Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

281 - 300 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
So it looks like it was only Ravs made in Japan have the issues which if I remember correctly was stated a year back when I first started to look at this forum about this problem. My VIN starts with 2T so I don't have the issue by the TSB and that is what the dealer told me. Has anyone with a VIN starting with 2T had the TSB performed?
I have a Canadian built 2020 XSE and I received the fuel tank letter.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello Everyone,

This forum is so helpful and is also how I learned that Toyota had a fix for this issue. I’m hoping to return the favor. I didn’t receive the second letter from Toyota, only the first. The service advisor told me that I received 3 new parts including a new fuel tank, gauge, and gasket. I’m not driving as much these days due to COVID restrictions but I hope that this helps someone.
View attachment 159287 View attachment 159288 I read l a post from someone who obtained a fix and immediately called my dealership to let them have it. They told me to bring my car in right away and they kept it for one week. I was able to take pictures of the TSB so I’ll try to attach the 9 pages to this post. View attachment 159289 View attachment 159290 View attachment 159291 View attachment 159292 View attachment 159293 View attachment 159294 View attachment 159295
I don’t see my VIN here. Does that mean they are going to say my car doesn’t have the problem? I have a JTMEWRFV VIN #.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I made an appointment with my dealer about this fix, and they said they will need to run an inspection first. But they didn't tell me to fill up or leave it empty for the appointment though, so I am wondering how they are going to inspect for the filling issue?

·
Registered
57 Posts
I’ve got to find a dealership who will give me a loaner vehicle while ours is being fixed. Took ours to the service dept this morning as I had an appointment for the first oil change and the lady I had made the appointment with forgot to put down the fuel tank issue. I was told I’d have to leave it for several days or bring it back Monday. When I asked about a loaner I was told they don’t do loaners but I could rent a vehicle while mine is under warranty work.
The bit about loaners is crap and they tried to pull it on me when I had to make 5 trips to get the DCM replaced. If you look at the warranty booklet it says on page 9 "Under this policy you are eligible for transportation assistance if your Toyota must be kept overnight for warranty covered repairs...." and it goes on to list additional reasons. Show them that at the dealer and call corporate and raise a stink. I t worked for me but took some serious griping.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Got mine replaced last week, back to 540 miles .
Nice to know about overnight warranty repair loaner, thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 LE (Hybrid) AWD
32 Posts
I have a Canadian built 2020 XSE and I received the fuel tank letter.
Rav4 is either made in Japan or Canada, 2020 Hybrid production recently kicked off in Kentucky for 2020 Production and will also likely continue on in Japan.

Easiest way to tell....🧐

I don’t see my VIN here. Does that mean they are going to say my car doesn’t have the problem? I have a JTMEWRFV VIN #.

Is when your VIN tag starts with a "J" like this individuals... The argument was that the Japanese production builds were built with a better sense of pride in the workmanship. At least on the shop floors of the dealer network that's the hearsay anyhow.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I made an appointment with my dealer about this fix, and they said they will need to run an inspection first. But they didn't tell me to fill up or leave it empty for the appointment though, so I am wondering how they are going to inspect for the filling issue?
I had the same experience, even after I asked them repeatedly about needing to fill it up first. Just before my appointment I called them back and showed them where in the CSB it says it is the customer's responsibility to fill up the tank and they said thanks - they will make sure all of the service writers know that.

I filled up my tank on the way in and they reproduced the problem in my car and said they expect the parts in about a week.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Got mine done yesterday, tank and fuel sender replaced. Dealer accepted my previous reports and didn't do additional testing.

So, I filled up starting with the gauge showing 3/4 full. Took almost 5 gallons to the first automatic shutoff. The needle on the gauge is well above the F and DTE is 530, much higher than I was getting. so, all good so far. I'm looking forward to seeing how many miles I drive to get the low fuel light to come on and how many gallons the tank takes at that point.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had the same experience, even after I asked them repeatedly about needing to fill it up first. Just before my appointment I called them back and showed them where in the CSB it says it is the customer's responsibility to fill up the tank and they said thanks - they will make sure all of the service writers know that.

I filled up my tank on the way in and they reproduced the problem in my car and said they expect the parts in about a week.
So, you did a fill up before taking it in? how full was it then, and what did they do to reproduce the problem? By topping off more fuel in your car?? Thanks for the reply (y)

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 Hybrid Limited AWD
53 Posts
No fix for Canadian owners even if Toyota Canada was aware of this issue.
Toyota Canada is aware of the problem, as are many dealerships. My dealership said that letters will likely go out to Canadian owners later this year or early next year. Personally, I haven't noticed an issue - my gauge always reads beyond "F" after filling and I've been averaging 830-860 km's (~515-534 miles) per tank (from "F" to low fuel warning).

·
Registered
536 Posts
Just got mine BACK

WOO HOO...
18 lllllloooooonnnnngggggg Moonnnnntttthhhhhssssss.

New Fuel tank / sending unit...
Got the Mirror Vibration TSB done ( installed a stiffing bracket with epoxy behind the mirrors )
15,000 mile Service
And it came with a full Tank of GAS!!!

I brought it in on fumes...
I drove it 150 miles on REFIL NOW, and he said there was 2 gallons left in the tank....

Happy DAY!!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Just got mine BACK

WOO HOO...
18 lllllloooooonnnnngggggg Moonnnnntttthhhhhssssss.

New Fuel tank / sending unit...
Got the Mirror Vibration TSB done ( installed a stiffing bracket with epoxy behind the mirrors )
15,000 mile Service
And it came with a full Tank of GAS!!!

I brought it in on fumes...
I drove it 150 miles on REFIL NOW, and he said there was 2 gallons left in the tank....

Happy DAY!!!
There were still 2 gallons!?! That's incredible. I'm guessing some of that was fuel that's unreachable by the fuel pump, but still...

·
Registered
536 Posts
There were still 2 gallons!?! That's incredible. I'm guessing some of that was fuel that's unreachable by the fuel pump, but still...
I know right..

Service Manager asked to be brought in empty...
That's pretty empty....
( I had a Gallon of emergency gas in a small can, just in case.... )

I hope now to have a "NORMAL" car... without a 5 -6 gallon Reserve tank and a 500 mile range....

·
Registered
9 Posts
So, you did a fill up before taking it in? how full was it then, and what did they do to reproduce the problem? By topping off more fuel in your car?? Thanks for the reply (y)
I filled it up to the first click at a gas station almost next door to the dealership. I think the gauge read around 7/8 full. They didn't say what they did, but there is a document somewhere in this thread that, I think, says they go out to a gas station and fill it up again (Toyota will pay them for a gallon of fuel for this), then come back and do some tests.

·
Registered
406 Posts
I had my 2019 Rav in to the dealer about two weeks ago for tire rotation and asked them about the tank fix and was told my Rav was not the right VIN. They said they would call Toyota but they never called me back. I received an email survey about my service two days ago and mentioned that the service advisor never called me back after two weeks about the tank. Today I receive a call/ voicemail from the Service Manger who apologized and told me to call him directly on Monday because my car is covered and they need to order parts. Not sure what this all means until Monday but someone must really look at those service surveys. I guess I also need to talk to them about the side mirror shaking issue also. I was told that was not for my VIN either.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The replacement process at some dealers is pretty smooth.

I had never complained about the issue with the dealer or corporate, but I did receive both letters.

I called and made an appointment for later in the week. They said they've done about 30 replacements so far. No one has failed the diagnostic test.

Dropped the car off at 8a with less than a quarter tank. Picked it up at noon. All three components replaced with a tank past full.

Honestly, I was expecting a much longer lead time and more hassle. Obviously, YMMV.

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XSE Blizzard Pearl
102 Posts
I finally got my car back today after leaving it with Toyota for over a WEEK. I have no idea what took them so long for them to fix it and Im feeling something odd happened. I took a picture of my odometer meter before I gave them my car and when I got my car back it had 50+ miles more then when I left it with them. Before I left the dealer I asked one of the service guys why was my car driven that much miles and he told me that the tech had to test the tank before the fix and after the fix. After coming home and looking through my dash cam video files I noticed that the camera got unpluged the day I left my car with them and was plugged back in today when I went to pick up the car. I can see in the video that the guy actually plugs it back in because the camera shook a bit while the car was still. Are they allow to disconnect my camera like that? I feel like they wouldnt need to drive 50 miles to check if the gas tank works.

Anyone documented the miles before and after you gave them your car?
Are they allow to disconnect my dash cam?

Maybe im over thinking it but I just had a gut feeling something was up when my car took more then 2 days.

BTW, I dropped off my car to them on the 11th and just got it back today on the 20th. Which makes 9 days my baby been out of my sight. Happy to have her back but kinda disappointed with the whole Toyota service thing. I hope they didn’t abuse my car and take it for joy ride.

281 - 300 of 352 Posts