Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 2.2D 100kW Rav4.

For some reason my fuel consumption in Info display is terribly wrong. Usually it shows me about 6.3 L/100km, but when i measure real consumed fuel I get 7.5-8L. Is there something wrong with my car or is it happening to everyone? Is there anything we can do?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
First, you are right - it's not particularly accurate but also to get most accurate readings
you should do a lot of miles to have a good sample. More miles smooths the data.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
The fuel consumption info display on my RAV also is not correct. It provides a general idea about consumption, but the only accurate method for determining fuel consumption is to divide the number of kilometers driven since last filling the fuel tank by the number of liters needed to refill it. Apparently that is what you have been doing.

Reactions: pico

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i was just wondering if only I have such big differences. I though maybe firmware update or something would help.. but I guess it is how it is, though what's the reason showing values that are 20% off.. Hopefully inst. consumption is more close.

Thanks!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I've noticed as well that the fuel consumption indicator is only a ballpark estimate that does not always match what I figure out after a fillup.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
I find that if I zero it out when I fill it, the next time it's filled, the indicated mpg on the dash is pretty close to what I get manually checking it.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I find that if I zero it out when I fill it, the next time it's filled, the indicated mpg on the dash is pretty close to what I get manually checking it.
If the Trip computer is not reset after each fill up, then it will be displaying the average fuel economy since it was last reset. That could include dozens of fill-ups and not just the last tank full which is what you are calculating manually.

So in the unlikely case the OP is forgetting to reset the computer, I am attaching the information from the North American owners manual. Since the OP is from Lithuania, it may not apply to him.

In my Acura product which contains 2 trip odometers, I can choose when they automatically reset (if at all). I chose that "Trip A" resets at every fill-up, and "Trip B" resets with each oil change. The average consumption error has been 5.1% with the computer always showing the least consumption. It seems on highway trips, the computer value and my calculated value are within 2.5%. I suppose that if there was some way for me to calculate only the gas consumed while I was in motion (ignore the gas burned while stopped in traffic) they might work out the same.

On the wife's Subaru I can actually introduce a correction factor into the system, and since doing that the error averages less than 3%.

·
Registered
608 Posts
For Summer fuel, which does not have additives like winter fuel that gives you lower MPG (higher L/km)...

1. Possible overly optimistic calculations. I have that problem with my Subaru Forester.

2. If we trust that the fuel usage is based on readings from the fuel injectors and 100% accurate, it could be fuel evaporation during summer.

·
Registered
244 Posts
That's the same when you zero out the indicator when driving. I always notice that the average fuel consumption before and after zero out gives quite a difference.
But when reeding one or more topics in this forum about the miles per gallon, you'll notice that every RAV4 owner knows that the miles/galon indicator is an estimate.

I am wondering if people with an OBDII scanner read different miles/galon consumtion than what the indicator on the dash gives...

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
For Summer fuel, which does not have additives like winter fuel that gives you lower MPG (higher L/km)...
Opposite for me. Get better MPG with summer fuel. Worse with winter blend. I think they add more ethanol in the winter around here.

·
Registered
27 Posts
That's the same when you zero out the indicator when driving. I always notice that the average fuel consumption before and after zero out gives quite a difference.
But when reeding one or more topics in this forum about the miles per gallon, you'll notice that every RAV4 owner knows that the miles/galon indicator is an estimate. ...

For recent fill-ups, I reset the average MPG indicator at the same time the trip meter after returning to the drivers seat. When comparing the averages between the fuel consumption indicator reading with what I calculated manually, there was a difference of 0.8 mpg & 0.2 mpg. A third time it was way off, but I think I inadvertently bumped the button on the steering wheel and reset the fuel consumption indicator shortly before filling up again, as it was after a traffic-filled commute. I wonder if the variance could be due to not being able to fill up to the exact same point each time. On TV shows where fuel consumption is measured, they typically employ a separate tank or bottle to supply fuel to ensure an accurate measurement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts