Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

301 - 320 of 352 Posts

·
Registered
940 Posts
I finally got my car back today after leaving it with Toyota for over a WEEK. I have no idea what took them so long for them to fix it and Im feeling something odd happened. I took a picture of my odometer meter before I gave them my car and when I got my car back it had 50+ miles more then when I left it with them. Before I left the dealer I asked one of the service guys why was my car driven that much miles and he told me that the tech had to test the tank before the fix and after the fix. After coming home and looking through my dash cam video files I noticed that the camera got unpluged the day I left my car with them and was plugged back in today when I went to pick up the car. I can see in the video that the guy actually plugs it back in because the camera shook a bit while the car was still. Are they allow to disconnect my camera like that? I feel like they wouldnt need to drive 50 miles to check if the gas tank works.

Anyone documented the miles before and after you gave them your car?
Are they allow to disconnect my dash cam?

Maybe im over thinking it but I just had a gut feeling something was up when my car took more then 2 days.

BTW, I dropped off my car to them on the 11th and just got it back today on the 20th. Which makes 9 days my baby been out of my sight. Happy to have her back but kinda disappointed with the whole Toyota service thing. I hope they didn’t abuse my car and take it for joy ride.
I suppose you don't have the function in the Toyota app that tracks every trip and includes a map and statistics for each trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The 50 miles+, a week at the shop, and an unplugged cam all sound pretty odd to me. Maybe if this was their first job and they needed to order the parts, the week might be reasonable, but they should call you and tell you.

On my car the odometer only changed by a mile -- they simply moved it inside the shop -- and my dashcam confirms this.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I finally got my car back today after leaving it with Toyota for over a WEEK. I have no idea what took them so long for them to fix it and Im feeling something odd happened. I took a picture of my odometer meter before I gave them my car and when I got my car back it had 50+ miles more then when I left it with them. Before I left the dealer I asked one of the service guys why was my car driven that much miles and he told me that the tech had to test the tank before the fix and after the fix. After coming home and looking through my dash cam video files I noticed that the camera got unpluged the day I left my car with them and was plugged back in today when I went to pick up the car. I can see in the video that the guy actually plugs it back in because the camera shook a bit while the car was still. Are they allow to disconnect my camera like that? I feel like they wouldnt need to drive 50 miles to check if the gas tank works.

Anyone documented the miles before and after you gave them your car?
Are they allow to disconnect my dash cam?

Maybe im over thinking it but I just had a gut feeling something was up when my car took more then 2 days.

BTW, I dropped off my car to them on the 11th and just got it back today on the 20th. Which makes 9 days my baby been out of my sight. Happy to have her back but kinda disappointed with the whole Toyota service thing. I hope they didn’t abuse my car and take it for joy ride.
Get yourself a DASHCAM for Christmas..
They are $40-$60 bucks..

I downloaded my video after my Fuel Tank, I watched the Technicians drive it to the Mobile station. He said fill it up.....
one Click, Stopped..
Way past full now..

You can install the DashCam in 10 minutes ( IF you just use the 12V plug in )

·
Registered
22 Posts
Get yourself a DASHCAM for Christmas..
They are $40-$60 bucks..

I downloaded my video after my Fuel Tank, I watched the Technicians drive it to the Mobile station. He said fill it up.....
one Click, Stopped..
Way past full now..

You can install the DashCam in 10 minutes ( IF you just use the 12V plug in )
How is this different than the dash cam he said he had that they unplugged?

·
Registered
2019 Rav4 XSE Blizzard Pearl
102 Posts
I don’t have the Toyota app where it tracks the cars locations and routes. Really wish I do right now.

My dash cam was hard wired too, the tech unplugged the dash cam by its base. So nothing was recorded between the day I dropped off the car till the day I picked it up. He/she avoided the front and the back when approaching the car too, so never seen who moved it.
What can I do? A complaint won’t resolve my issue. A call to Toyota won’t help.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Just verified appointment to have the new tank and sender installed Dec 1st. ... under the Customer Support Program #20TE04.
The dealer wants me to use up most of the existing fuel first.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Last week I went in for an inspection and my vehicle has the fueling problem. They said the parts will arrive at the dealership within a day. So far it's been a week and no new news from the dealership. I contacted the dealership and left voicemails but they haven't gotten back to me. Anyone knows if there is a delay delivery for the parts?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Last week I went in for an inspection and my vehicle has the fueling problem. They said the parts will arrive at the dealership within a day. So far it's been a week and no new news from the dealership. I contacted the dealership and left voicemails but they haven't gotten back to me. Anyone knows if there is a delay delivery for the parts?
I called two high volume dealers. Both had to order the parts, but didn't expect it to take more than a few days to arrive. The limiting factor seemed to be the availability of the 'advanced warranty repair team', which at one didn't have availability for a month. The other had a same week opening.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I called two high volume dealers. Both had to order the parts, but didn't expect it to take more than a few days to arrive. The limiting factor seemed to be the availability of the 'advanced warranty repair team', which at one didn't have availability for a month. The other had a same week opening.
Called my dealership again today and apparently the parts had arrived at the dealership for couple days ago. So I made an appointment to drop off the vehicle with a different advisor since the one who was supposed to contact me about the parts never picked up or return my voicemails. Hope they will finish before Thanksgivings.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just got mine BACK

WOO HOO...
18 lllllloooooonnnnngggggg Moonnnnntttthhhhhssssss.

New Fuel tank / sending unit...
Got the Mirror Vibration TSB done ( installed a stiffing bracket with epoxy behind the mirrors )
15,000 mile Service
And it came with a full Tank of GAS!!!

I brought it in on fumes...
I drove it 150 miles on REFIL NOW, and he said there was 2 gallons left in the tank....

Happy DAY!!!
Does anyone know what the Mirror Vibration TSB number or reference is? I'm getting the fuel fix now and the dealer practically laughed at me and said a mirror TSB doesn't exist.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just bought a new Rav4 Hybrid a couple days ago. I asked about the fuel tank problem and was told by the salesman that the "recall" had fixed the problem and the new models did not have it. Time will tell as I have not had to fill up yet.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I set my appointment up on Wednesday(11/18) last week for today(11/23) with my local dealer. They ordered the parts for me and had all the parts ready to install. Got there this morning to find out they were missing 'Gas Caddy' (A measurable canister for the 9.8 gal drain step on page 4/9 of T-SB-0109-20 that was posted earlier here). Was told it would be 30 day wait while Toyota sends them one. Offered to buy one and they rejected that (worth a shot).

Called customer service and got a case number, they are going to reach out and let me know if another dealer in the area has the gas caddy to perform this fix. If so, dealer with my parts will be responsible for shipping my parts to dealer with gas caddy and we will be on the way.

My point, making sure they order all the parts is only half the battle. You gotta ask to see if they have the gas caddy too.
By the way, I was able to give the service advisor just the VIN and they were able to order the parts as the customer service campaign came right up after VIN entry.

Hope this helps someone out

·
Registered
406 Posts
Call the Service Manager today and he apologized about me being told the car was not covered by the tank fix. He said originally he also thought it wasn't covered just like his service adviser but called Toyota and found it was covered. He is ordering the parts and will call. I asked if testing is needed and he said no based on what Toyota said it needs all the parts and no testing needed. They also offered a loaner car and I asked how long will it take. He said it is the first hybrid tank they have done so based on all the fuel pumps they have done lately about three hours. So no requirements of filling the tank or running it empty.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This issue hasn't bothered me that much, but the other day the fuel gauge read half full, I filled it up it only took 3.3 gallons after two low-speed shut-offs on the pump, and the fuel gauge was below the full mark. I contacted my dealer and I'm going to set up getting the new fuel tank.

That said, the reason I'm posting is because I want to sneak this little tidbit in. When I gave the dealer my VIN number they mentioned that my vehicle is not part of the fuel pump recall. YAY! That would lend evidence to speculation on the threads on this website that the hybrids are exempt from the fuel pump issue.

·
Registered
406 Posts
This issue hasn't bothered me that much, but the other day the fuel gauge read half full, I filled it up it only took 3.3 gallons after two low-speed shut-offs on the pump, and the fuel gauge was below the full mark. I contacted my dealer and I'm going to set up getting the new fuel tank.

That said, the reason I'm posting is because I want to sneak this little tidbit in. When I gave the dealer my VIN number they mentioned that my vehicle is not part of the fuel pump recall. YAY! That would lend evidence to speculation on the threads on this website that the hybrids are exempt from the fuel pump issue.
The fuel pump is a safety recall because the car just stops, however on a hybrid the battery will run the car for a while. So it may not be considered a safety recall. Hard to believe the actual DC motor/pump is any different than the other millions of pumps they are replacing. I guess we shall see.

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
41 Posts
long post, but I hope it would be helpful for others.
I got fuel tank replacement TSB performed last wednesday on my J vin 2019 RAV4h XSE, right before my planned trip for ~450mi one way, so it was a good opportunity to test fix and capture some data.
I didn't capture exactly how much fuel did I have before I dropped off car at dealership, but gauge showed somewhere between 1/4 and 1/2 tank and I got it back at about 1/2 full after dealer replaced all 3 parts.
and I drove it home to prepare for a trip.

next morning I drove 60mi to one of the costco gas stations on the way out of city to refuel. here comes the first pic before refuel:

and after refuel:

well over full. new fuel tank took 8.9gal on first click at full blast and I got 0.4gal more on 2nd click to a total of 9.294gal.
I was impressed, so continued my observations.

at 82miles driven, I've noticed gauge started going down.
next checkpoint for me was 100 miles driven with gauge on F mark.
before I've reached 3/4 gauge readings were very pessimistic on DTE numbers and I was actually getting more miles driven than DTE was calculating.

at 3/4 mark I've driven 200mi:

this trend will continue, and I was getting about 100 miles of actual range with every 1/4 fuel burnt.

next milestone suppose to be half the tank, but for some reason when DTE to trip meter was same, gauge read above 1/2:

when I've reached 1/2 mark - trip meter was at 300 miles driven:

trend for "spend 1/4 of the tank, get 100 miles" continues:

arrived at my destination:

next morning, when I hit low fuel light:

I've reset tripB and kept going until I hit DTE 0:

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
41 Posts
so I didn't stop and went a little bit past zero until I've found good enough gas station:

1st clicked off at 12.6 gal and I've added 0.25gal until 2nd click, to a total of 12.854gal.

this tank went similar to previous one in terms of getting 100 miles per 1/4 tank burnt, but total driving range was lower, could be because gauge\sending unit\computer\you-name-it was still calibrating after replacement. or maybe because my MPG dropped by ~1.5, who knows. hit low fuel warning:

found gas station 1.4miles after low fuel warning light:

I've pumped 11.3gal until first click, but I was tired and numbers in my head would not match, so I kept going until 3rd click to a total of 12.333gal.

well, that's all on my side, hopefully someone would find it useful.

301 - 320 of 352 Posts