Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did tire rotation lately and noticed front strut rubber boots disintegrated completely after just 6 years. Should I do anything about it or just disregard. I tried to find repair split rubber boot for the struts but could not.
Thank you, Leorav4

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
There is no easy quick fix like a split boot replacement. The entire strut needs to be removed to get to the boot. Mine is split in half in the middle so I have to wait until the strut is replaced to do it. There is no point replacing the boot now since the strut will probably be changed sooner or later.

·
Registered
129 Posts
i replaced mine with KYB SB111. the top part is a thick rubber cushion insulator and will still be usable. i took my strut apart and cut the top part of the strut bellow off. stick in KYB SB111 and reuse top insulator part and it should be good.

·
Registered
2,499 Posts
i replaced mine with KYB SB111. the top part is a thick rubber cushion insulator and will still be usable. i took my strut apart and cut the top part of the strut bellow off. stick in KYB SB111 and reuse top insulator part and it should be good.
If I'm following you correctly, you removed the strut, took it apart, slipped a new boot on and put the old strut back in?

·
Registered
3,717 Posts
Why not get a strut boot with the whole piece that look like the original strut boot/insulator ? The KYB 2B111 is just a universal fit and made of plastic not rubber like the original. You can get inexpensive strut boots exactly like the original Toyota strut boots (made of rubber and has the top insulator piece) : Monroe 909931 or Febest THSB-ACA30F.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts