Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello and happy thanksgiving

Im having a problem when im cruising with the rav. It seems as if it sounds like i have offroad tires when i dont. Mainly the sound comes from the passenger side. Sound increases when going faster so i have determined it is the wheel bearing (researching and looking at forums.) I havent got the tire on the air to shake it but according to the internet it is that. Tomorrow i will try and jack the tire and see if it wiggles. My question is if i have to buy wheel bearings what should i look for? (brands) i am currently looking at the pepboys webpage and they have the ProLine wheel bearings not sure if they are good or not. Any reccomendation will be appreciated.

P.s: This will be my first time changing a wheel bearing. I have already looked at procedures so i have an idea of what to do. What i do not know is what i have to make sure to have or replace such as seals and what not

·
Registered
609 Posts
When the bearings wore out on mine, the shake test felt good but they were bad.
It only takes a small amount of movement to be bad.

Inner and outer seals need to be replaced. Also look at your wheel hubs, if they are not in good condition this would be the best time to replace them. Toyota also recommends replacing the cotter-pins, snap-ring, and the big axle nut.

I don't know if the fwd is different and it may be different.
Do you plan to remove the steering knuckle or use the non-Toyota way and replace the bearing with the knuckle in the car? I did mine in the car so I didn't need to get a new alignment and it went mostly well.
I got in a hurry on the very last step of the second side and damaged the new bearing, so I got to do that side twice.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Leaving the steering knuckle in place saves the front-end alignment but the hub has to come out either way.
A quick note on hubs, they are cheap. I wish I had install new ones when I did mine.

To remove the hub I borrowed a slide hammer and wheel adapter from a local parts store, it takes a few good whacks and part of the inner race stays on the old hub.

I bought a Front Wheel Bearing Adapter kit from Harbor Freight to pull the old bearing out, then to pull the new one in place and to pull the new hub in place. The kit works well. (See link below)

To reuse my hubs I bolted the hub back to the tire, sat on the tire and used a 2-jaw puller to remove the old inner race.

Front Wheel Bearing Adapters

Not a hard repair if you take your time with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts