Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got my front window shield replaced today thanks to a crack, and the auto shop seems to have put those rubber lower corners in a wee bit high. Anyone ever adjusted these?

Here's what it looks like - over head shot. And frankly that space/lift at the bottom where it rides over the window stripping a bit always annoys the hell outta me.

OKay... lets get closer. In this pic you can see how it's not back to where it was, noticeable holes in the stripping are apparent and wiper tray hole.

Back to the top of the rubber corner guard. Text says all. I can't remember if the top of the rubber guard was OVER the window stripping or UNDER it. Either way, there is not much extra to pull down.

And finally you can in this pic both ends. The top is high.

How can I adjust this? The rubber piece is pretty secure, won't shift up or down, and I didn't wanna start pulling it out without asking you experts.

Also in this photo you can see where my wiper polishing ends, as that part was originally under that corner rubber trim.

I am going to look into replacing both as the tension on the upper lip (see Pic #1 ) is gone and that opening pisses me off. :serious

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Why not take it back to the shop that replaced the windshield and tell them you're not happy with their work? Make them fix it.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Why not take it back to the shop that replaced the windshield and tell them you're not happy with their work? Make them fix it.
It's not like parts are falling off or something is rattling, or the integrity of the re-fit is going to cause major complications. It's a 2mm move on a rubber gizmo that was never ball'n sock tight on these vehicles to begin with, so I'd rather try and adjust it myself than take it back to the shop and look like an anal retentive whiner over 2mm of rubber wedge, the problem with which is probably nothing more than aesthetic.

But that's just me.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
UPDATE:

Went to my Toyota dealership today and the parts service guy said that when front windows are removed and replaced that sometimes the rubber L-shaped corner attachments suffer in the operation.

Also I looked at a 2012 RAV4 on the lot and noticed the part is different than what is on my 2009, namely the 2012 part is closer to a plastic than rubber which is what mine is. The parts service guy said that in 2011, Toyota remade the part so I'm hoping the one I get will be like the one on the 2012. So... I ordered a new set and will pick them up tomorrow. The service guy said it's an easy swap out with minimal alignment fuss.

So there ya are. Good news. Will update tomorrow, with pics.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
It would be interesting if the proper replacement pieces were malleable when warmed up. Warm them up good and form them into place? Oh, wait. Ontario in November. :(

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It would be interesting if the proper replacement pieces were malleable when warmed up. Warm them up good and form them into place? Oh, wait. Ontario in November. :(
From what I saw and felt on the 2012 RAV... the corner pieces are not so hard that they require heating to fit. There is some play. The 2009 pieces were literally "rubber".

FYI... I don't know about Minnesota weather and whether you're shovelling snow like they are in Colorado...but here in Canada, I was wearing a T-shirt yesterday and raking leaves.

·
Super Moderator
11,110 Posts
My '08 Limited needs a new windshield. I'll keep an eye on how it's all put back together.
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Old part on top. New part on bottom. The only difference is that the new part has a strip of comfort foam.

This part is not the same as the one as the ones used on the re-modeled 2011 -12 RAVs. It's still a hard rubber. But since it's new, it is at least "hugging" when installed.

The install is easy. Pull out the old part and insert the new part by pushing the bottom in first, and then snap the top into place after that.

The look of the area WITHOUT the part.

Looking from the top down to the base of the wiper tray.

Final replacement piece in place, one coat of Autoglym trim gel. I had to dab it on for it to hold a shine. Will wait until tomorrow and add more.

Reactions: pico
1 - 8 of 8 Posts