Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

I just wanted to know if i'm the only one getting this.
I have a rav4 2013, stock lights and the front lights dim when turning the steering wheel.

Here's some info:

-During the night it's easier to see it.
-AC is off, radio off, in fact every accessories that consume power is turned off.
-The car is on (I mean, the motor is running)
-The car is on Drive
-I'm holding the brake pedal (or not)
-Just turning the steering wheel from left to right and my front lights are dimming.

Of course everytime I go the my service appointment (oil change) I will say it but like every dealer they always say "oh, that's normal.. your asking a alot of battery power and blablalbla, that's normal"

But, right now my rav4 is at the dealer for another issue and they gave me a prius and the car doesnt have this issue. My brother corolla 2014 doesnt have this issue.

Can someone try it on his rav4 (2013 or up) please ?

Thank you

·
Registered
54 Posts
Good day everyone,

I just wanted to know if i'm the only one getting this.
I have a rav4 2013, stock lights and the front lights dim when turning the steering wheel.

Here's some info:

-During the night it's easier to see it.
-AC is off, radio off, in fact every accessories that consume power is turned off.
-The car is on (I mean, the motor is running)
-The car is on Drive
-I'm holding the brake pedal (or not)
-Just turning the steering wheel from left to right and my front lights are dimming.

Of course everytime I go the my service appointment (oil change) I will say it but like every dealer they always say "oh, that's normal.. your asking a alot of battery power and blablalbla, that's normal"

But, right now my rav4 is at the dealer for another issue and they gave me a prius and the car doesnt have this issue. My brother corolla 2014 doesnt have this issue.

Can someone try it on his rav4 (2013 or up) please ?

Thank you
I just bought a 2015 LE and I noticed that the headlights slightly dim when I press both front window buttons down when the windows are completely closed. I mean, you know how one might just give both buttons a tweak to insure that they're both closed all the way? I get a slight dimming when I do that. I'll try the turning thing tonight and report back.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
That's normal. It is a heavy load for the electric power steering for an idling car turning the wheel at a standstill. While driving at speed the alternator is taking brunt of the load rather than the battery, and the load is much less turning the wheel of a moving car than a stationary or very slowly moving one.

Although, I'll add that if it's really pronounced and dims a LOT it may be a sign that the alternator may be going bad. Especially if it does it at speed as well. But it's not unusual for lights to dim slightly while turning the wheel of a stationary car and then rebound when you stop turning the wheel.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Electric power steering draws a lot of power, but the dimming shouldn't be noticeable with the engine running. With the engine stopped, and the battery providing all the electricity I would say it's normal, but with the engine running, even at idle, the alternator should provide enough power to keep the voltage stable. I have two other Toyotas with electrical power steering and none of them has this issue.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts