Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone. Wanted to get some opinion, expert advise. My 2013 XLE is coming up for front brake pads replacement, i've asked 3 dealerships about this service and found out that it cost more than buying a new set of front rotors and pads. I know the difference from aftermarket and so called OEM parts but OEM doesn't always mean "best" or not (at least in my opinion).

So i'm looking around for after market rotors (EBC, Hart, Eline, Magnum, etc..) i wanted to get drilled and slotted (i'm not in to rolling at high speeds but love the function and benefits of what these features brings) and wanted to see how these brands performs if anyone here have used or currently using them.

Any response is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Don't waste money on cross-drilled rotors if you're getting the same size as oem. It's a waste of money if you're not going with a BBK, you won't get the benefice of a crossdrilled, trust me. Because of the oem size of them and the holes, your braking surface is less than a plain disc, so in the end, you will pass more pads and the discs might crack of overheating. I had some on a previous car and it didn't really last long.

If you're not doing autocross, racing in any forms with the rav4 but just taking you to point A to B, don't bother with theses.
Just get plain discs and a good set of pads.

EBC pads are good and Hawks too.

·
Registered
246 Posts
And if you live in "salt country" like I do in Minnesota, you need to worry about accelerated rusting of the holes and slots. But it appears you live in Calif, so no worries there, unless you park around the ocean 24/7.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
I agree with the others. The "fancy" parts only work for the guy who sold them to you. In fact unless they are rusted or causing pulsing I wouldn't even replace the rotors.
I buy lifetime warrantied pads from Autozone or Advance and pop them in myself. Of course you need to check that the sliders are free and not sticking but if the old pads wore evenly the sliders are likely okay and you've got a half hour job.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Originally Posted by Beaumont67 View Post

I bought the premium brake kit (G3500 cast iron rotors & ceramic pads).
Did the rear brakes last year...on 2008 RAV4 Limited v6 4x4
- and caliper pins de-rusted good & lubed with a ceramic paste
- this product ships out of the GTA-Toronto area / so Canadians save large / currently 50% off
- rotors are drilled, slotted & coated / I broke the brakes in hard, for 15 minutes
- my garage friend charged me $150 labor, to do the rear axle / include lube calipers, pins & shims
- still using original calipers, that came on the 2008 RAV4 v6 / one was sticking, mechanic fixed it

^^ Probably saved $700-800 per axle avoiding Dealership, and end up with great parts.
- could not be happier / improved stopping distance & zero noise
- brake dust on alloy rims, almost nothing
- will have the front brakes done, this fall
- since I ordered a 4 wheel kit, just a labor charge next time
- rotors are slow to rust, probably the G-3500 cast iron grade is higher in nickel content

MaxBrakes ELITE xDS Series Kits, shipped out of Ontario, Canada:
Brake Kits - ELITE xDS Series Kits
^^ Company also ships to USA customers.

First time I bought a 4 wheel brake kit, saved $500 in parts (for Jimmy), not purchasing from local NAPA/UAP.

Attachments

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dr. Dyno, thank you for your response. I'm just hesitant spending money and down time in resurfacing the rotors that's why i'm thinking of getting the new ones, also the fact the resurfacing process cost almost the same if not more or new rotors.

Now if I'm just going to replace the pads, what would be the downside if i replace it without resurfacing the rotors? Visually and feel from finger tips, my front rotors are still in excellent condition. still have good surface and not much trenching or dips on it. no shuddering feeling to when braking. Our rav already 37k miles on it but glad to say he's aging gracefully and not extremely.

I'm also looking to put this on my self as its easy and more cost effective. :)

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thank you beaumont67. Love your post. i'm sure this will be an easy work for me as i've done this before with my ek civic.

How long have you had this installed in your rav?

I've also read about cracking on the side of the holes and wondering if this is due to extreme use or just a bad manufacturing. i do want to get slotted and drilled to help in cooling and not just to look cool with it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
thank you beaumont67. Love your post. i'm sure this will be an easy work for me as i've done this before with my ek civic.

How long have you had this installed in your rav?

I've also read about cracking on the side of the holes and wondering if this is due to extreme use or just a bad manufacturing. i do want to get slotted and drilled to help in cooling and not just to look cool with it.
Cross Drilled & Slotted BS plus Holes Cracking, etc...I don't understand it, from the nay-say'ers:
- skeptics may have never used a premium brake kit
- but those brake complaints, are not from my experience / using a state of the art kit
- made from the highest grade of cast iron (G-3500) & precision CNC machined to ISO quality standards

PS - the brake kit I posted, is too cheap to consider turning your OEM used rotors.

On wife's v6-RAV4, did the rear brake upgrade a year ago & noticed:
- heavier & thicker rotors, than OEM Toyota
- noticeably shorter stopping distance...>> safety
- almost zero brake dust, so alloy rim cleanup is infrequent
- zero brake fade
- no brake noise either
- SUV does not sway left or right any, under a hard panic stop
^^ A confident experience - new front MaxBrakes rotors & ceramic pads, will be installer this fall.
- the complete ELITE xDS Series 4 wheel brake kit is cheaper than buying rear & front separately

jest - try them, you'll like it & save a wad of $$.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I used Canadian XtremeStop Crossdrilled/Slotted rotors on my Corolla XRS with their ceramic pads... 1yr later and the passenger side started to have slight vibration at certain speeds, forward to now and I'm getting worse vibration so yeah, I'll be going with something different next.

I'm thinking of going with RockAuto Centric (Stoptech) premium rotors and their sport pads as I can get the set cheaper than locally bought at CT, Napa or any parts stores, hopefully this will work better as I'm not sold on the Crossdrilled or Slotted hype just yet.

·
Registered
248 Posts
thank you beaumont67. Love your post.

Actually, its usually caused by cheap aftermarket design. The placement of the holes has to be designed to pass only through the open areas of the center vented section of the rotor, that is between the cooling vanes. Generally, to do this right, a rotor has to be designed from scratch to be a cross-drilled rotor. Its pretty much impossible to do otherwise. If one just takes an aftermarket (or OEM) rotor and drills away, (like many aftermarket companies do) you are asking for hot spots and weak spots and early failure. You will never see this issues with OEM drilled rotors, such as those that may come with high performance cars as OEM because they have been engineered from a clean sheet of paper to be structured correctly. In fact, high end OEM drilled rotors, often have the holes cast in the initial casting and then just cleaned up with machining later when the surface is machined.

·
Registered
419 Posts
In harsh Canadian winters combined with road salt & liquid calcium to melt black ice...caliper pins are prone to rusting & seizing up, in the brake caliper.

My mechanic takes a good 10 minutes to de-rust these pins on a wire wheel bench grinder, prior to applying a generous amount of ceramic lub to each caliper pin, for smooth brake performance and trouble free motoring.
- a critical area, that is often overlooked or neglected with short cuts in garage labor

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Hi everyone. Wanted to get some opinion, expert advise. My 2013 XLE is coming up for front brake pads replacement, i've asked 3 dealerships about this service and found out that it cost more than buying a new set of front rotors and pads. I know the difference from aftermarket and so called OEM parts but OEM doesn't always mean "best" or not (at least in my opinion).

So i'm looking around for after market rotors (EBC, Hart, Eline, Magnum, etc..) i wanted to get drilled and slotted (i'm not in to rolling at high speeds but love the function and benefits of what these features brings) and wanted to see how these brands performs if anyone here have used or currently using them.

Any response is very much appreciated.

Thank you.

Don't know if the oem on the 2013 are different than 2011 but my OEM PADS are stamped ADVICS and I got them at http://www.rockauto.com/ much cheaper than dealer. 5% off rockauto coupon code is

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
You made perfect sense with what you said GerryL and totally agree with it. Do you know aftermarket brake set that were manufactured with holes and not just drilled after?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Don't know if the oem on the 2013 are different than 2011 but my OEM PADS are stamped ADVICS and I got them at RockAuto much cheaper than dealer. 5% off rockauto coupon code is
Advics(Aisin) and Akebono are usually OEM as both companies have joint ventures with Toyota.

Beaumont67, I may look into Max Brakes and see how they are... will cost me the same to get Centric from Rockauto, but the Centric pads are better from what I've read on other forums, the Max pads are crap apparently... what's your experience so far?

·
Registered
335 Posts
I had to replace my front brakes in a hurry as we were going on a trip that morning (it was 7pm) and the warning tab started to grind. I probably would have been fine but who wants to be on a trip trying to find a shop who will change brakes and possibly rotors in a hurry. I just went with cheap Autozone pads and reused the rotors (since they were well over the minimum thickness and didn't have any deep grooves) with the idea of replacing them later (which I still haven't done and doubt I will). I can't say I noticed a difference in stopping power.

As for doing it, if it's the first time things will come apart easy. Unlike my Tundra that has two pins the pads float on that rust inside the caliper the RAV4 just has to bolts that didn't even have a hint of rust on them. When I reinstalled them I put a little anti-seize on the threads of the bolts. The part of the brake assembly that lets the caliper slide is inside a rubber boot so I don't think it will rust. I don't think I would take the rubber boot off. Being in Northern Vermont I can say that my calipers have seen their fair share of salt and brine. The rotors were rusted pretty badly, I knocked off the rusty scale. I suspect that if I was going to keep the '13 for a few more years I would replace the rotors just because of how rusty they were. But the caliper looked great.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Advics(Aisin) and Akebono are usually OEM as both companies have joint ventures with Toyota.

Beaumont67, I may look into Max Brakes and see how they are... will cost me the same to get Centric from Rockauto, but the Centric pads are better from what I've read on other forums, the Max pads are crap apparently... what's your experience so far?
Hi there REN3G8 - just sitting here watching our Blue Jays...and Donaldson hits homer in the 9th.
- what better time to reply, to your post...hehe

I am 110% sold on MaxBrakes and they might still have their 50% off Sale.
- their Kits ship out of Richmond Hill, ON...even better than getting kit out of USA
- we do get down to Port Huron, MI...but can bring back other stuff duty free...if source brakes in the GTA area

MaxBrakes is the only company, that defines their Gray cast Iron spec. & machine process...so their top tier brake kit, is all I will ever need.
My mechanic uses CeramAce High Temperature Ceramic Lubrication...resists salt, water & prevents Pin rust - he de-rusts Pins properly and applies a generous amount of Lub, from the expensive little tin.

My MaxBrakes installed on rear - broke them in hard, first 15 minutes driving home.

I'll get Centric kit from RockAuto, for my 2000 4Runner when needed as MaxBrakes don't carry all earlier years.
- but wife's rear brakes on her RAV4 is flawless and braking distance also reduced
- so smooth & no pull

BTW - when my skilled mechanic did the rear brakes, one of my calipers had a piston sticking...that he restored successfully.
How many Brake Kits get a BAD NAME, from H.E. (human error, during install) &/or inadequate P.M. (preventive maintenance, rusty caliper pin issues) ??

^^ My good friend owns the garage, and I am around the bay area &/or under the hoist, when my work gets done.
- I also book, his Ace mechanic
- so I control the delivered job quality, the install process from start to finish
I know if their was a real mechanical issue, that can be pinpointed, contributing to premature failure...and not be quick, to cast blame on a brake kit, until I personally see such real evidence.
- that's my take, on some reviews
- knowing what works for me & easily within budget...it will never be OEM, from local Toyota Dealership

Since we have a v6 Limited, I checked my front kit (MaxBrakes ELITE xDS Series) against the original equipment / measuring and comparing diameters, which matched up.
Noticeable difference against Original Equipment...the premium kit is beefy, in added rotor thickness.
- plan on doing the front breaks in December, when the winter tires go back on

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I installed cross drilled/slotted front disks and premium pads on the wife's 2010 Rav4. I found them to be a significant improvement in braking. Never had any issues with respect to breakage, rust, etc.. They lasted better than the originals.

I buy my stuff from Autoparts Warehouse and go pick them up in Buffalo.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
argh. i'm still confused on which way to go. i need any more suggestion for good quality slotted and drilled rotors ( not the cheapy ones i read about).

thank you,

·
Registered
419 Posts
argh. i'm still confused on which way to go. i need any more suggestion for good quality slotted and drilled rotors ( not the cheapy ones i read about).

thank you,
^^ You have enough real good info. already, to make a quick & solid decision on.

Confucius Say
- Some Sex Is Good...More Is Better...Too Much Is Just About Right
- A man that wears 2 watches, never knows what time it is.

Hope this additionally, helps some !!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts