272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody done this? have any tips?
I plan on getting the strut plus, strut with spring installed
my biggest worry is rust, vehicle has 246,000 miles on it

·
Registered
807 Posts
Not personally, but had them done last fall. It was about a $600 job out the door with my local guy. I want to say it was $300 in parts + labor. My car had about 130k and needed them BAD.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Just replaced mine on Friday, 2001, AWD. No big deal, but it helps to have an impact gun. Bottom bolts torque to 105 lb-ft. It also helps to have two jacks, one to raise the car, the other to support the wheel and line it up with the new strut when installing the bolts.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did the change this past weekend, you don't need a impact gun if you apply rust penetrant and a long ratchet/breaker bar. I suggest putting the penetrant on at least a day before you do it, and then squirt a little on every 1/2 turn at first. Also, the stabilizer bar that attaches is going to be a bear since it uses a hex, it was obvious it wasn't going to come off so I took a hack saw to the opposite end that doesn't connect to the Strut, and finished it off with a dremel tool. That part cost me $8 and probably should be replaced anyway.
I got 248,000 miles out of my struts, hope I get another 248,000 on this set. lol

be careful, keep your hands away when disconnecting, use a jack to lift the frame, then when you put the new strut on use a jack under the wheel to raise it to align the holes in the strut and also the stabilizer bar. This is a simple job, the only problem is rusted bolts. And get the complete strut and spring.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts