Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading through the history in RAVWORLD, but have not found the answer to this question:

I'd like to upgrade the front row seating in my 2008 Rav (which is terrible).

Does anyone know if there is an easy just plug-n-play model that would work?
We just did another 1000 mile trip this week - I was a little homocidal!

Please help!

And - I'd love any information you have, like - how to go about figuring this out. Should I just measure the bolt holes in my RAV then start measuring others' to see if it'll slip in?
What kinds of things does the replacement need? I think there's airbags? I have cloth now and would be happy with cloth or leather replacement, as long as it sat better. Good grief, why is the RAV so uncomfortable!?!?!

·
Your Humble Administrator
16,513 Posts
Good grief, why is the RAV so uncomfortable!?!?!
Well, you did buy the cheapest base model. If you had gotten the Limited, it would have come with a power seat and adjustable lumbar support, usually in leather. You get what you pay for.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Well, you did buy the cheapest base model. If you had gotten the Limited, it would have come with a power seat and adjustable lumbar support, usually in leather. You get what you pay for.
We must have got lucky, our base model seats are quite comfortable. It's probably more of a matter of form over function. :cool:

·
Registered
14 Posts
I don't think lumbar support or leather would help all that much assuming they have the same springs/padding/etc.

I know what you mean about the seats being somewhat uncomfortable. I had to adjust them to a position that I thought was too far back before they became comfortable for me. Even though my back doesn't hurt I have considered seats that might be more accommodating. I find the seats in the rav to be too cramped for lack of a better word. They seem to impede moving and reaching around the cabin.

Here's some I'm toying with the idea of picking up: https://www.carid.com/procar/procar-pro-90-racing-seats-159699676.html

I think basically any universal seat would do. However, like you said, the airbags in the factory seats would be lost. I guess you'd have to be ok with losing some protection for some added comfort/space.

·
Registered
8,110 Posts

I don't like leather seating surfaces - even when the interior temperature is comfortable leather causes perspiration. In my last car with leather I had to buy one of those inexpensive trucker-style ventilated car seat cushions. My base RAV has the Value Upgrade Package, which includes somewhat upgraded seating but it still could be improved.

In some prior discussions it was suggested that the OEM seat could be taken to a good upholstery shop for custom remaking, but of course one would need to be careful for the inbuilt electrics and airbags.

·
16,513 Posts
I don't like leather seating surfaces - even when the interior temperature is comfortable leather causes perspiration. In my last car with leather I had to buy one of those inexpensive trucker-style ventilated car seat cushions.
I agree with you, in fact when I bought my RAV I insisted on a Limited with the deluxe cloth seats when almost all of them on the lot had leather. Then a few years later, in a moment of stupidity, I bought a leather recliner for the living room. It's always hot, and when I turn on the ceiling fan my wife gets cold. Just can't win. :confused:

·
Registered
8,110 Posts
I agree with you, in fact when I bought my RAV I insisted on a Limited with the deluxe cloth seats when almost all of them on the lot had leather. Then a few years later, in a moment of stupidity, I bought a leather recliner for the living room. It's always hot, and when I turn on the ceiling fan my wife gets cold. Just can't win. :confused:

Yep! - about leather recliners. Even more stupidly, after my hot seat experience with leather car upholstery I also bought a leather recliner! Throwing a thermal blanket over it helps some, but that obviously has its own heat retention property! :serious

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks folks.
Yeah, I know. Base model means no comfort.
I went to the dealership today and sat in the new RAVs... wondering if a 2017 seat would fit in my 2008....
Anyway - thanks, folks.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Thanks folks.
Yeah, I know. Base model means no comfort.
I went to the dealership today and sat in the new RAVs... wondering if a 2017 seat would fit in my 2008....
Anyway - thanks, folks.
Unless you found a set of 17s in a junkyard, that would probably be a very expensive proposition.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
...Yeah, I know. Base model means no comfort.
I still have to disagree as I find the seats in my base 09 (same as your 08 seats) are quite comfortable. I test drove a new XLE RAV and not so sure if they are any better. The fabric is tight and seems thin, and not sure the extra side bolsters would be my thing. If I buy new, I'll be sure to think about it. Seats--and chairs in general--depend on the person and highly subjective and personal. I sometimes work in an office and there is no end to 'rear end' comfort opinions regarding chairs.

I do add a sheepskin cover to my car seats, even my Camry with leather--and my motorcycle. Warm in the winter, cool in the summer. Maybe your solution is as simple as a seat cushion. There are some other topics on this forum with products that help solve seat issues.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a Limited 07, the worse seats ever .
Toyota, had a recall on " heated seats " but then said it was only for cloth seats. Funny, I didn't know they made heated seats with cloth ? Either way they the heating element has destroyed the leather and cracked the sides. The passenger side is fine due to no use of heater. The only part of the seat is the heated part that is cracked. I recommended never getting " leather again in my Toyota " My sister is 3 x's my weight and never had an issue with her heated seats. So I'm going with it's not pounds per inch. I would also like to switch out my seat but when I followed up about it becasue its electric I could not go with base model seat. I had basic in my first RAV4 2000. I never had issues and felt it was comparable.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
Toyota, had a recall on " heated seats " but then said it was only for cloth seats. Funny, I didn't know they made heated seats with cloth ? Either way they the heating element has destroyed the leather and cracked the sides. The passenger side is fine due to no use of heater. The only part of the seat is the heated part that is cracked. I recommended never getting " leather again in my Toyota " My sister is 3 x's my weight and never had an issue with her heated seats. So I'm going with it's not pounds per inch. I would also like to switch out my seat but when I followed up about it becasue its electric I could not go with base model seat. I had basic in my first RAV4 2000. I never had issues and felt it was comparable.
Try looking one at the junk yard to find one. There are many wrecked RAV4 that crashed their cars and the seats are still good. A new one will be very expensive though.
Also consider the option of getting higher quality seat covers.

·
16,513 Posts
Toyota, had a recall on " heated seats " but then said it was only for cloth seats. Funny, I didn't know they made heated seats with cloth ?
I've got an '08 Limited, and specifically asked for one without leather. It came with deluxe cloth seats, which have very little wear on them. They aren't heated, but heated seats are pretty much useless down here.

·
Super Moderator
10,895 Posts
I have a Limited with cloth seats which is my preference. It has power & lumbar for the driver seat.

Oddly I find the manually adjustable seat in my gals Base model more comfortable. Whodathunk it??????

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
I would also like to switch out my seat but when I followed up about it becasue its electric I could not go with base model seat.
Does not seem right. If you do not care for heated seats, anything that bolts up should be fine.

·
Registered
37 Posts
REVITALIZE: I have a 2012 and I have reached my breaking point with the terribly uncomfortable leather seats. I have no desire to try a cloth rav4 seat as it will be similar. Has anyone actually replaced their seats before? I am at the point of needing to replace the seats or I am going to sell the car and look into a RX350 which has much softer cushioned seating. Any recommendations on compatible replacement seats would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,130 Posts
REVITALIZE: I have a 2012 and I have reached my breaking point with the terribly uncomfortable leather seats. I have no desire to try a cloth rav4 seat as it will be similar. Has anyone actually replaced their seats before? I am at the point of needing to replace the seats or I am going to sell the car and look into a RX350 which has much softer cushioned seating. Any recommendations on compatible replacement seats would be appreciated.
Maybe just get the RX350 since the price is not that far from the RAV4. Also the ride is better too.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Maybe all you need is new seat covers instead of new seats or a new car. I bought my car used, and the leather seats looked like someone had sweat a lot on them. I got some Wet Okole neoprene covers and have been happy with them. They fit well but also make the seats extra cushy. I even had the space to add a thin pillow between the driver's seat and the cover to raise me up a little. You could add some foam padding where you want and make a custom fit.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Our seats are broken down in the padding dept, but that will happen in 300,000 miles. We are planning on cutting foam and rebuilding them this year, with added lumbar support.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts