Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
There have been previous discussions about changing 4.3 gen.seats. Depending upon the problem, I recall that one member found some extenders which would allow additional forward-back adjustments to increase the clearance between the steering wheel. Others who were thinking of changing seats suggested going to a town blacksmith or welding fabrication shop and having adapters made which would use the existing seat frame to floor mounting points, since those apparently are reinforced for safety. After all of that I decided to live with the OEM setup but have to take breaks to do some stretching exercises.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I'm specifically looking for What is different / Why aren't the seats compatible across all 4.3 Gen years....not their comfort as you noted that's been covered online -a lot. :)

p.s. Why am I interested? Because I would like to try out the electric/power seat option in my base level, and due to the wide range of opinions on their comfort - no consensus - I'll try them myself, and being able to choose from all 7 model years makes it much easier to track one down.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I'm specifically looking for What is different / Why aren't the seats compatible across all 4.3 Gen years....not their comfort as you noted that's been covered online -a lot. :)

p.s. Why am I interested? Because I would like to try out the electric/power seat option in my base level, and due to the wide range of opinions on their comfort - no consensus - I'll try them myself, and being able to choose from all 7 model years makes it much easier to track one down.
Chances are the “compatibility “ is due to similar appearance. Our 2011 matrix had the same seats as our 2012 Base RAV (touring package with upgraded cloth). Having seen my way around MANY older cars and trucks, it’s surprising how common a bolt pattern can be (70’s-90’s Ford seats are almost all interchangeable on the seat tracks!) and seeing the same seats in a Matrix tells me Toyota did the same. Within a generation, 4.3 for example, it’s almost certain that the seats would bolt in. Will the airbag connectors match? Unknown. There were different headrests and fabric patterns in 2006-2008 vs the later ones.

·
Registered
48 Posts
^Your timing is very good. :)

I am swapping in a 2007 RAV4 Limited Electric / Power Leather Driver's seat into my 2009 Base model with manual cloth seats (the passenger is not power so not bothering). Power seat has position adjustment (fore/aft), seatback angle adjustment, cushion (front) angle adjustment, vertical height adjustment and lumbar support adjustment.

The one I bought also had an aftermarket heat elements installed in the base and back. Makes it easier to wire up. Just needed a 12v and ground. :)

Summary: It bolts up perfectly. The seat belt buckle and seat air bag position sensor connector might be different. Mine didn't come with the seat belt buckle and the connector for the seat position airbag sensor had been cut, so wasn't usable. I was able to just swap the '09 seat belt buckle and seat position harness to the '07. The seat position connector plugged in the same. Also the seat rails are different - the rear plastic trim pieces from my '09 don't fit.

Edit:. Don't do this>>>>>I'd left the clock and Passenger On / Off Indicator unplugged (they share a connector) when I'd removed the center console stuff, which caused the Airbag light to stay on. For reference, I found that you can pull the codes - HERE - and the codes I have pointed to the Indicator.

See the install HERE.

Seat is definitely more adjustable - EXCEPT - it doesn't go back as far as the manual seat. Overall it appears to have lest fore/aft travel. Seat is firmer, but since both are used hard to say if my original manual cloth seat wasn't just worn a bit. Still getting used to it, but like the adjustability.

·
Registered
8,379 Posts
Good to hear that your seat swap is workable. If it were do-able I would swap the front seats from my '11 RAV4 Base with Upgrade Value Package for those from a Honda CR-V. The seats in my wife's '10 CR-V EX are vastly more comfortable, and I have tried seats in other RAV4s as well. But for other reasons I'm keeping my V6 RAV4.

·
Registered
590 Posts
For the record I have a love/hate relationship with my seats. In 2014 I drove 15 hours straight from TN to ON, never once got stiff or sore. When my back is right, these seats are all-day comfortable. When my back is even slightly off, fuhgeddaboutit ( ). I will say that 2 minutes into my morning drive (when we did such a thing, remember those days?) I can usually straighten up nicely in the chair and I’m ready for the day. With our Golf, it’s always easy to get the right setting, even when my back is acting up.

Strange things these Toyota seats... I still consider putting one in an office chair base to use at work (remember that?)

BTW wtdash, did you consider keeping the manual seat tracks from the RAV with your Highlander seat? I know you wanted power, but between power and comfort I’d rake comfort (if you can get the right position with manual settings)

·
Registered
48 Posts
did you consider keeping the manual seat tracks from the RAV with your Highlander seat? I know you wanted power, but between power and comfort I’d rake comfort (if you can get the right position with manual settings)
I did not. I don't weld and didn't want to have to deal with fabricating anything....but I also didn't look that close to see if by any chance they're both just bolted on.

I drove my RAV4 to work (20 mins each way) and already like 'em.:) Two drawbacks (so far) are they don't go back as far as the manual seats did, nor is the recline option as vertical as I prefer, but probably OK. I'm average 5'10" and prefer arms straight with an upright seating position....I don't like being reclined.

BTW, for your back? Stretching and walking are keys. :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
I have another gripe with the seating. In my other Ford cars I could keep the hands on the steering wheel and my elbows would rest on the door panel perch and on the center console. They are generous in size.
On all the Asian cars that I own/owned (Hyundai, Kia, Toyota) the elbows are hanging in the air. Console is too small, the door perch is low and small... I can lower the seat only so much. Steering wheel adjustment that low and close would be weird too.
I am 5'11" tall. 180cm. Maybe I have a longer torso than the standard Asian person?

·
Registered
590 Posts
I have another gripe with the seating. In my other Ford cars I could keep the hands in steering wheel and my elbows would rest on the door panel and on the center console. They are generous in size.
On all the Asian cars that I own/owned (Hyundai, Kia, Toyota) the elbows are hanging in the air. Console is too small, the door perch is low and small... I can lower the seat only so much. Steering wheel adjustment that low and close would be weird too.
I know you had the 2nd generation Exploder, but my 2002 fit like a glove!

·
Registered
453 Posts
I know you had the 2nd generation Exploder, but my 2002 fit like a glove!
I was complying about Asian cars.
Explorer, Taurus, they have nice seats with nice arm rests. Except if you are taller than 5'11" in that 2002 - I have drove one and it had just a bit of space above my head. I think the seat motors are taller?
I still have the 2001 cars, they are running technically. My kid drives one. Can't sell the others now... nobody is looking.

·
Registered
590 Posts
I was complying about Asian cars.
Explorer, Taurus, they have nice seats with nice arm rests. Except if you are taller than 5'11" in that 2002 - I have drove one and it had just a bit of space above my head. I think the seat motors are taller?
I still have the 2001 cars, they are running technically. My kid drives one. Can't sell the others now... nobody is looking.
Oh I knew you meant you liked the Ford. Transmissions were crap but the seating was great! I’m 6’ on the dot and was able to get just the right fit (Eddie Bauer leather seats) so I was quite happy. But you’re right, the headroom was snug.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Appologize for OT: My two remaining 2001 Fords have no issues at about 180-200k miles. But I drained/refill the transmission oil at about 40k miles and I used Lubegard additive since i got them. I even changed the transmission pan with Dorman ones that have drain bolts (OE don't have that).
I did the same when I got the RAV4 (drain/refill).

21 - 32 of 32 Posts