Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1998 4wd. I have a noise (kind of a friction sound) in the front end. My rav4 is a manual trans, the noise isn't noticible until i get over 45 mph. I have put the trans in neutral and it still makes the noise. I have tried turning sharp in both directions and it acts normal. It doesn't pull either direction at any speed either. Any suggestions as to the problem would be great. I did check the gear oil on the front and back and both were good.

Thanks,
Jack

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes actually that is what it sounds like. starts around 45 or 50 and gets louder

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
front end noise 97 Rav

I have the same problem in my 97 Rav4, I find that soon as I reach up around 60km/h it starts and grows louder. it sounds like it's comming from driver's side. But I found that when i make a right hand turn (or gradual right turn) the sound disapears, and when I make left hand turn the sound is still there. I would also like some suggestions? Could it be a ball joint? :?

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Noise

The noise you have is the wheel bearing, probably the drivers side the way you describe it

·
Registered
779 Posts
These noises can just be tire wear if your tires are unevenly worn. Above a certain speed I used to have a lot of noise from the rear until I replaced the tires.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts