Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I'm analizing the fuel consumption in my new Rav4 Hybrid 2.5 Feel and I am seeing that there is a very great consumption when I drive in urban.
This consumption is 3.83 liters in 31 km. It means 12,35 liters/100km.

I drive 16 routes with 2 kilometers per route in plain road. The total is 31 km in a week. The average in the speed are 35 km/hour (more or less). During this routes, the eco mode is enabled. The battery never arrives to 4 lines during this routes (the average is 2 lines).

This week I will go to the workshop to expose this unacceptable consumption.

What's your opinion? (I think that this is not normal).

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I drive fairly aggressively and don't try to eek out better mileage at all and consistently get 6.6 litres per 100 kms. 90% city driving.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Vehicle software says 6.6 average. Calculated with a mileage app 6.4 at fill up. Calculated by hand 6.4.

·
Registered
11 Posts
The problem is that you are only driving 2 km (1.25 miles). The RAV4 is not even warmed up by the end of the drive. Cold engine = poor fuel efficiency.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you very much for your answers.
One thing is clear, when I bought the car Toyota said me that, in my daily routing drive (2 km x 2 routes), the consumption should be the urban one exposed in catalog.
I will wait the worksphop answer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
In the first 800-1000km the average consumption is usually a bit higher - you can take it as a "break-in" period. Later it should go down a bit.

~12l/100km during the engine warm-up is quite normal. The indication is there that you still have the warm-up running at the end of your 2km trip is that the battery load indicator is between 2-4 lines. When the battery reaches the 2 lines it triggers the charging procedure which will put your consumption higher even if you drive very carefully. Based on my experience it switches itself off around the 4 lines mark. So your trip basically does not give enough time and chance to recharge the battery from the wheels during regenerative breaking or downhill while you using up some electricity from the battery due to a flat road and careful driving. At the end the battery could be filled up only by using the engine.

Just simply try to go on a longer trip (20-30km) and check the trip's consumption. This would give you a more reliable indication on the values.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes @hsq,
the great consumptions are in these short routes. When I do larger routes, the consumption is very good.

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
One thing is clear, when I bought the car Toyota said me that, in my daily routing drive (2 km x 2 routes), the consumption should be the urban one exposed in catalog.
No car will get decent mileage if only driven 2km, for the reason(s) mentioned. You have three options: 1. Walk or ride a bike (it's only 2 km!), 2. Buy an electric car, 3. Change your expectations.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hello,

to do the calculations I filled the tank to the fullest. I did the routes, and, after 5 days, I flled the tank again. In this way I got that consumption during that week. For this tests I didn't check with detail the monitor panels because I am analizing the real consumption (from the pump). Anyway, I saw that the average consumption was increased from 6.4 (Monday) to 9.8 (Friday).
For my next test I will do the same but waiting 100 km, to see if the tank filling gave me more fuel than consumed. In this way, with 100 km, we would reduce this difference (if it exist).

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Almost any engine will get better mileage if it is broken-in. With today's engines that could be 5,000 miles.
Mine improved a lot after 6,000 miles.
Patience.

·
Registered
846 Posts
Why can't you just use EV mode most of the way? Can't you get 1 km out of a fully charged hybrid battery?

·
Registered
1,991 Posts
Hello,

to do the calculations I filled the tank to the fullest. I did the routes, and, after 5 days, I flled the tank again. In this way I got that consumption during that week. For this tests I didn't check with detail the monitor panels because I am analizing the real consumption (from the pump). Anyway, I saw that the average consumption was increased from 6.4 (Monday) to 9.8 (Friday).
For my next test I will do the same but waiting 100 km, to see if the tank filling gave me more fuel than consumed. In this way, with 100 km, we would reduce this difference (if it exist).
You can use the car's average MPG reading for comparison purposes, its more than accurate enough and it eliminates errors cause by gas pumps.

I'd suggest using the "since start" average reading for comparison.
Now: Drive the car for 15 min in city traffic then return home and shut it off. Immediately start it again and drive to work, see what the average for that trip is, and compare that to the reading if you start the car cold and drive to work.

I'd add that I find it a little disconcerting that you'd use a new car for frequent 2km trips, its pretty bad for a new car.

Why can't you just use EV mode most of the way? Can't you get 1 km out of a fully charged hybrid battery?
EV mode is not available if the ICE is cold. Nor would it be useful to drain the traction battery in that way.

·
Registered
846 Posts
You can use the car's average MPG reading for comparison purposes, its more than accurate enough and it eliminates errors cause by gas pumps.

I'd suggest using the "since start" average reading for comparison.
Now: Drive the car for 15 min in city traffic then return home and shut it off. Immediately start it again and drive to work, see what the average for that trip is, and compare that to the reading if you start the car cold and drive to work.

I'd add that I find it a little disconcerting that you'd use a new car for frequent 2km trips, its pretty bad for a new car.

EV mode is not available if the ICE is cold. Nor would it be useful to drain the traction battery in that way.
Maybe that's why counter-intuitively, the owner's manual (Canadian) says MPG can drop if the driver religiously travels in EV mode.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hello,

I will do the test suggested by rdgrimes after the current test for 100 km without a previous extra route to warm up the car. Thanks!!

·
Registered
13 Posts
The dealership lied to you.

I've had a 2011 prius for several years and know that car very well. Short commutes, especially on cold morning get very poor fuel economy. The engine takes several minutes to get to temperature, and during that time, the prius takes a 30-40% hit on fuel economy. After it's warmed up, the fuel economy will go up to the stated economy. Here in the states, i average about 50mpg on my long 1 hour commute, but during warmup it probably gets 35mpg.

My coworker was looking into a hybrid, but because he only lives 10 minutes from work, i told him to just buy the regular gas vehicle or a plug in hybrid. He'll never get the savings or benefits from a normal hybrid. A plug-in hybrid is a different story.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts