Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did something stupid. I bought a 2012 Sport leather seat kit from Katzkins on eBay (the price was right - $137 shipped). I didn't do my due diligence researching whether the Sport 2012 seat kit would work on my 2007. I have installed the 2nd row just fine - everything is apparently the same between 2012 Sport and 2007 Base except for the headrests. The front seats though are quite different. They are similar enough - however the Sport model has plastic seat back panels and the base doesn't so I have a problem. The kit I have doesn't have a back to the front seats since it assumes that there is a huge plastic piece to go over it. I'd rather use the rest of the kit I have (instead of buying the right kit and redoing everything) because of the work involved redoing the 2nd row and the cost in buying a new kit.

I can buy a seat back panel for my year for about $90 from a Toyota dealer (cheaper from a salvage yard but none are close to me). My question for the community is: can I install a seat back panel (from the sport/limited model) on a base model front seat? If so, I can probably still use these front seat covers.

I tried to contact Katzkins to see what they would charge me for just the front seats from the 2007 kit - they would do it, they said, but not to me since they are wholesale only. If I can't get these front seats installed I'll have to buy a new kit. If that's the case, anyone know of an inexpensive leather kit available for the 2006-2008 Base Rav4?

Thanks in advance for suggestions/help.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toyota changed the front seats in 2009 to include a dynamic active headrest. This document shows what was changed in 2009. The front seat are on page 107
Thanks for the link. I wonder if that changed the frame so much that a seat cover designed for 2012 model wouldn't fit on a 2007 model. The cover seems like it would fit just fine on my 2007 if I had the plastic seat back panel. Another question then is: what is the difference in the seat frame between the base and sport/limited models for my 2007? - in other words, would the seat back panel from a 2007 sport/limited fit on my 2007 base model seat frame?

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,893 Posts
Another question then is: what is the difference in the seat frame between the base and sport/limited models for my 2007? - in other words, would the seat back panel from a 2007 sport/limited fit on my 2007 base model seat frame?
I'm sure it would. The seat frame and cushions are the same. Only the coverings are different. The only other variable would be the power lumbar support in the Limited seat back.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts