Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rav4 V6 Limited with 136,000 miles. While rotating tires I noticed that the driver side axle had slung grease all the way around (the inside boot-not the outside) the car frame. The thing is, the boot is not torn, cracked, or damaged in any way I can see. The boot is flexible, not dry rotted. So how did the grease fling out? Does this mean I need to replace the axle? I do not have any symptoms of a bad joint yet...no clicking on turns or vibration at speed. I am puzzled at this point. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well since nobody seems to have an answer to this situation, if I have to replace the driver side axle, how hard is that? Anybody done one here? I looked at Youtube videos, but have not found a good one for later model Rav's. I am quite skilled at repairs, but don't want to get in over my head...Need to have the correct tools and know what to expect. Thanks!

·
Registered
129 Posts
there may be a small tear in the cv boot that's not noticeable. the hardest part may be knocking out the cv nut indent and using a long breaker bar to loosen the nut. there's a schley tool set for that. the second hardest part is pulling the cv out of the transmission. i did it on my celica and the shaft tore from the axle at the inner boot. i rented the 3 claw hammer puller and it came out rather easily. just keep on push, pulling, and rotating. you may need to replace the axle seal also.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts