Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One day i was driving fine, stopped at my house for a little bit. When i got back in the car and started it it just made one loud click and thats it. No cranking, nothing just one loud click. Turned the key several times to see if it would do the trick and nothing. Today i bought a new starter, tried it and same result. Tried jumpstarting it and same result. Tried rotating the engine manually to make sure it wasnt seized and it was ok. Tried moving the flywheel to make sure it wasnt stuck and it wasnt. Took the battery to autozone for a test and it came out ok. Cleaned the terminals and it still wont start. Im not sure what else to do has anyone had something similar happened? I would appreciate any help

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Perhaps a defective starter relay (electrically situated between the battery and the starter motor).

·
Registered
8,526 Posts
Where do i find that?
Follow the positive battery cable down from the battery - should be the device the other end of the cable is connected to, but I'm not familiar with the 4.1 version even though that is the general auto industry standard.

·
Super Moderator
10,127 Posts
The problem may very well be in the ground cables. If I was diagnosing this I'd use a 12V test light to see where the power stops, but you can do a few basic checks w/o one. Try to start with the headlights on. Do they stay lit or go out. What about interior lights?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got to turn it on. It was a loose bolt from the positive terminal all along. I feel so dumb i wasted almost a whole day trying to fix the car but at least i got it.

The problem may very well be in the ground cables. If I was diagnosing this I'd use a 12V test light to see where the power stops, but you can do a few basic checks w/o one. Try to start with the headlights on. Do they stay lit or go out. What about interior lights?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts