Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was one of the first real nice sunny days here in a few weeks (it's been raining a lot). I noticed for the first time there were at least two palm sized dents in the upper edge of the front drivers side fender. The *only* way those could get there was from someone leaning heavily on the fender. Was it no coincidence that last week I had a stone deflector installed at the dealership and the week before that was the first oil change? The Rav was dirty, the skies cloudy so noticing the dents would be more difficult. I stopped by my dealership today, thinking they would take care of it or at least work something out. I spoke with one of the service guys and showed him the dents. Of course he claimed there is no way they could have done them since they work from the front of the vehicle, not the side. Although it's painfully obvious that someone leaned on the vehicle and even the service guy said that. Uh... so it's just a coincidence that work is done on my Rav and these dents appear? Then I showed him the 12 inch long multiple scratches in the rear passenger door and said those showed up right after the paint sealant was done. He said 'so you got a scratch, that happens'... I almost felt like telling him to *F* off at that point. I wasn't there to argue, I was there for customer service. After 5 minutes of excuses from him he said we should go talk to the service manager to see if he will pay for it. It's just the way he argued with me and the complete lack of any concern that just pissed me off. I told him to forget it and drove away. $100 later and the fender is as good as new... $115 I didn't want to spend today....

Rob

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Rob -
Thats a real bummer. I assume you got the dents taken care of with one of those paintless "Ding Doctors" that pushes them out with from the inside with their custom rods??

I've made it a habit of going around my vehicle with a fine toothed comb, and inspecting for scratches or dings BEFORE I bring it in to the dealer or other service shops, and sometimes I've even taken "Before" pictures before dropping it off. I'm a real anal fuss budget about my paint finish, and let 'em know it beforehand. Some dealers make it a practice to wash your vehicle whenever you bring it in for service - a good way to get swirls and scratches. I seldom do, but on those rare occasions I make a trip to the dealer, I give them explicit instructions - "No washee!!" :)

OC

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I too am the same way. There is not one ding or stone chip anywhere on our Rav and we are gonna try to keep it that way asa long as we can. I had it to the dealer this week to fix a smal item and I was so nervous to pick it up.. No damage! Some dealers are hacks,. its a shame

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OCInsomniac said:
Rob -
Thats a real bummer. I assume you got the dents taken care of with one of those paintless "Ding Doctors" that pushes them out with from the inside with their custom rods??

I've made it a habit of going around my vehicle with a fine toothed comb, and inspecting for scratches or dings BEFORE I bring it in to the dealer or other service shops, and sometimes I've even taken "Before" pictures before dropping it off. I'm a real anal fuss budget about my paint finish, and let 'em know it beforehand. Some dealers make it a practice to wash your vehicle whenever you bring it in for service - a good way to get swirls and scratches. I seldom do, but on those rare occasions I make a trip to the dealer, I give them explicit instructions - "No washee!!" :)

OC
Yes I went to a paintless dent repair shop and they did an excellent job. I always try to inspect my car too, but these dents were quite inconspicuous unless you looked at an angle and with good light. I stopped by the dealership again today and spoke with one of the salesmen about what I thought was a poor response from their service department. He's going to write a note to the sales manager and see what he will do. I don't like the feeling of having to bitch just to get decent service. Even if they don't pay, they least they might have been able to do was get me a discount on the dent removal. If the dents were in the back then yeah, they probably did not do them. However given they did some work and the dents are on the top portion of the fender, does that not at least indicate a possiblity they caused them? Oh well, I'll just wait and see what happens.

Rob

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not heard anything back from the dealership after a second visit there last week. I spoke with a salesman just before closing and mentioned the dents and how I thought the service department didn't handle it very well. He was supposed to leave a note for the sales manager, but maybe that didn't happen or the guy just didn't care. I guess the next time I am there I will have to raise the issue again...

Rob

·
Registered
218 Posts
I'm thinking those front fenders are a little soft. I've got multiple dings in the driver side front fender from a hail storm we had about a month ago. It's the only place on the entire vehicle that was damaged.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts