Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here we go. It's winter again and the same crap is happening. When its really cold out, the front doors freeze and the locks don't operate. The rear door locks work fine, but the other's don't until the car is warmed up.
I've tried using WD-40 on the key holes, the inside mechanism by the handle (inside) and also where the door latches.
No matter what I've done it still happens. WTF?!
Any ideas people? anyone else have the same issue? :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

·
Registered
986 Posts
The only problem I ever have is when the driver's window in my Rav freezes shut...it's a little embarrassing when you pull up to the McDonalds drive thru and your window is frozen shut.

Sometimes, usually the night after I wash the Rav, the locks will freeze up, but not often.

P

·
0 Posts
Great! Someone else with the same problem. Every time it gets below zero the front doors freeze and locks freeze. I have all too often had to climb in through the back door (good thing its a big one!)

I just took off my after market roof rack because it fits over the edge and I figured where the rack meets the door seal (rubber) was how any moisture was getting in. Must wait til it gets cold enough to know if that fixed the problem.

Any cures out there?

·
Registered
122 Posts
We have this problem since we own our RAV.

Sometime, it's impossible to lock door, sometime, it's impossible to close door if it is not locked. :roll:

The only thing have found to solve problem is to shoot oil in spray can.

I remove the rubber stopper near the lock and I shoot oil in this hole, in direction of the lock.

But I must do that 2-3 time by winter.

As you can think, the interiors of front doors will not rust with all this oil. :wink:

·
Registered
69 Posts
Although my RAV4 has no this problem, my previous car got the door freezen. Because of this, I broke external door handles 3 times. After I applied a thin layer of car wax on the rubber seals on edge of the doors, the problem did not occur again.

I never experienced freezen door lock before. If it occured, I would take off door internal panel and add grease to all joints.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'll have to try spraying oil in that hole for sure. My other idea was to use white grease on all the mechanisms that are linked to the door locking system. Just a matter of doing it. :roll: Thanks for your help everyone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts