Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2015 RAV4 XLE and the front vent adjacent to the radio rattles annoyingly. I can push on it to make it stop for a few minutes, but it keeps on rattling. It only seems to do it when it's 75 degrees or lower in the cabin.

My 5,000 mile checkup is this week and I was going to mention it to the dealership, but if they can't replicate the issue, has anyone been successful at popping it out? I was thinking about putting foam tape around any areas that it makes contact with the console.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Might it be quelled with a little lubricant? I had an annoying squeak in the same spot. I squirted a little WD40 into the seam. Problem solved.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,922 Posts
DO NOT use WD-40 or any petroleum based lubricants on plastics. For a rattle like that I recommend a good silicone spray. It doesn't take much.

·
Registered
293 Posts
"WD-40® Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40® Multi-Use Product."

WD-40 Brand FAQs - Learn About WD-40 Brand's & Our Products

Are our dash parts polycarbonate (symbol 7 Other)? They're certainly not clear polystyrene (Symbol 6 PS). I've used WD40 on myriad types of plastic--including my '13 Rav4 dash parts--with zero problems.

Just some additional info to help the OP make an informed decision.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Hey Circus, if you're speaking of the top dash vent, I've already been back to the dealer twice for a squeak in my 2013 Limited.
When it's bad, I don't even have to hit a bump or anything, it just makes noise all day long - Maddening!
Summertime heat seems to trigger mine.

By the time I got to the dealer for my service/repair, they couldn't replicate it. Fortunately, I got it on video prior to my appointment.

They ended up adding more felt insulation around the vent. We'll see how it holds up.

Being this is the second time I've brought it in for the same issue, there's now a record of a persistent problem which
may be of benefit after the warranty expires.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have the same problem. I just touch it and it goes away, but returns as soon as you take your finger off. Will try silicone. Hope that works OK.
Update...I tried using original armorall. Didn't work. Is there a way one can take the left hand side vent off (the one just to the left of the nav screen in a 2015) and pack something in there? Hate to have to pay the dealer a hundred dollars for a 5 minute fix! Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Rattle Fixed

I had a rattle on my 2013 RAV. I finally tracked it down to the left, lower corner of the cover around the NAV and two center vents. While trying to locate the exact source I found pressing in many places around this cover seemed to fix it. I was able to stick a toothpick into the left, lower corner until I could have the dealer fix it. In the end they put a thin felt adhesive strip around the back of the cover. They left a short piece stuck on the dashboard for me to see what they used. Not sure if that felt is installed in the factory and was installed wrong, or if the dealer just added it. No charge since it was within the 2 year dealer service period.

I had another strange rattle from the windshield area. After many attempts to find it, it turned out to be the button in the garage door opener clipped to the sun visor. A little felt adhesive fixed that:doh:

·
Registered
46 Posts
For my 2015 Limited, the rattle is indicated by the red arrow. I took it to the dealer with this photo and they stuck some tape under the top vent, nowhere near this location, so I still have the rattle. When I press here the rattle goes away...returns when I take my finger off. Is there anyway of getting this off myself to stick some felt or some other material in there? Otherwise, will have to take it back to dealer. Tried using a liquid silicone, but to no avail. Any help appreciated. Thanks.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
The service guy told me it "just pops off". I played with removing it but when it didn't seem to want to come off easily I just decided to wait until the next service. I stuck a plastic/flat toothpick under the corner (shown in pink) and it worked fine.

I had thought about stuffing a little wad of felt in there, and would have, except it was under warranty and I was due a service very soon.

If you take it back stick a toothpick in that corner so they can't miss it.

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
This is a VERY common complaint since 2013 at this spot. There's a few similar posts - I had same issue as well. Dealer will RE/RE the vent and install some foam tape although it's easy to pop those vents off and fix yourself. Easy as pie.
Hope they've fixed this design issue with 2016 mid-model refresh.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Check this out! I did this 3 years ago and the rattle NEVER came back. Simple fix!
http://www.rav4world.com/forums/124-4-4-interior/134258-dash-vent-squeaking-3.html

It is indeed that center right vent that is the issue! Was the same for my case as well.

Here is what to do. Its a 1 minute job but works!

Apply armour all to a thin small cloth. Make sure the cloth is damp with the armour all. You can use a paper towel instead like a previous poster mentioned...

Now, push some of the cloth underneath and on the sides of that center right vent (where the vent meets the dash). Push back and forth, right to left etc.

You are basically "lubing" the contact points of that center right vent....

For good measure, spray just a little of armour all underneath the vent (wipe off the excess that will certanly drip down).

I did this, and the squeaking sound disappeared immediately. Has not come back since....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts