Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering why there is a shaded/blacked out area on the front facing camera. I didn't notice this when we picked up the vehicle. Is there a purpose or is there something wrong with my front camera?

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've been wondering that too. I didn't even realize this view was available until a couple of days ago, when I played with pressing the coffee cup button. On mine, the "blacked out" area appears to just be very dark, but still has an image. All I can imagine is that you're not supposed to be driving around looking only at the camera views. But it does shut off at about 10mph.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I've been wondering that too. I didn't even realize this view was available until a couple of days ago, when I played with pressing the coffee cup button. On mine, the "blacked out" area appears to just be very dark, but still has an image. All I can imagine is that you're not supposed to be driving around looking only at the camera views. But it does shut off at about 10mph.
If you push the button again it will just be the side view mirrors only. You can also have it on auto when you slow down enough the camera will activate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since it is shaded, and not completely blacked out, I'm going to assume it's intended to prevent the camera from being washed out from the sun, as it is pointing straight forward, opposed to downwards like the other cameras.

I had something similar done to some home security cameras that would be useless during certain daylight hours, the tech put a very similar section of shading on the camera that allowed only a small portion to be less visible but allowed the image to be good throughout the direct sunlight hitting the lens.

I keep mine on auto and find a bit useful from time to time.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts