Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
S

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still toying between the 4 and 6 in the Rav4 Sport 2wd. I have the 4 on order. I am hoping current owners of the 06 models in both 4 and 6 can post their actual economy and % of highway and city driving. When I use the Rav I will be driving 80% highway on my 12 mile commute. My wife on the other hand will be driving 80% city. She will be using the Rav more than I. Is the 6 as efficient as the EPA says in real world conditions? Thanks for all your posts!

Eric
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,974 Posts
Eric, I dunno if you're gonna see any really great city numbers for the V6, it's too much of a hoot to get on it!!! It's gonna take a lot of will power to keep the right foot light for an entire tank of city driving, for me anyway!!!

Tim
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
420 Posts
I recoded a few actual numbers and I found that my RAV4 is more sensitive to the speed than my other cars. If I am careful to drive 70mph (about 115km/h) and mingle with trucks in right lanes, I get about 28mpg. Merging into 80-85mph traffic in left lanes pushes economy down to 24mpg.

I do not do a lot of city driving, so I do not have representative numbers. Every time I go to Frisco, numbers dip down to 21..22 mpg, but each such trip involves a lot of highway and idling in traffic jams, which balances it at an unrepresentative number.

This is an I-4 4x4 4sp auto with the skeleton of roof rack (pictured in my album).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
I4, last tank on city was just 19 with 87 octane gas.... none highway.... when combined with highway i got 21....
 
W

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
First fill-up (odo 300mi) of V6 2WD took 11.6 gal. Drove nice and easy break-in style 30Hi/ 70City and will call it 25 mpg. Very happy.
 
R

·
Guest
Joined
·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We have a 4 cyl....and, our last tank didn't get as high of a mileage as I would have liked. We got about 20 mpg with 99% city. I also have had the air conditioner blasting...so, I'm sure this plays part in the lower mpg.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
149 Posts
Regardless of what everyone else gets, you should expect to get slightly lower mpg with the V6 compared to the I4.

We are getting 21-22 with all city driving in our I4, but my wife (who is the daily driver) is a lead foot (either on the accelerator or on the gas, no coasting).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
RAVishing said:
We have a 4 cyl....and, our last tank didn't get as high of a mileage as I would have liked. We got about 20 mpg with 99% city. I also have had the air conditioner blasting...so, I'm sure this plays part in the lower mpg.
Interesting, we've a 4 in Dallas and we got between 22 and 24 lately with 80% city. I've to admit I did push the 4 a little too hard lately to find out its capability.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
I4 real world experience

I4 FWD basic.
At 2,200 miles: Worst tank 23.1 mpg. Best tank 25.9
Wide mix of driving.
This week a pure highway trip with the cruise set on 70 came up at a disappointing 25.1.
I am pleased with the city performance and if you're buying it as a local commute car I think you will be too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
120 Posts
Over 1200 miles on the V6 and got 25.5 on last fill-up.. :lol: Never got below 25 mpg on it but then again I don't romp on it either..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
17 Posts
only 300 miles on a V6 4x4 limited, 80% highway / 20% city.

first tank fill up scored 25 mpg. And I've had quite a few hard romps with the rocket v6 under the hood.

damn 80 mph comes quick while cruizing at 60 (like 1.8 -2 seconds)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,670 Posts
RockyHeap said:
only 300 miles on a V6 4x4 limited, 80% highway / 20% city.

first tank fill up scored 25 mpg. And I've had quite a few hard romps with the rocket v6 under the hood.

damn 80 mph comes quick while cruizing at 60 (like 1.8 -2 seconds)
I bet the V6 makes it real hard to break in your engine properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
Finally, I got 25mpg (all city driving). Have been very attentive to the way I drove lately. Speed up gradually and coasting to a complete stop. Speed up a little before attempting to get up the hill and let it coasting when down hill helped a lot. For highway mileage, I got pretty close to 30 a month ago.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
271 Posts
More than 2,000 miles already, Frank. I really hope it has broken in properly. When it hits 3,000, I'll take it for a first oil change.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
The G Man said:
RockyHeap said:
only 300 miles on a V6 4x4 limited, 80% highway / 20% city.

first tank fill up scored 25 mpg. And I've had quite a few hard romps with the rocket v6 under the hood.

damn 80 mph comes quick while cruizing at 60 (like 1.8 -2 seconds)
I bet the V6 makes it real hard to break in your engine properly.
i got 19/20 on first fill up. its hard to not get on the gas. a little bit of pressure and the thing flys.
 
1 - 20 of 73 Posts
Top