16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
43 Posts
Some 2012–2016 model year RAV4 vehicles may exhibit a squeak noise
which is heard coming from the front brakes
with light to moderate braking. To address this squeak noise
condition, use the following Repair Procedure.

https://www.rav4world.com/d1/attachments/pdf/4.4/T-SB-0096-16.pdf

@JuneBug I recently replaced my brake pad and rotors with new OEM parts but I experience noise early in the morning when driving out of our apartment parking deck and the noise seems to go away after some driving

These are the parts I used...

rotors --> 43512-0R020
pads --> 04465-AZ021-TM

Any advice? Do I need to get the Anti-squeal kit? I did the install myself and my Rav4 has passed the 36K mile warranty.

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@JuneBug I recently replaced my brake pad and rotors with new OEM parts but I experience noise early in the morning when driving out of our apartment parking deck and the noise seems to go away after some driving

rotors --> 43512-0R020
pads --> 04465-AZ021-TM

Any advice? Do I need to get the Anti-squeal kit? I did the install myself and my Rav4 has passed the 36K mile warranty.
Mine has always done this. Overnight a thin film of rust forms on the rotors, and it takes a few brake applications to wear it off. The scraping of the pad on the rust causes the noise. Perfectly normal.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts

rotors --> 43512-0R020
pads --> 04465-AZ021-TM

Adding some anti squeal brake grease at the back of the shims could work.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Good luck getting this fixed at the dealer. Finally took my wife's Rav4 in with only 21800 miles on the odometer. Mentioned the brake squeal and the TSB. First thing the service advisor said was that the brakes were worn and it was just just time to replace them at a cost of $196. Made a big deal about all the brake dust on the wheels. He said the TSB wouldn't apply because pads are a wear item and the warranty for that stuff is only 12k (even though the TSB says coverage applies till the 36k mark). Since we were there I told them to check it out anyways. 30 minutes later the advisor called and said that, surprise, the brakes were REALLY worn and it was time for a set of new pads. He even spit out the pad thickness measurement and said it was below spec.

Told them no thank you and went back to pick it up. The tech who came out while we were waiting for the car again stated that the brakes were done. Bought some pads at Advance Auto and replaced them myself. Pads were not bad at all - the most worn one was down to 4.7mm or so. Also interesting was the fact that there were no handling marks on the wheels, so they must have been either really careful not to touch the wheels during removal or they must have inspected the brakes with an x-ray machine :roll:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Inferior materials from overseas. It is hard to get quality rotors anymore. Even some of the higher priced ones suck. I bought a set for my truck awhile back, tried to get the store to true them up, said it was mot needed. I told them bull crap.said the guy that turned rotors was not in. I thought to my self any monkey can do it. But he would not let me do it, of course. So a few months later i took them back, got a refund and went else where and bought a more expensive set. So far so good.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Inferior materials from overseas. It is hard to get quality rotors anymore. Even some of the higher priced ones suck.........
I use MaxBrakes.com - Brake Rotors, Brake Pads, Brake Drum, Brake Shoes.
Brake Kits - ELITE xDS Series Kits · ELITE xDS Series Kits
- rotors made from premium Cast Iron / grade 3500
I buy the 4 wheel kit, its cheaper / for Canadians, they ship out of Toronto...so not Broker fees.

Did the rear brakes, last fall (on 2008 Limited v6).
- improved stopping distance & nice smooth wear on rotors / and zero rusting, on faces
- will do the front breaks, this fall

·
Registered
69 Posts
I recently encountered this situation. I always had some sort of music on and didn't notice anything but my 2016 (newer body) started making grinding / squeaky noise every time I brake in low speed (less than 15mph) So I printed the TSB and went to my local Toyota dealer (Hollywood Toyota in Los Angeles) and the service advisor said we had to re-create the noise in order for them to honor the TSB, which they were able to. Also like the TSB states, the mileage needs to be less than 36K, and I drive alot because I use this car to go roadtrip and I was at 32K and they were able to fix the problem. Another nice thing about them was that they re-surfaced the rotor like it said on the TSB, and they put this fitting kit on the brake pad, and they were also nice enough to replace the front brake pads to a new one at no charge, since the service advisor told me that they want to make everything right so I don't have any other problem later on. So I think if anyone's front brakes are making weird noise, you should get them checked and fixed at the dealer!!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
I had brake noise from day one with my 2014. This squeak followed by heavy grinding at the first few brake cycles. After multiple trips to the dealer I gave up and replaced. I used the same brand I use on my weekend toy. Auto zone high carbon rotors with ceramic pads from O'Reilly auto-parts. The pads have rubber backing no squeak no grinding and almost no brake dust.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is and has been an annoying sound coming from my front brakes when in use. I think it was there when I bought it as a lease return with 35,000 mi. Now at 66k and the noise is the same. Brakes pass inspection and rotor wear appears normal. When the time comes I think I will replace with Willwood's. I had very good luck with them on my Jeep Liberty. Any opinions?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is happening with my 2017 SE Hybrid as well. Is there any sort of repair procedure for 2017 models?

Just wanted to provide an update that I have NOT heard this sound in a long time. I wonder if it was a "new" car thing. No changes to brakes or anything like that, but I have been better about washing my car and wheels with Sonax. No idea if this is at all related.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts