Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking about this in class the other day. Behind the piece in the middle is a bar, what if we took off the plastic (or painted it?), mounted some lights on the bar, and put black mesh in the rest? I made a photoshopped picture of my rav and what it might look like: (I added the clear corners and grill for fun)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
I've already took off the middle plastic piece that covers the bumper reinforcement bar. Also took off the bar too. :roll: :lol:

The lights that you have pictured (looks like Hella 500s) will probably stick out a bit from the front of the bumper if you mount them to the reinforcement bar.

Better yet, buy a front nudge bar and mount it to that. My bar has a mounting plate on top with 2 pre-drilled mounting holes for lights. 8)

Good idea pancake, probably smaller sized driving/fog lights will fit better in the given space though. :D [/img]

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I never even noticed you took it out :p . As for the lights I just google image searched for "car lights" or something and scaled them down to fit in there. I didnt feel like getting up to measure :lol:

I like the nudge bar, but dont at the same time. I think it looks good but I dont want one. So I want another way to mount some big lights :D

Question about the bar, was it just bolted on, or did you have to cut it off? How did it look after you cut the plastic off (the hole that was left)?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The reinforcement bar is just bolted on to the frame. You will need to remove the bumper to access the bolts however, but removing the front bumper is very easy. :D

When you cut the plastic shroud that hides the bar from the grille area, you will see exactly what you see in my pict. above. From the sides, however, you will see the cut off part. If you can live with the looks of the cut out area, then it is all good. :)

If you do not want to go with the nudge bar route, then I would suggest that the best place to mount a pair of 6" driving lights would be on top of the bumper. You can custom make some mounting brackets that attach to the top of the bumper frame behind the grille.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
pancake said:
I like the idea of the lights in the bottom part there though. Maybe remove that bar, and get a plate and hang the lights upside down, or if theres a plate on the bottom then mount them right side up. I think it would look cool with big lights in there.
Your idea is probably still doable. There is not much depth clearance between the air condenser and front of the bumper. What you will need to do before buying your driving light is research what the depth of the various lights are from the mounting tab of the light. You may still have some interference with the condenser rubbing the back of the driving light or wires. :cry:

Another concern is that a lot more rocks are kicked up and hit this particular height of the car, depending upon how close you follow other vehicles. If you plan on leaving the driving lights exposed without their covers, it might have a greater tendency to chip or crack from kicked up rocks.

Also, it is recommended that driving lights be mounted as high as possible for maximum efficiency. Usually the height of the driving lights should be mounted about the same height as the headlights of your car. Foglights are much more efficient mounted down low, especially where you are planning to mount your lights.

Lastly, although this may not be too much of a problem; is that with the size of lights that you are planning to mount in the lower grille area, it will affect cooling efficiency of your vehicle. Just some thoughts to ponder before taking on your project. :D

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I already thought about most of these things, but most of it was dreaming without even looking at the car.

The bumper has those little notches that go down to support the plastic. Removing the bar of plastic would look wierd without removing all those little pieces, lessening the chance of my parents allowing me to do it. I figured if theres a thin enough light and the bar is spaced a bit, it would fit without extending too much past the front.

Right now I have little rectangular lights in there, and they do a great job of lighting up the sides and upclose stuff, which is why I want bigger lights (plus the cool look).

About heat, I know the lights get pretty hot, but how much would affect it?

If I still had my 3d program I could model it out, I need to get that back, maybe this week.

This was just an idea I was throwing out while it was still fresh in my mind. Someday I'd like to do this, but right now I'm working on my parents to let me get the clear tail lights/front bumper lights, and an intake.

I also recently got white neons under the seats, looks cool :):

·
Registered
685 Posts
Pancake, I see you've got roof racks......what about big driving lites up there??? In my album you'll see what I mean.......and as Derek says.......the higher the better, what a difference it makes :shock:
Search "Roof lites" and you'll find an existing thread with the wiring routing......

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Actually I was planning on removing those soon, I dont use them and think it looks better without them. Plus I only drive on the road and want to illuminate that, mostly in front and to the sides some. My little lights work fine, but when I have more money and time and am allowed to do it I probably will, which wont be until im probably 18. :shock: By then I'll have alot of other stuff done, this will be the final touch :roll:

·
Registered
750 Posts
I have done this mod and tried it with 2 options:
- empty space, with 2 foggies mounted to the upper plastic section
- fill with mesh of same material as grille

the answer to cutting these pieces and having holes in the bumper, is to take the piece you just cut out, and snip some rectangular inserts for the "holes" and carefully JB Weld them in place. If you're a perfectionist sand it

its a fun weekend project with no experience necessary, just a good cutting eye. You don't even have to take off the bumper, though if you have enough experience with panels, it'll make life a little easier.

the lights work pretty well, but I would NOT recommend mounting them to the plastic, since it vibrates them too severely, and getting the angle is difficult. The grille material looks pretty sweet, to be honest, especially if you have the same material for the hood grille too. Maybe toss on a "TSport" emblem as a kickback to the inspiration, OG Derek (by OG, I mean Original Guru, word. 8) )

M

·
0 Posts
Pancake, if you're interested in selling the roof racks, let me know, I'm going to add a set to mine.

Thanks!

Michael

·
Registered
90 Posts
There was this now defunct japan rav4 website, lowsneakers, back in the day, where they not only put those Hella lights up in front, but also had a full Bomex kit, lowered suspension, aftermarket rims, headlight conversion, AND matching kayak strapped on their roofrack. I'll post up some examples of their rides if I can fimd'em.

Peace

·
Registered
199 Posts
That does look mad, UFO like! Love the red aspects of the Rav tho. Problem with having lights mounted so low are stones! I have 2 lower spotties which came as standard on my model of Rav as there is a lower spoiler and within 1 year one was cracked (still working tho!) and only 2 weeks ago the other one cracked. Typically cos my Rav is a 1999 model Toyota have discontinued the lights that fit there so I am now looking for replacements that will fit as they now both don't work. I ended up doing like Mohit and installing a unibar and driving lights (with stone guards!) onto the front and they work just great.
(Pics on the RavOz site as I haven;t a website to host for this site)

B

·
0 Posts
pancake said:
Someday I'd like to do this, but right now I'm working on my parents to let me get the clear tail lights/front bumper lights, and an intake.
Yo pancake, before you buy the white front corner signal lights, let me know! I'm pretty sure there's a few R4W members that would love to get their hands on these! I do at least... :)

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Raify, besides the kit in that picture you have the coolest bumper around. I've been thinking of fiberglassing a lower part, like the OEM aero kit, but include lights on it, that'd be cool, but I couldn't do that for a while.

Brownboy, I already have the clear tail lights and bumper lights, and the intake. I got a deal off a member who was clearing his rav4 of parts. Check out my cardomain and you'll see.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts