Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The front struts on my 2007 RAV4 base went out on me. My mechanic is saying it will cost between $800-$900 to replace the front struts. This seems way too expensive but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had them changed at a local mechanic? This is not a dealer or a chain repair shop. Thanks

·
Registered
80 Posts
That sounds crazy high to me, but I have never had them done. I can do them myself in about 90 minutes without rushing. Parts are under $300. Once the wheels are off, there are only 7 fasteners per side to undo to get the struts off the car, and they are all very easy to get to. Taking the strut apart to move the spring, seat, boot, bearing and such to the new strut is not terribly hard or time consuming.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
The front struts on my 2007 RAV4 base went out on me. My mechanic is saying it will cost between $800-$900 to replace the front struts. This seems way too expensive but I'm not sure. Has anyone else had them changed at a local mechanic? This is not a dealer or a chain repair shop. Thanks
I'd make that "my former mechanic." I do my own work so the labor is free and fun, but even so that price is waaay high! I posted all my prices and parts a couple years ago and only replaced the right front one, but with a new boot from Toyota and a replacement-quality strut from eBay I'm sure I didn't spend even $75 on parts. Labor, some of it dangerous, maybe an hour.
So $200 labor and $200 parts only comes to half your former mechanic's price.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Earmantis have a look at Shockwarehouse.com They have low prices and free shipping for struts/shocks. The front struts are only $75 each (KYB). Labour according to Cars.com estimate at $73-$88 for the two struts.
So the front with labour and parts should be close to $230 which means your mechanic is no where close to this amount.

·
Registered
67 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Typically labor is 1.5 hrs per side. Plus the alignment. Plus parts.
3.0 x 85/hr = $255 labor + 120 each parts = 240 + alignment $80.
255 labor + 240 parts + 80 alignment = $575.00
800-900 seems too high.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
The trick is to get struts and new springs that are pre assembled. When your shocks are dead, there is a good chance that your springs are sagged too. Swapping out assembled struts from your car is a simple task. Taking struts apart and putting the old spring onto a new strut is time consuming and no fun.
KYB shocks and struts for cars and trucks - Shockwarehouse.com

My advice is to buy a pre assembled strut, then take it to you mech and say install this. Should take about 1 hour of labor 2 at the most. Most mechanics charge about $100/hour of labor.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
SO that was a little bit of bad advice as the linked product is for a gen 2, and a pre assembled strut was not readily available for the 4.3. I think monroe makes one called a "quick strut". But I am not a fan of monroes nor did I find a part number for our cars.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Monroe is terrible. You'll be replacing them in a year.
The quote I have for labor time is what we always got when I worked for Toyota

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'd go with Kyb. Unless you have the dealer do it. Yes more money upfront but lifetime parts AND labor warranty on suspension and exhaust.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thanks guys. The dealer was actually cheaper. They quoted me $550 for front struts. I got the front struts, new wheel bearing, inner tie rod, and alignment for $1,200. A little higher than most shops but i wanted it done

·
Registered
74 Posts
... My mechanic called today to say the parts were in and didn't sound happy when I told him I went to the dealer for less $$... Oh well I did what I had to do:
So you had your mechanic order the parts, but then had the work done elsewhere? That was uncool of you, very undude.

·
Super Moderator
10,218 Posts
The dealer was actually cheaper. They quoted me $550 for front struts. I got the front struts, new wheel bearing, inner tie rod, and alignment for $1,200. ... My mechanic called today to say the parts were in and didn't sound happy when I told him I went to the dealer for less $$... Oh well I did what I had to do.
Agreed. As I called him in my post #3 your "former mechanic."

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
... My mechanic called today to say the parts were in and didn't sound happy when I told him I went to the dealer for less $$... Oh well I did what I had to do:
So you had your mechanic order the parts, but then had the work done elsewhere? That was uncool of you, very undude.
I won't lose sleep over it. He shouldn't have overcharged. Have a good day boss

·
Registered
7 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I have a 2007 V6 Sport, 122,050 miles. I was told by my Toyota dealer this morning that the front struts are blown out and need to be replaced. They quoted a price for the complete job at $746.31, parts, labor, taxes and shop supplies (rag for the mechanic to clean his hands with).

Guess I'll be shopping this around some.

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
Glad I found this thread. I have a 2007 V6 Sport, 122,050 miles. I was told by my Toyota dealer this morning that the front struts are blown out and need to be replaced. They quoted a price for the complete job at $746.31, parts, labor, taxes and shop supplies (rag for the mechanic to clean his hands with).

Guess I'll be shopping this around some.
Order from toyotaonlineparts.com and have a mechanic that charges not too much to install them.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all. Brand new member. I own a 2010 Base model. I am also planing to replace my front struts (just like EarlMantis). I've done the home work as far as shopping around and these are my two cents:

1- Monroe does not have a Quick-Strut unit for our models (MrPullDown said that !!!)
2-I've shopped around, and if one were to replace the strut and add all the bells ( Strut Boot, limiting bumper and upper mounting plate) ....we will be looking around $200/side. (Note: You still have to transfer the spring!!!!)

That being said...$900 ... WAAAAAY TOO MUCH.

This is the question.....
Has anybody replaced the front struts doing a bolt off-bolt on procedure using "complete units". If so, can you please advise where to get them.

Thank you guys.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts