Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Where are you putting your front license plates? I don't see any place where it can really go, and could find no pre-drilled holes (or even starter holes) for it. In our state it is still a requirement to have the front plate on a car (I know that it isn't in some), although I have not put a front plate on our other car (for the same reason) and we have not been stopped in 5 years.

·
Registered
168 Posts
And I thought I was the only one with that question. When I picked up my RAV from the dealer, the front dealer advertisement plate was already mounted. They drilled two holes in the middle bar and put in coarse threaded sheetmetal screws. You can see it in my album. I've since added the real plate along with a plate frame. I was concerned about it flexing in the wind at high speeds, so I got two rubber bottle stoppers (shaped like the corks in an old fashioned medicine bottle) and put two more screws in the bottom holes of the plate frame. They make perfect bumpers against the lower portion of the bumper and now all four corners are in contact with the bumper. I think it will also help if I happen to pull in too close to a snowbank.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I just put a pic of the front plate addition I made into my album. It's not the best pic, but it was pouring outside when I took it.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found the dimples. I didn't see them yesterday because there was rain on the vehicle. What is the purpose of the open row that the license plate will be in front of? Is that just decorative or does it serve a purpose? (I am showing my ignorance of vehicles)

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
BTW, those of you who are patsies (like me) about doing much of anything to the exterior of your vehicle, if you take the car to your dealer's svc dept they should install your front plates at no charge. They should even give you a free plastic license plate holders so you can advertise their dealership on the front and back of your car. Ours did, at least. It took them about 2 minutes. They used something called a "dental pick," which I do not have in my toolbox anyway.

Of course, no anti-theft bolts or anything, but I have never had plates stolen and don't know anyone else who has either... so I'm not worrying about it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Hehe, I just noticed today that in Arizona they just use the rear license plate!!!....They don't use front license plate! So I don't have to worry about destroying the pretty front of the rav with the license plate....

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Lucky for you! I of course live in a state (nee Commonwealth) where they plate front and rear, so the dealer had to drill and sink self-tapping screws into my poor bumper. :(

·
Registered
43 Posts
My in-laws own a Nissan Altima and it has a front plate mounting bracket. They live in Flordia so they don't have a plate. I'm wondering if another brand's license plate mount could be leveraged. The Nissan one is tapered to the contour of the front bumper and would keep the plate from straining the screws used to mount in the plastic.

My state uses the front plates and I was frankly upset when I saw that they bored holes in the cover. IMO You would think that Toyota would have come up with something better.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts