Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
2001 AWD Base

Been having a problem with a thumping sound coming from the front end when on rough surfaces. Shop changed out worn sway bar links but that didn't take care of the issue. They can't seem to find the source but are able to hear the noise.
One mechanic mentioned a very slight sloppiness in the hole the caliper bolts/pins run through. I've done front disc brakes many times and can't fathom the sound/clunk/thump I am hearing being generated but just that.

Anyone else experience this or similar front end thumping?
Solutions? Suggestions?

·
Registered
2004 Rav4 L 4wd, 2005 Galactic gray 4runner V6 4wd
393 Posts
THINK ITS THE SWAYBAR BUSHINGS, replacing that ended the clunk on most vehicles

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
Agreed on the swaybar bushings. I've fixed the same issue on a few vehicles by replacing them. My '99 F-250 was okay driving down the road but would give a clunk, clunk, clunk every time I turned into my driveway with the front wheels running over the raised apron at an angle. For a quick fix I shimmed the bushings with an 1/8" piece of flat stock.

Could also be a strut. Had the right front one on our RAV4 literally start banging over bumps due to running out of oil. If there's any sign of oil on a strut or shock it's bad.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
I've done front disc brakes many times and can't fathom the sound/clunk/thump I am hearing being generated but just that.
If anything on the brakes is loose enough to cause a thump or clunk light pressure on the brake pedal will stop the noise making for an easy diagnosis.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts