Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a drain and fill with the transmission pan only takes 4 quarts of the ATF WS Toyota fluid. I wanted to drain the front differential, and since it's part of the transmission, how much will come out of there as well, if I pop the drain on both the transmission pan and the front differential?

I have a 2006 Toyota Rav4 3.5L V6 with 4WD.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,698 Posts
Your vehicle is a 4WD which means you have a transfer case. Vehicles with FWD have a front differential only. The transfer case hold half a quart of fluid. The transfer case fill bolt does not have much room for a ratchet. I think it is less than 3/4 inch clearance which is not much room. One method is use a 10 mm hex key in which you may have to cut (the head not the handle) it shorter. Use a 10 inch pipe to extend the hex key to give you more torque. The fluid of my choice would be synthetic gear oil like a 75w90 like Mobil 1.

You also have a rear differential which uses the same fluid as the transfer case. It holds half a quart also.

If you drop the pan there is 1/4 of a quart or more in there. You should clean the pan bolts and put new blue locktite on each bolt. Just be careful taking the bolts off since they are delicate and avoid using an impact wrench or power drill. Using penetrating oil on each bolt before removal will ensure less chance of snapping any since rust may inhibit problems removing the bolt.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I just did this in the past two days. I concur with DL DO NOT use an impact wrench to attempt to take the bolts off the ATF pan. I broke two of them when I attempted to do this and it sucked. I didn't have time to drill them out either, so I ended up using a bead of RTV around the corner and over the bolt holes where they sheared off. I would pick up some propane or MAPP gas and hit each bolt for a few seconds before taking them off. I did this and it made the job a lot easier.

Front diff uses a 10MM hex and I was able to use a 3/8 ratchet with slightly long bit to get them off. They are on there very tight though, I would also take off the fill plug before the drain plug. Pick up a small pump from an auto store for the gear oil bottles.

I drained about 5 qts of ATF when I took the pan out, cleaned the magnets, and then put a new filter on. I'd still check the level afterwards the rubber gasket was real brittle on mine and leaking oil like crazy.

Get a new crush washer as well, I think mine has a real tiny leak for not replacing it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I did replace fluids on my rear diff and transfer case last night. Will spray some penetrating oil on the trans pan bolts the day before it is done, and use a open end wrench or nut driver to remove and install. I bought 5 quarts of atf so that should be enough. I'm hearing it taking 4 to 4.5 quarts for a drain and fill.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts