Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever removed the front grill(s) with the chrome strip (2014 model)? I've searched all over the place but have not been able to find out whether this can be done fairly easily, or if it requires removing a lot of other stuff first. It appears there are just some clips on the back (judging from photos of replacement grill parts), but I don't know if attempting to just pull them off is a good idea.

Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
for me the chrome strip on the grill it flow with the design of the headlight

do you want to plasti dip to black the chrome accent?

someone should help us photoshop request the grill to black.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure that's what the OP was looking at doing. But it has been done, there is a thread about it with pics. I've used blackout tape(made for covering up chrome trim) to cover mine. Looks like it came from the factory that way. I never liked the chrome strip. I don't have any pics of mine though but here is the thread.

http://www.rav4world.com/forums/125-4-4-exterior/194218-inexpensive-trick-3m-black-wrap-over-grille-chrome.html

I'm looking for a way to remove the grill from the vehicle, then to remove the chrome strip from that. There are clips or pins in the back, but I don't know if they are single-use clips or not. But removing the chrome strip will leave the empty groove that it fills, plus some screw holes, I think. So that would require some other alteration to look right. Plain black grills would look better IMO than with the chrome strips.

Something like this:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Geneva_MotorShow_2013_-_Toyota_Rav4_Adventure.jpg

·
Registered
19 Posts
I plastic dipped the grille matte black, is this what you were thinking of doing?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Similar to that, yes -- I figured out how to get the grilles off and decided to paint them red and to leave the chrome strips as-is. But I'm calling it my first attempt -- I don't like the shade of red I used.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I've updated the red to a different shade that I like better, and painted the sides of the grilles (by the headlights) black. The black turned out a little glossy. I just wanted to do something different from the norm.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
No. No, not to my taste at all. But to each their own. I've seen much cheesier things posted here. If you like it that's all that matters. Just know that you are wrong in liking it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Some others have given me positive feedback in person so far. I'm not done yet with it yet, this is the first mod I've made in a series I hope to do.

EDIT Retracted negative reply to previous post.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Dude. You don't have to remove your pics and not post more mods just because I don't like it. Others may like and want to see what you've done. But keep in mind not everyone will like what you've done when you post pics and may say so. This is a public forum free to offer opinions positive or negative. Don't get all mad just because I was a bit of a jerk about it. This is the interweb and you have to have a thick skin about it.
This is a great forum and while I may not like something you've done I don't hesitate helping you or anyone else I can on here as well.

And I assumed the smiley face was implied after my last comment. Sorry if it offended.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dude. You don't have to remove your pics and not post more mods just because I don't like it. Others may like and want to see what you've done. But keep in mind not everyone will like what you've done when you post pics and may say so. This is a public forum free to offer opinions positive or negative. Don't get all mad just because I was a bit of a jerk about it. This is the interweb and you have to have a thick skin about it.
This is a great forum and while I may not like something you've done I don't hesitate helping you or anyone else I can on here as well.

And I assumed the smiley face was implied after my last comment. Sorry if it offended.

It's not offensive if you don't like it, it's obviously not a design many would pick. Saying it's wrong to like my own style was pretty strong. If I knew that's how you roll then maybe I could have seen your implied smilie. I apologize for the negative response and retracted it.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
It's beautiful! Except those red grills though. Everything else is tasteful, subtle and understated but those red grills just put it over the top, bro.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts