Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota wants a stupid amount of $ for their tow hooks, and the tool kit was gone from what I bought. I need to install two for kayak now tie down lines. May go make my own or buy some generic tow straps.

Does anyone know the thread pitch of the OEM hook shafts?

Thanks!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Stupid is $47 each from one dealer in the area. I searched eBay, and the anodized tuner kind was all I was finding. Plenty of tow hook covers, which I don't need.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,759 Posts
Here's a picture of my towing eyelets, also known as tow eye, tow hook, or hook assy, front. Part number 51961-42050. Just saw one on Ebay for $30. Yes, somehow I ended up with 2 of them:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's a picture of my towing eyelets, also known as tow eye, tow hook, or hook assy, front. Part number 51961-42050. Just saw one on Ebay for $30. Yes, somehow I ended up with 2 of them:

Yep. Just what I need, and two of them. There's also this route, if the right bolts are located:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/131134074552

Or these:

http://m.ebay.com/itm/201218424929

Just bought car, needs front brakes, a hitch, and tow hooks. Found a reputable Class III for $100, and don't want to spend too much on hooks (or straps). Right now I'm liking the strap idea. I spent a good bit of time today getting the salvage yards to look in the back of their RAV4's for me. No luck. Also missing, arm to operate the jack.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nice update:

Went back to the dealer I bought the vehicle from. They retrieved a tool kit from another one they had, which I needed because the additional jack components were there also, along with a tow hook. I don't feel great about the problem being downstream for the person who buys the other car, but I can't control what happens then.

I then tried one final Toyota dealer, who will sell me the second one for $34 and have it for me tomorrow. So, better day. Now on to some mechanical annoyances.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Interesting! I got two tow-hooks with mine, and the tops are painted black, possibly to make them easier to see in the snow. :) My rationalization from MinneSnowta.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 RAV4 Towing eyelet - Missing

Hi all, I bought the 2018 RAV4 last week. But, I cannot find the Towing eyelet. And, I went back to dealer. They asked me to buy $120 ??? Do I need to pay for it??

·
Registered
4 Posts

Hi all, I bought the 2018 RAV4 last week. But, I cannot find the Towing eyelet. And, I went back to dealer. They asked me to buy $120 ??? Do I need to pay for it??

120$....if u spend that, something is wrong with you, unless u r very desperate/rushed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts