Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife's '06 was in a fender bender and needs a new front bumper cover.

I can't find my factory manual. I never have to work on this car, so I've never needed it.

Anyway, I can't find any instructions or a youtube video. I found one of a guy who took his off just to look at the under structure... so maybe its not that hard...

My goal is to get a new bumper in and on hand so I can swap it all the same day - so I'd like to have an idea of what clips and fasteners I need to have on hand or be ready to source at the drop of a hat.

Thanks
Scott

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Avu3, look here how to remove the front bumper. Fairly easy I found except the two rusty Phillip bolt on the top which I had to use a vise grip plier to avoid stripping the head. A trim removal tool should be used to prevent breaking the clips. Have a blanket or large tarp to lay the bumper on the ground so it does not scratch.

·
Super Moderator
11,109 Posts
Great info DL but when I clicked on your removal link 339 posts came up and I have my thread opener set up for last post first. Was thinking I'd have to scan thru them it find the instructions but it's all in the first post. From 10 years ago but very detailed with pictures. The member is probably long gone but sure left some valuable info. Nice find! And the RAV4 is even the right color!

·
Registered
755 Posts
There's a top panel covering the grill/headlights that need to be taken off. Then the lower panel covering bumper bottom need to be taken off. These are all held down by clips. There should be a few screws/clips in the front fender wheel wells that need to be detached as well. If you get confused on which clips/screws go where, I've found it useful to use an empty egg carton to store and label them. You can definitely remove and replace it within a few hours (<2?) While you're at it, might as well replace the "beep-beep" horn. :)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is exactly the info I was looking for, thank you. I'll try and track down some spare plastic plugs and a new bumper cover.

The fog light link makes me want to add them too. I'll try and track a set down w/ the OEM switch before I tackle it.

Thanks!

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bumper cover ordered pre-painted on eBay.
Fog lights ordered from the same vendor as referenced in the link - still selling 10 years later!
Have wiring/taps/fuses on hand. Picked up the now $16 relay from Napa referenced in the link.
Ordered a fastener kit from Amazon. I do have the trim tool already - and the kit came with another one.

Didn't think to check if any of the internal plastic grill inserts (grill is ok) or fog like covers are intact. I know at least one of the tow hook covers is missing - so I'll need to source and get all that painted.

I will probably combine this with an oil change and trans drain/fill since the lower shield has to come loose anyway.

Bumper due in about 2 weeks. I'll update then.

Scott

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Bumper cover ordered pre-painted on eBay.
Fog lights ordered from the same vendor as referenced in the link - still selling 10 years later!
Have wiring/taps/fuses on hand. Picked up the now $16 relay from Napa referenced in the link.
Ordered a fastener kit from Amazon. I do have the trim tool already - and the kit came with another one.

Didn't think to check if any of the internal plastic grill inserts (grill is ok) or fog like covers are intact. I know at least one of the tow hook covers is missing - so I'll need to source and get all that painted.

I will probably combine this with an oil change and trans drain/fill since the lower shield has to come loose anyway.

Bumper due in about 2 weeks. I'll update then.

Scott
There should be a relay for the fog light since your profile show you have the Sport model. All models except the Base have the fog light, relay, and fog stalk. Was the fog light damaged?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am not sure what you mean by "fog stalk". I will have to do more research. The turn signal stalk on my car doesn't show anything related to fog lights on it - just twist for parking/headlights.

The paperwork said it is a Sport, but it does not have fog lights, nor does it say Sport on the door, which I believe they all did. It does have 17" wheels and is AWD.

I just assumed since the instructions said I need a relay that I need a relay. I didn't actually take it apart and look. It doesn't have a button for fog lights - but one is included with the kit.

Scott

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
I am not sure what you mean by "fog stalk". I will have to do more research. The turn signal stalk on my car doesn't show anything related to fog lights on it - just twist for parking/headlights.

The paperwork said it is a Sport, but it does not have fog lights, nor does it say Sport on the door, which I believe they all did. It does have 17" wheels and is AWD.

I just assumed since the instructions said I need a relay that I need a relay. I didn't actually take it apart and look. It doesn't have a button for fog lights - but one is included with the kit.

Scott

From the information you described it appears you have the Base model since all Sport model would have the Sport logo on the doors and will come with fog lights.
The Sport model also have a different headlight stalk that contains the control for the fog lights.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the details.

From reading the thread you linked, it seems like I could either go with the Stalk that includes the controls or the button alternative described in the first post. I'm going to do the button.

More in a week or two when the bumper gets here and I get it all put together.

Scott

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
Thanks for the details.

From reading the thread you linked, it seems like I could either go with the Stalk that includes the controls or the button alternative described in the first post. I'm going to do the button.

More in a week or two when the bumper gets here and I get it all put together.

Scott
If you go with the stalk with fog lights control, the install will be different. You need to connect the factory wiring to the fog lights (using a female harness you sliced into your wire) and buy a Toyota compatible relay that fits in the slot of the car.

Using the switch and connecting it without a stalk for fog light control would be simpler and cheaper. (no stalk, no Toyota relay, and no fog light harness connectors to buy).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thank you so much, particularly to DL175 and KTL. The new bumper is on the car and looks great. I've got the fog lights in, but didn't feel like working into the night to do the inside wiring, so I'll wrap that up next weekend.

The only thing that went wrong was that I ordered a "multipack" kit of plastic Toyota plugs from Amazon, and it only had 2 of the 5 different things I needed. I was able to re-use some and re-purpose some others so its all back together ok.

Scott

·
Registered
164 Posts
How is the paint job on the bumper, and how well does it fit compared to the original, any gaps or miss alignment?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The color match is spot on. Its not as shiny as it could be - but that's pretty immaterial for me at 11 years and 250k miles. There is some orange peel. You might not be comfortable with it on a brand new car if you are supremely picky.

The external dimensions are spot on. Zero excess gaps, clips right in at the fenders and fits perfectly around the lights.

Along the long edge at the bottom, there was a bit of a wave to it - possibly caused by shipping. You could fix that by back-setting it with a piece of steel, or just live with it. The deflection was maybe 1/2". Some of the bottom tabs were bent 90deg - possibly from manufacture.

For the grill inserts, a few of the clips were't quite in the right place, but with a bit of force you can get them where you want them and they hold securely.

I was able to get every fastener back in - all the holes did line up (with a little finagling).

Overall, obviously not OEM, but surprisingly good for the price I paid (under $190 painted and delivered).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Finally got around to the inside wiring. Not hard. The awesome directions in the reference thread helped immensley.

One lament... one of the bulbs burned out after being on for less than 20 minutes. I left them on when I dropped the car for my wife at her office. She drove home in the dark and I asked her how they were and she didn't notice. Grr. Anyway, guess I get to go back in through the wheel well and swap the bulb.

·
Registered
4,402 Posts
The halogen bulb should not be touched with your bare hands since the oil will coat the bulb which shortens the life. Wear latex gloves to install.

There is not much light from the regular halogen bulb on the fog lights. A great mod is replacing the 9006 bulbs with H9 Philips 65 watt Halogen bulbs. It will give twice as much light than the normal bulbs but you need to mod the bulb. Just google H9 mod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts