Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I just purchased a 1997 4-door 4WD RAV4 and I just love it. My wife any I were on a road trip, with no other passengers or cargo. My highway MPG averaged 21 MPG. I had to fillup every 5-7 hours of driving.... Yikes!

Just before the trip, I replaced both O2 sensors with Factory sensors and changed the engine oil to Synthetic (mobil 1). The air filter was clean and there is no other check engine light.

I know this has been asked several times, but... What should I expect from a 1997 4-door 4WD for MPG?

Please let me know what your thoughts are on this, I need help or I will have to sell the car due to poor fuel economy!

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a '98 4 door and a 2000 4 door, and drove a '97 4 door for several months before I got my '98.
All of them get about the same mileage. Overall with the stop and go driving I do, 24 mpg. The wife with the '98 commuting 40 miles a day to work and back is getting about 26-27 depending on the weather. All 3 are the AWD.
I have heard of some getting better mileage than that.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
As another recent second-hand RAV buyer I'll agree that the RAV does seem to go through more gas than you'd expect. I bought my 2000 4WD in November and I've been seeing 18-20 mpg.

However, winter driving always knocks a few points off the numbers you'd see in warmer weather (my Subaru drops 5-6 mpg in winter vs the same kind of driving in summer) so I'm waiting until spring before passing final judgement on my RAV's fuel economy.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
All of you have to remember this.

During winter, your RAV4 will burn a bit more gas due to the air temperature sensor will tell the ECU of the higher density of air.

During summer, it's bery economical. However, 4WD vehicles are known for their thirst in fuel, but the RAV4's 1998cc engine still beats a lot of SUV's ass in fuel economy.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We drove our RAV out to WI last summer and did pretty well MPG wise. I actually got 29.89 on one tankful somewhere between Ohio and Indiana, but I had to be *very* careful not to exceed 70mph.

On a camping trip we didn't do much better than 22 as we had the roof rack up top, bikes on the back and the cabin was full or gear and people...

Right, winter will have an effect too, but I think the best case you'll ever see is 30...sounds like you've done everything right...how is your tire pressure?

Bogatyr

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Here in North America another factor that negatively affects fuel economy is more-volatile winter-formulated fuels. Where I live it's "winter gas" from late October to April.

Fortunately the RAV has plenty of positives that make up for its middling fuel economy compared to more modern 4-cylinder AWD vehicles.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for your replies and answers

Hello all,

THanks for the replies, it puts me at ease that perhaps the winter gas along with the temp sensor may be causing a big dip in MPG.

It is not the only thing I consider, it is jsut that a 4-cyl I thought would be more efficient, but maybe not.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
881 Posts
kidong said:
All of you have to remember this.

During winter, your RAV4 will burn a bit more gas due to the air temperature sensor will tell the ECU of the higher density of air.

During summer, it's bery economical. However, 4WD vehicles are known for their thirst in fuel, but the RAV4's 1998cc engine still beats a lot of SUV's ass in fuel economy.
Friend of mine has an 1308cc RX-8 and that only gets 12MPG, so be happy :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Kyle, I didn't notice before that you were from Wisconsin. I'm your neighbor one county to the south. :)

I used to have a 4.1 AWD 2-door, now have a 4.2. I can definitely confirm that the gas mileage in the 4.1 dropped DRAMATICALLY in the Wisconsin winters. I would lose sometimes as much as 60 miles per tank of gas (I forget what the MPG worked out to) if the weather was really cold. But the mileage was quite decent the rest of the year.

The mileage in my 4.2 also dropped this winter, but to a lesser extent.

That said, I can guarantee that the Rav is still a fantastic vehicle to have for a Wisconsin winter!

Becky

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have RAV4 1996. When I go on a long trip (say 10K miles over a few weeks at 70+mph), the MPG starts at 23MPG, and then slowly increases, so that after the first two days of driving, the MPG is up to about 27MPG. The double gas tank is a little inconsistent on fill-up - so make sure to average over a few tankfulls the MPG.

·
Registered
986 Posts
I have to deal with the cold weather and winter gas also; as a result my gas mileage drops from 26 during the summer to 22 during the winter. However those are just averages, I get anything from 18-24 during the winter, but I also have snow tires which reduce the mileage, and my Rav spends slightly more time sitting and idling during the cold weather. It's really difficult to get an accurate estimate of the Rav's mileage, because it is affected by many things and as a result varies quite a bit.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I have just owned a 1997 RAV4 4X4 for one week and made a highway fuel consumption test this weekend. With 4 passengers including the driver and 100 pounds of luggages, at speed between 60 - 80 miles/h (100 - 130 km/h) under temperature of 18 F or -10 C, fuel comsuption is about 20 mpg or 12 L/100km.

I also checked 50/50 highway/city result under higher environment temperature (below 0 C) last week. With the driver only, fuel consumption was 21 mpg.

Comparing with my 1986 Honda Prelude with 34 mpg in summer and 25 mpg in winter highway driving, I expect my 1997 RAV4 AWD can probally reach 28 mpg in southwest Ontario area highway driving (between Detroit and Toronto) in summer.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Note to 4VAR:

Honda Prelude is a Front Wheel Drive(FWD), thus, less gear and less resistance. This means more mpg. 1986 Prelude has a 1.8L engine and the vehicle is slightly more than 1100kg. Also it has less air drag. Overall, it will contribute to higher mpg.

Can't compare a sedan/coupe to a RAV4.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is no doubt about RAV4 has lower gas mileage than Prelude. My point is to show how winter affects gas mileage dramtically. If the Prelude has a big gap of mileage during winter and summer, RAV4 is expected to behavior similarly.

Conside following facts:
1986 Prelude: 2.0 liter fuel injection, 105 HP, manual tranny, curb weight of 2355 lb. 185x70xR13 tires, Highway mileage is 25 mpg in winter and 34 mpg in summer.
1997 RAV4 AWD manual transmission, 2.0 liter engine, 120 HP, curb weight of 2855 lb. 225x70xR16 tires, Highway mileage is estimated 22 mpg in winter.
Therefore, it is reasonable to guess RAV4 can get 28 mpg in summer.

Winter in Wisconsin is similar to Ontario, kkontney's RAV4 has basically the same gas mileage as mine. He could expect much better fuel economy when summer comes. Both of our RAV4 are consistent with theoretical data of 26 mpg shown in autos.msn.com.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
82-86 Honda Prelude has a 1750cc engine displacement and max power as [email protected]

87 Honda prelude has a 1958cc engine displacement and a max power as [email protected]

88 Honda prelude has the first B20A engine which has power band ranging from 110-140ps.

·
Registered
69 Posts
There are often some derivation trims in north America, which are not listed in the most after market service manuals. My 1986 Honda Prelude is a limited edition that takes Accord engine. Althoug most of Prelude in that period are 1.8 L and dual side draft of carbureter fuel system with limited electronic engine control, many Prelude like mine, are 2L fuel injection model. I did not realize north American auto market is so diverse, before I came here from Australia.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
North American Markets are somewhat different to the Australasia market, in both terms of technical and performance aspects. Therefore, variation is common in these markets.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I drove short trips only in a city during last three weeks without extra passenger. Environment temperature was between -15C and 0C (-5F and 32F). Windchill temperature should be lower.

Gas warning light turned on at about 370km. Mileage was only 17.8 mpg (13 L/100km).

·
Registered
986 Posts
Yesterday I drove over 300 miles on the New York State Thruway from Westchester to Rochester and had to fill up the tank twice. Got about 21 MPG going 70-80 mph the whole way which shocked me a little bit, however it's winter, I have snow tires on, and there were heavy crosswinds the whole way up the highway.

It's funny because last weekend I got 26 MPG on a tank of gas driving half on state roads in New Hampshire and half on the interstates in Massachusetts.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
fuel usage

Last week i drove my '95 rav with mtm to france
A ride of 1400 Kilometers and i did average
1 liter 8,5 kilometers with speeds of 120 / 130 kilometers

One section of the tollway i kept it at 140 / 150
wich gave me an average of 1 liter 7,5 kilometers

the Car is using more fuel then the X5 of a friend of mine
wich had ATM very big rims airco and doing a 2000 kilo's