Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear all,

I installed front fog lights for first time and they do not light up, only the rear ones that was already on the car.

The fuse in the cabin is ok, the fog lights or not burned out.
-First troubleshooting was placing the relay of the rear fog into the socket of
the front fog but still no change.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
268 Posts
You did not say, but I assume you have factory wiring. So you're adding the lights, switch, and relay using factory connections, right?
And you do understand the headlights or parking lights need to be on to power the fog lights.
Then start by listening for the relay to click as you turn on the lights, then check ground in fog light circuit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
KSNancy,

thanks for reply see answers next to questions:

You did not say, but I assume you have factory wiring. So you're adding the lights, switch, and relay using factory connections, right?
Adding lights and relay only as there is already a switch on the turn signal lever.
And you do understand the headlights or parking lights need to be on to power the fog lights. Yes, when the headlights are on but only the rear fog lights turns on when when turning the fog light switch
Then start by listening for the relay to click as you turn on the lights, then check ground in fog light circuit. Ground is ok I measured the black-white wire to the battery ground and it's ok.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
When I installed my fogs, they don't come on without the headlights on. Did you test with your headlights on?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
With my headlight on only the rear fog lights came on. The relay of the front fog light is not getting any power.
troubleshooting I did was swapped the relay of the rear fog with that of the front fog and still no results while on the dashboard I can see the fog light indicator is on.

The solution I handled is connect the power wires of the front fog relay with the rear fog relay, So now the power of the rear relay is powering both relays.

Why there is now power at the OEM connection of the front fog relay socket while the fog light indicator is on is something I still want to figure out. But maybe there is no connection with the main power source as the car came OEM without the front fog lights installed.

I'm glad I can turn both rear fog and front fog on when ever I want.

Thanks you both for your input

·
Registered
5 Posts
In the dark...

I'm glad your install works. But I've gotta ask; by front and rear fog lights, do you mean that one set is up front in the stock light housing and one set under or around the rear bumper like big reverse lights?

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I believe many European countries require them...helps the vehicle to be seen better in poor weather such as fog...

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
I believe many European countries require them...helps the vehicle to be seen better in poor weather such as fog...
Never knew that, so since our best friend is google, I learned that they are indeed required in most European countries, but they must be red, not white as the picture seems to show. Indeed, most of the US prohibits anything other than a red light on the rear while travelling forward. The OP doesn't note where he lives, but white fogs on the rear would seem to be illegal pretty much anywhere.
As I said, they appear to be white to me, but if I'm wrong, forget everything I've said.:wink

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Never knew that, so since our best friend is google, I learned that they are indeed required in most European countries, but they must be red, not white as the picture seems to show. Indeed, most of the US prohibits anything other than a red light on the rear while travelling forward. The OP doesn't note where he lives, but white fogs on the rear would seem to be illegal pretty much anywhere.
As I said, they appear to be white to me, but if I'm wrong, forget everything I've said.:wink
the rear ones on his rav look slightly pink to me...the rear fog light uses a bright bulb, kind of like their brake light element...look at an Audi or Mercedes driving at night and on many of them you will notice bright lights on the rear that appear to be brake lights...i believe these to be the rear fog lights...and many times you will only see cause the other side has a burned out bulb...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The rear fog lights are red, I have attached a new picture with the lights off.

The RAV4 is indeed an European market vehicle where rear fog is required I think.
That's why it came stock with rear fog working and front fog light and front fog relay not installed but the wires are there.
Looking at those rear fog they looked like reflectors till I installed the front ones.

So first thing you think is add the front fogs and the relay and it will light up.
but I was wrong there is no power send to the front fog relay so I ended up connecting the power of the front fog relay together with the power of the rear fog relay.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
The rear fog lights are red, I have attached a new picture with the lights off.

The RAV4 is indeed an European market vehicle where rear fog is required I think.
That's why it came stock with rear fog working and front fog light and front fog relay not installed but the wires are there.
Looking at those rear fog they looked like reflectors till I installed the front ones.

So first thing you think is add the front fogs and the relay and it will light up.
but I was wrong there is no power send to the front fog relay so I ended up connecting the power of the front fog relay together with the power of the rear fog relay.
Earl, thanks for clearing the fog on that one!:laugh

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No problem Ravenuer,

the rear fog lights appear pink/white cause of the camera used to take the picture, you can see that even the tail light appear pink/white. and the rear fogs are nearly as bright as the brake lights.

For the rear is not needed/required where I live in Suriname South America I removed the relay of the rear fog light.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts