Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a 2005 RAV4 as a commuter car, and so far so good, except for the front seats. The seat bottom is way too short, and the seat bottom deos not tilt back ar enough. I'm spoiled because my other car is a BMW M3 with sport seats, and the other family cars are VW's with much better seats. Anybody else have the same problem? What did you do about it? Any other Toyota seats that might swap in? Aftermarket? Modify mechanism or mounting to make them tilt farther?
MikeG

N

·
0 Posts
bad lumbar support

Yeah I agree the front seats are not comfortable. Always irritates me for driving longer commutes 30min+. Tried mini-pillow but didn't help. Haven't found a good solution yet.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I agree. It is one of the few complaints I would have about the RAV.

Especially when I paid so much for the LTD edition with leather seats.
For that money they should be have been better on the support, movement and power features.

However, they are extremely practical for the average user to get in and out of (flat) rather than sporty form fitting.

My problem is coming from the gym with nylon gym pants and forgetting not to drive aggressive. I usually get reminded after a sudden brake or sharp turn. :shock:

I would have liked something like what Buick has with power every direction, form fit, and soft.

B

·
0 Posts
Front Seats

You may have different seats to the Aussie model (called EDGE). It has cloth seats which aren't too bad.

If the angle of the swab or base is wrong, you can fit packing washers under the front part where the bolts go through. You may need longer high tensile bolts if you pack too much.

Brian

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Last night I tried some 1" spacers under the front mount, and it does make it a lot better. The seat is till too short for long legged people though.
MikeG

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is one aspect that I think is bad in almost all Toyotas that I have driven before, the seats are bad. The lumbar support is minimal or badly placed as in the RAV. The Swedish cars like Volvo and SAAB have put in lot more money in their seat construction and you feel the comfort the moment you sit in them. This may force me to abandon Toyota cars in future. It's a pity because my RAV is so much fun to drive otherwise. I hope Toyota is listening!

·
Registered
881 Posts
Re: bad lumbar support

Nutella said:
Yeah I agree the front seats are not comfortable. Always irritates me for driving longer commutes 30min+. Tried mini-pillow but didn't help. Haven't found a good solution yet.
You should try those angled head rests with a helmet on, picture having someone in the back seat kick you in the head every time you go over a bump, lol. Those head rests/restraints and the lack of lumbar support are what make these seats suck. There are neoprene covers with built in lumbar support available but they are a little expensive for my taste.

·
Registered
682 Posts
If you're unhappy with the seats you can always go to a trimmer and get extra padding and bolstering in the right places.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not a bad idea. I had a motorcycle seat redone by an upholsterer and it turned out pretty well. Has anybody tried any add-on bolsters in the lower leg area?
MikeG

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I thought I was the only one complaining about the front seats being so unconfortable. I have to adjust many times to find a good position, but then after I get used to one, when I let my mom borrow my car, she changes everything and there I am adjusting the seats again. It takes about 2 weeks for me to get used to the seats :?. I've been planning on buying one of those small pillow with memory foam material, but I haven't had the time.
I'm so glad I'm not alone :)
Miriam

S

·
0 Posts
Hmmm what an interesting topic. I never noticed anything wrong with the seats before but i probably will after reading about them, come to think of it i do find that the seats are a bit hard and doesn't adjust very well for taller drivers. :?

F

·
0 Posts
Well, I'm 6'6" tall and I can tell you I'd buy anything that would give me some more leg room. I'm giving serious thought to making some brackets that allow the seat to go further back. I've done it before on other vehicles and it worked ok. However the 04RAV has a sensor attached to the driver's seat that tells the air bag how far back the seat is located. I may have to find a way to work arond this issue. I haven't had a lot of time to think it through, but I'm getting close to trying something.

T

·
0 Posts
i've seat in M3 before and the seat is so hard... i like my ravseat better... if you think front seat is bad... try asking your friend to take you around in the back seat... it feels like ... i dunno train or something...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
ultima16888 said:
i've seat in M3 before and the seat is so hard... i like my ravseat better... if you think front seat is bad... try asking your friend to take you around in the back seat... it feels like ... i dunno train or something...
Is that good or bad :?. I think I sat on my car in the back seat once, and I don't think it was bad, I don't know, probably cuz someone else was driving :p.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'm 6' 4" with size 13 shoes, and I found the same thing as soon as I drove my '01 RAV4. I pulled one of the front seat bolts and found longer high-grade bolts, then spaced the front seat mounts up about 1" higher. With the seat adjusted all the way down and back, it's OK. Did the same thing for the passenger side.

R

·
0 Posts
One of the problems with the front seat is that when you try to raise or lower the height, the entire seat angles forward or backward and not independently as most other cars do. So, if you want more height you are awkwardly pulled and angled forward; less height and you are awkwardly pushed and angled rearward, as if on a swing.

Couple that with no thigh support, no seat grip and angled headrests and you have one awful-designed and incredibly uncomfortable seat.

I don't think they had anybody over 5'11" in mind, or the average American (height and weight), when they built this SUV. It's one of the very few complaints I have with the Rav. Otherwise, it's a nicely designed and engineered vehicle.

M

·
0 Posts
When I got my RAV4, I found it hard to find the 'right' seating position for me. When I was comfortable, the steering wheel felt too far forward - I'm 6', but with relatively longer legs. It just took time to think about it and work out what I wanted, and now they're the most comfortable seats ever. :) It's as though planning what to try, rather than trying willy-nilly, made the difference. Don't ask me to explain. :D More notches on the seat-back ratchet would help immeasurably.

As for passengers, well, two mates and I went on a short trip. The 6'2" guy sat in front, the 5'1" girl in the back, and both of them remarked what a comfortable vehicle the RAV4 was - indeed, more comfortable than his Audi A4.

·
Registered
986 Posts
So how did you work out what you wanted?

I suffer from the same problem of having long legs.

M

·
0 Posts
Well, as I said, my issue was that I felt the steering wheel was too far forward, and no comfy position would bring it any closer. So really, it was a compromise between ideal leg position and ideal back posture. This is really going to sound pedantic, I mean who actually thinks about how to position a car seat? :roll:

By moving the seat as far forward so as not to be uncomfortable, and by tilting the seat back forward enough that I didn't feel my butt was caught in a vice, I found the steering wheel just a tad too close. Adjusting the height of the wheel to my liking and then tilting the seat backwards another notch, I found a position that I could easily get used to and that wasn't uncomfortable. So really, it was a case of going from discomfort towards comfort, not the other way around.

I reckon that I'm probably the upper limit on how tall a person could be and still be quite comfortable in those seats - they definitely were not designed for tall people. But the issue for me was not the seating, but rather the position of the steering wheel being too far forward.

If this is any help at all, Jeff, I think I'd be rather surprised!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts