Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that there is a thread on this for an older generation, but I thought I'd start one here.

I have 110,000 miles on my 2010 V6 RAV4 AWD Sport, have rarely towed with it (only 1,700-ish lbs), and don't/never have driven in deep sand or water. Some time ago, I started hearing a noise that i thought was tire noise since the tires I have ARE known for being pretty noisy. A couple different dealers believe I have bearing issues, and I tend to agree with them. The first guy gave me a rough estimate of $1,200(!!!) to do them. So, I looked around, found some info here, and while the stock parts are $373.23USD (+tax) EACH(!!!), I found quality Timken (I totally trust them and have used their bearings in Aerospace before) parts for $136.79USD. WAY better. At first I was kind of freaking out because the page the service mgr. handed me had 2 different numbers for what appeared to be the bearing/hub assy, and my mechanic friend thought that it was because maybe one side had a hall sensor. But, it turns out, the parts mgr. said that what I thought was the PART number was in fact the GROUP number, and that the actual part number was the same for both sides. Whew! So, this Toyota dealership is willing to replace OEM parts with the Timken parts, and while they'll warranty the labor, they won't warranty the parts, which is more than fair, as Timken has a 1 year warranty. So, with a 4-wheel alignment (which i need anyway with the new tires I bought about 5k miles ago), the labor will be $465. so, I should get the parts this Friday, and have that noise fixed early next week.

I will say I AM very disappointed that a Toyota has a major problem like this, and worse, that there are a number of others with the same issue. I mean, I bought a Toyota in the first place NOT to have these issues, but hopefully the Timken's will last longer.

Anyways, I got the Timken P/N HA590168 at Rockauto.com for $136.79USD, which I find a very reasonable price for a know quality brand, vs. the outrageous OEM price for bearings that may well have been inferior.

Best of luck out there guys!

·
Registered
184 Posts
Timken bearings hold up pretty good. I replaced wheel bearings quiet a few times with Timken bearing and new OEM hub and seal. They go 100k and beyond with ease. Quality product indeed.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I retired from Timken Bearings, after a 30 year career.
- as a Grinding Engineer Analyst and we had 2 dedicated Toyota lines, making Unipack Bearings for new Toyota trucks
- the green stock was high carbon steel, forged on a 1/2 million Ton big press, in the States
- races are Heat Treated via Induction Hardening...case hardness is tightly controlled
- all the bearing races are high precision ground, on advanced CNC machines
- metrology inspection equipment takes the race image and magnifies it 50x, for envelope fit
- a precise crown is ground in the race, to reduce roller friction & eliminate lobing & assembly noise
- even the assembly procedure, incorporated ABS sensor rings, if application called for it
- grease was metered and exactly weighed, before the bearing assembly had seals added

^^ Timken quality has a universal standard, throughout world wide operations...all ISO certified.
I can honestly say, Timken exhibits the finest bearing quality and advanced R&D, in the world.
- and I visited several plants, while on Training or Corporate projects

BTW - The bearings we made for Toyota, were packed in Toyota boxes / when they get to the Dealership parts counter...a ~10x price markup, has been added through the numerous supply chains &/or distribution channels.
Have no fear - many times a Toyota bearing, has been made in a North American Timken plant.

CYCLE_MONKEY - wise move buying Timken/OEM Toyota bearings at RockAuto, for 1/3rd the
Dealership cost.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I retired from Timken Bearings, after a 30 year career.

CYCLE_MONKEY - wise move buying Timken/OEM Toyota bearings at RockAuto, for 1/3rd the
Dealership cost.
Glad to hear it, and congrats on your career! I've used and spec'd them before, and I certainly thought they'd be better than any of the other replacement parts, even the Moog ones, since Timken specializes in bearings and has forever.

·
Registered
381 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What kind of noise is it.I have a whining noise and not sure what it is.Can hear it as I slow down.
It's more of a grinding noise/vibration. You hear it above about 40mph even going in a straight line, but it gets worse on the bad side when you turn in the other direction, putting more load on that outside wheel. When it gets bad, you'll even hear it under braking.

I had mine done, and it's SO much quieter now. It's amazing how it sneaks up on you and you don't realize how bad it was until it's gone. Thank God there wasn't any damage to the spindles, and except for one stubborn bolt and pressing the old ones out and the new ones in, the tech said it all was fine and went smoothly. He said the Timkens looked exactly like the stock parts, were equal or better in quality, and went in just fine. I played with the bad ones after, checking for excessive play, and found none, but it was clear that the bearings themselves were shot, as I definately found a rough spot when turning them. It's amazing how such a small defect, under load, can cause so much noise!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts