how heavy the vehicle
is I would be surprised if anyone would ever just rely on this small piece of metal as a brake. I
had a question about why there was a loud clunk from the transmission when I went into "D" after
stopping on a hill. My technique was wrong as I put it into "P" before putting on the hand operated
parking brake. Extra weight was being put on the pawl and someone posted a video link showing
how small the pawl is. Now I always put the parking brake on before putting transmission into "P"
and I have never had a problem since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.