Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the fuel economy improve with the car's age and as the car is broken in?

THANKS!
Andrew

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not on mine after 3 years and 45000 miles. My Rav has definitely loosened up and is quicker now, but no better MPG.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For some reason Im only getting 17 to 18 mpg CITY . My driving styles been about the same. I've just changed: oil and oil filter. along with spark plugs, and air filter. Added coolant since it was really down to below LOW.

I have a feeling the problem is coming from the FRAM air filters (the cheap ones!)

would increasing the air flow via intake or a k&n filter help this problem??

or is it just the gas im putting in ? so far I asked about most of my friends and they seem to be getting less mpg as well.

·
Registered
986 Posts
My Rav's gas mileage is lower this summer than it was last summer or the summer before. I get about 22 around town and maybe 24-25 on the highway at best. I think it has to do with the reprogramming of the ECU that was done last summer when I had the cat replaced per the emissions TSB. I used to get 24 around town and 27-28 on the highway during the summer. Oh well, at least it is better than the 20 mpg I get during the winter.

Everything has been serviced regularly by me, including all filters, fluids, and other tune-up items. I guess I am kind of a lead foot, but even when I baby the gas pedal for an entire tank the MPG only goes up by 1 or 2.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fuel Economy Improve with Age

The fuel economy in my '02 Rav, 4sp, FWD was disappointing for the first 15,000 miles. Then it gradually improved to the point where I now get the EPA numbers regularly. I attribute this to the engine breaking in. The improvement in MPG was from about 25 - 26 MPG highway to about 28-29 MPG.

I would like to point out that the mudflaps which come with the car on all four tires, are in the windstream and at high speeds, ie 65mph plus, are a cause of considerable drag. After I removed them, along with the crossbar on the roofrack, the mileage went up 2 more MPG's....possibly more when you are in a headwind. I now get 31-32 MPG at 70 mph unless I am driving in a headwind. In winter the numbers drop a couple of points due to denser air and increased friction from cold weather.

But I think the answer to your question is Yes, the tolerances on these engines are very close and the moving parts are very tight when new. Thus, the gas mileage is lower than expected for the first year or so. That is my experience, and I have been fairly vigilant in monitoring fuel mileage. I would recomment removing the mudflaps if you do not really need them. That will give you a couple more mpgs.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Wow interesting...

forteatwo,

That's the most comprehensive answer I've ever seen.

THANKS!

Never would've guessed about the mud flaps...

·
Registered
986 Posts
How do you remove the roof rail cross pieces? Do you just pop off the endcaps on the side rails and slide them out?

·
Registered
55 Posts
Fuel Economy Improve with Age

Yes, they snap off. It is hard to describe exactly how to do it but do not use a screwdriver or similiar metal device, it will permanently distort the plastic. I used a bicycle tire changing lever which is plastic and just followed the seam, prying lightly until it suddenly popped off.

·
Registered
986 Posts
Well I removed the rails from the roof rack yesterday before my trip from NH to NY. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my gas mileage went up 2 mpg. I have made the same trip many times, and I usually get between 23-25 mpg depending on the traffic and how fast I am going. This time I was moving at a pretty good clip; half the trip was at about 80 mph and the rest was at about 70 mph. I drive about 2,000+ miles per month, and for the past year or so I haven't really been able to break 26 mpg even when I go easy on the pedal. Maybe it was the removal of the cross rails, or maybe it was because I was drafting my dad's Yukon most of the way...but I like the improvement in gas mileage, considering it cost me $40 to fill up my Rav today...

·
Registered
471 Posts
Jeff said:
Well I removed the rails from the roof rack yesterday before my trip from NH to NY. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but my gas mileage went up 2 mpg. I have made the same trip many times, and I usually get between 23-25 mpg depending on the traffic and how fast I am going. This time I was moving at a pretty good clip; half the trip was at about 80 mph and the rest was at about 70 mph. I drive about 2,000+ miles per month, and for the past year or so I haven't really been able to break 26 mpg even when I go easy on the pedal. Maybe it was the removal of the cross rails, or maybe it was because I was drafting my dad's Yukon most of the way...but I like the improvement in gas mileage, considering it cost me $40 to fill up my RAV today...
wow thats really cool but i think it was all thnx to Yukon which was lowering air resistance 4 u :wink:

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yeah I think so too, because on my return trip this morning, the gas mileage was back to normal... Oh well it was nice to see more than 25 mpg on the highway for a short while....

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I am a new owner and my 05 FWD manual with about 2k miles got 30.6 mpg on a long trip last week of all highway driving. I was pleased and look forward to some slightly better highway mileage once the engine is completely broke in.

I wonder if I should remove those rails on the roof also. I did remove the rear seats on that last trip.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Rails

I removed my cross rails because it made it easier to wash and wax the roof. It probably helps highway mileage too, as it's just another drag item on the roof. It's easy to do. Just loosen the torx screws (don't remove), pry the "C" clamp open, and twist it to slide them off.

I also removed my rear seats. That's 80 pounds of dead weight if you don't ever use them, plus you get 68 cubic feet of storage space. That's more space than some larger SUV's.

·
Registered
97 Posts
RAV4Don said:
I am a new owner and my 05 FWD manual with about 2k miles got 30.6 mpg on a long trip last week of all highway driving. I was pleased and look forward to some slightly better highway mileage once the engine is completely broke in.

I wonder if I should remove those rails on the roof also. I did remove the rear seats on that last trip.
God I wish, I get 20-22mpg city and 23-25mpg highway... believe it or not it seems the higher I go over 65/70 the better the milage which is wierd. 65/70 on the highway gets me city milage. 80 plus gets me the better milage. Also I notice use of A/C system seems to have no diffrence which is weird.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
VeroLAN said:
RAV4Don said:

God I wish, I get 20-22mpg city and 23-25mpg highway... believe it or not it seems the higher I go over 65/70 the better the milage which is wierd. 65/70 on the highway gets me city milage. 80 plus gets me the better milage. Also I notice use of A/C system seems to have no diffrence which is weird.
Your speed comment is interesting since I tested my mileage mostly when I was traveling 70-80 mph w/AC on and w/outside temps in the 90s. One would think that wind resistance at higher speeds would reduce MPG.

I've never tested city driving MPG.

I wonder what effect the factory spoiler (that I have) has on MPG?

·
Registered
191 Posts
15,000 or more break-in miles

Yes, I have to agree with forteatwo.
I have a AWD Automatic which has an EPA rating of 22/27

The first 5,000 mile's my mpg's were down right disappointing.
I swear my RAV sucked up gas like it was a 4Runner. Getting 19 in the City and 21 mpg's on the Freeway. I was convinced something was wrong and questioned several Toyota technician of my concern. They all were fairly consistent with telling me to be patient and that my mpg's would continue to increase in upwards of 15,000 miles on the odometer.

So far they have been right. Between 5,000 to 10,000 miles my Freeway mpg's were in the 22-23.5 range. I currently have 13,200 miles and my mpg's are a solid 25-26.5 on the Freeway. Traveling at speeds between 70-75 mph and sometimes with the Air-conditioner on.

I looking forward to squeezing out .5 - 1 mpg or more as I drive up the miles and with the following small modifications.

I have also taken off my roof rack crossbars, installed a K&N replacement air filter and increased my PSI's to 30 on all 4 tires. I also noticed Toyota started putting Full Synthetic oil in my RAV without me asking or without extra charge.

I am pleased with Toyota's service and advice. I hope they continue to be right and my mpg's increase with break-in.

Thank you Kelley for letting all of us share our experiences on this site. I hope this helps Andrew and other fellow RAVer's.

Ravon~* 8)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
First tank

Hi all,

In my first tank I got about 9.6 l/100 km or 24.50 mpg for city driving. Standard 4wd.

I'll let you know how it goes on my next tank. Actually I plan on charting the milage on this car for a while so we can see the progress over time.

Thanks all for the replies.

Andrew

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
My 2004 RAV's gas mileage has steadily improved and now that it's up to 9400 miles, I recently got 32.85 miles per gallon on all highway driving using Shell 87, rear seats removed to save weight and space, 55 miles per hour on cruise control, 35 lbs. in all tires and without the air conditioning on. To me gas mileage is about the best attribute of the RAV4. The mileage for an AWD vehicle is very good.

I'm wondering how the 2006 will do now that it's bigger. Something tells me the mileage may drop to around the 2.4 liter Highlander numbers. It's cool that the RAV is bigger now, but with gas prices the way they are it'll be an negative if the mileage suffers a lot.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi, I don't want to re-open the whole tire pressure thread, but since the tires are supposed to be at 29 lbs, isn't 35 a little high? I run my other car at that, but since the Rav's supposed to be only 29, I just put 30 or 31 in. Are your tires wearing evenly?
Jim.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts