Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 RAV4L: Noticed today that the fuel door light in cluster does not come on when fuel door is open. When depressing the switch in the fuel door, can hear some type of relay clicking but no light. Anyone else have this problem?

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
My RAV is older than yours so I can't verify, but I've never heard of a fuel door warning light. The warning light in the instrument cluster that's usually located near the gas gauge is to tell you that you're low on fuel, not that the fuel door is open. Do newer RAVs really have a warning for the fuel door?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does he mean the arrow pointing to which side the fuel cap is located?? If this is the case, this does not light up.

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IIRC, its on the lower part of the speedometer and it says "fuel door opened" with a left arrow before the words or something to the effect that the fuel door is not closed. If it is for the low fuel warning, why doesn't it say "low fuel". And by the way, the noise that I thought was a relay was actually the door opener lever moving up and down when I depressed the door latch button, duh, my bad.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
The "fuel door" and arrow text are just to remind the driver which side to pull up to the gas pumps on.

Then, there's a separate low fuel light (usually just a small yellow light, located near the gas gauge).

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
So it's just a thing to tell you which side of the pump to go to? That's the only use of it? I have never used it :p, as i used to look at the rear view mirror and after 1 time, i remember where to pull up at the pump.

P.D: IIRC? huh?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly.
Yep, just says "< fuel door" so you remember what side to fill from, duh.

·
Registered
265 Posts
The only time I find the icon that indicates which side the Fuel Door is on is on, is when driving an unfamiler rental car.

Otherwise, if one cannot remember which side the filler is on ... on their own vehicle, one should not be driving.

My two cents

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Snyrav4 said:
Otherwise, if one cannot remember which side the filler is on ... on their own vehicle, one should not be driving.
My two cents
Good point! What a waste of time in putting that indicator there. If it were the kind that lit every time the fuel door is opened, i would be at least a useful feature :roll:

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I also noticed that with the RAV running and the fuel cap removed, you don't get a CEL. I noticed that in many cars, if the fuel cap were loose, you would get a CEL because the system is not air tight and the fuel vapors are being released into the atmosphere, a big no-no.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
noodlerooney said:
I also noticed that with the RAV running and the fuel cap removed, you don't get a CEL. I noticed that in many cars, if the fuel cap were loose, you would get a CEL because the system is not air tight and the fuel vapors are being released into the atmosphere, a big no-no.
That is surprising since OBDII requires that diagnostic check. Wifey's 99 RX300 set a code and the light once directly due to a loose fuel cap.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts