Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, new to the forums and need some help/advice.

I have a 2004 Rav that I bought a year and a half ago with 45,000 miles on it. It was in great shape and was as tight as the day it came off the showroom floor.

Fast forward to about a year ago and a clunk developed in the front end. Upon inspection I saw that the drivers side strut was blown. I replaced it and figured that would solve it. The clunk never went completely away but it got quieter....for awhile, then was back. Had the passenger side sway bar end link replaced and once again the clunk got quieter but then came right back. Replaced the passenger side strut just a short while ago and the clunk remains...

Put new tires on it and had it lined up, figuring if anything major was wrong they would catch it and let me know but they apparently didn't find anything.

I took it to my mechanic to have him find the source and he couldn't. All suspension components were tight with no movement. He just did a visual inspection of the motor mounts and said they looked ok...

So I am confused and frustrated at this point. What could it be?

Motor mounts bad?
Steering rack bad?

Help please!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Clunk when? While going over bumps or while accelerating or stopping? The rear motor mount I would focus on or a ball joints. Try lifting the front of the car up and pull the wheel at 6 and 12 o'clock. You can even insert a large shop screwdriver under the tire and try lifting it, if the ball joint is going up and down inside its own housing its bad and it will clunk.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts