Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

321 - 340 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
so I didn't stop and went a little bit past zero until I've found good enough gas station:
View attachment 159503
View attachment 159504

1st clicked off at 12.6 gal and I've added 0.25gal until 2nd click, to a total of 12.854gal.
View attachment 159505

this tank went similar to previous one in terms of getting 100 miles per 1/4 tank burnt, but total driving range was lower, could be because gauge\sending unit\computer\you-name-it was still calibrating after replacement. or maybe because my MPG dropped by ~1.5, who knows. hit low fuel warning:
View attachment 159506

found gas station 1.4miles after low fuel warning light:
View attachment 159507

I've pumped 11.3gal until first click, but I was tired and numbers in my head would not match, so I kept going until 3rd click to a total of 12.333gal.
View attachment 159508

well, that's all on my side, hopefully someone would find it useful.
How about an Executive Summary?

·
Registered
241 Posts
My impressions of new tank after a few fill-ups...

Low fuel comes on with ~22 miles left (0.5 gallons)
Once DTE states "Refuel now" you'll have 2 more gallons (~80 miles depending on how you drive) left. Which is exactly what Toyota's original intentions were for their gas tank.

It has been much more consistent predicting how much fuel has been used in the gauge cluster. It also has been on par for how many gallons I'm expecting to pump in as well. It has not in any way given me more miles out of the tank, just a more consistent fill at the gas station that reflects the meter in the dash

·
Registered
12 Posts
My dealership replaced 3 parts in less than half a day of work. I dropped off the vehicle with less than half a tank of gas and picked it up with a full tank of gas. DTE was at 517 after picking it up. I need to drive it until the low fuel light comes on and see how many gallons it takes. Everything looks promising so far. Hope this is the fix.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,042 Posts

Once DTE states "Refuel now" you'll have 2 more gallons (~80 miles depending on how you drive) left. Which is exactly what Toyota's original intentions were for their gas tank.

It has been much more consistent predicting how much fuel has been used in the gauge cluster. It also has been on par for how many gallons I'm expecting to pump in as well. It has not in any way given me more miles out of the tank, just a more consistent fill at the gas station that reflects the meter in the dash
Just to clarify, when you refuel from low fuel light on, you are able to put in 12+ gallons on full flow to first click stop?

·
Registered
2019 RAV4 XSE
41 Posts
How about an Executive Summary?
YMMV, but in my case:
  • DTE is more accurate now, not drifting by 100 miles as it used to;
  • gauge is now aware of 2gal+ of unaccounted fuel compared to old tank. this could be connected to my previous point;
  • at 40+ MPG it's possible to get 500 miles of range if driving until DTE hits zero\refuel mark without fear of getting stalled on highway or in the middle of nowhere.
  • for the same 40+ MPG every 1/4 of a tank according to gauge will provide roughly 100 miles of range. same 100 mile range applies for going from over full to full mark.
to be on a safe side, I'd recommend not to go lower than 1/4 to extend fuel pump life and prevent overheating.
also, 400 miles of range is more than enough and driver should stop anyway to get food while combining this stop with refueling.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just to clarify, when you refuel from low fuel light on, you are able to put in 12+ gallons on full flow to first click stop?
See pics below:
Drove 14.8 miles past DTE saying REFILL NOW (433 miles in total)
First click 12.33 gal
Top off at 13.09

My 33 average mpg x 14.5 gal = 478.5 max miles

Seems pretty accurate

Sent from my IN2015 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
874 Posts

Toyota's intention (as stated in the owner's manual) was for there to be 2.2 gallons when the low fuel light comes on, not when the DTE says "Refuel now." Might be splitting hairs, but there you go.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Now I know mine has this issue. Today on the way home the fuel light came on when the DTE said 28 miles. Gauge was at 1/8th of a tank. I refuel at 13 miles on DTE and it first clicks at 10.2 gallons. I topped it at 10.6 gallons. This matches with what I expect for the MPG for the Trip meter. The line on the gauge was just touching the F too. DTE showed at 455 when I left the gas station. Why would the reserve come on at over 4 gallons left??

·
Registered
144 Posts
My outgoing CRV had a 58 liter tank and when the light came on it would take about 40 l to fill. My Tacoma has a 80 l tank and will take 65 l when light came on and current Rav 4 hybrid takes 40 l on light. Would never have known there was a problem until I read it here. Based on what I have observed so far, I expect owners will have to expend a considerable amount of effort to get Toyota to replace whatever is required to resolve the tank issues as it doesn't appear to be a safety or reliability issue.
Personally, I'm happy with light @ 40 liters. That leaves approx. 10 l of reserve fuel and approx. 5 l of fuel to slosh around to keep pump from loosing suction or overheating as you will never pump a tank dry. Of course the only way to prove these capacities is to run the engine until it cuts out. I wonder has anyone actually run out of fuel with the Rav.

·
Registered
2020 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid Limited
134 Posts
Is there a build date or build location that indicates the problem was resolved on the assembly line?

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 XLE
2 Posts
Is there a build date or build location that indicates the problem was resolved on the assembly line?
I would be interested in knowing that also. I just purchased a 2020 RAV4 XLE in October 2020 with a build date of 9/2020. Built in Kentucky.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Good info! To sum it up they ran the the engine to loss of pump suction, added one gallon of fuel, drove to gas station and added 14.6 gallons. Previous to this it would normally take 10 gallons when low fuel light came on so it appears there is approx. 5 gallons of usable fuel left when low fuel light activates. They also had a lot of trouble priming the fuel system and could have left them stranded if they didn't have the OB scanner so if you start running out of fuel it may be a good idea to pull over and shut engine down to prevent total loss of fuel pressure. In doing so engine should start much easier once fuel is replenished. I expect this would apply to any vehicle with push button start sequence.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I got it done yesterday too. My fuel tank is currently full with DTE of 464. I filled it to first click before I took it in, and it was a tad below "F" with DTE of 356. Will report back after my next fill-up. Hope it works like everyone else. (y)

Q: what parts do they need to remove for this fix, like rear seat, trunk floor, etc? i would like to do an inspection on the areas to make sure everything is buttoned up.

·
Registered
874 Posts
Good info! To sum it up they ran the the engine to loss of pump suction, added one gallon of fuel, drove to gas station and added 14.6 gallons. Previous to this it would normally take 10 gallons when low fuel light came on so it appears there is approx. 5 gallons of usable fuel left when low fuel light activates. They also had a lot of trouble priming the fuel system and could have left them stranded if they didn't have the OB scanner so if you start running out of fuel it may be a good idea to pull over and shut engine down to prevent total loss of fuel pressure. In doing so engine should start much easier once fuel is replenished. I expect this would apply to any vehicle with push button start sequence.
I suspect they didn't add enough fuel to get it to prime. The owner's manual says to add 2.3 gallons -- supposedly enough to turn the low fuel light off (but not really, of course).

·
Registered
491 Posts
Got a call from the dealer service advisor today and the parts are in for my car. We talked for a while and he said all three parts will be installed but then asked me to fill the tank to first click off at the station a mile away from the dealership. Two days ago they said no testing needed and no fill requirement. I guess they are starting to read the instructions. He also said that he has a 2019 Rav Hybrid and never thought of it having an issue because it fills like all the Prius he had owned before. He indicated he would fill to click and then added sometimes as much as three gallons extra so he now believes he has the same issue as I have. I filled to first click yesterday and it was 100 miles less than normal and way below the full mark. That was the first time I actually filled to first click in over a year of ownership. I set the appointment for 11/30 and he said five hours to complete and offered a loaner again but the dealer is only five miles from my house.

·
Registered
2020 XSE Silver/Black Hybrid
266 Posts
I got it done yesterday too. My fuel tank is currently full with DTE of 464. I filled it to first click before I took it in, and it was a tad below "F" with DTE of 356. Will report back after my next fill-up. Hope it works like everyone else. (y)

Q: what parts do they need to remove for this fix, like rear seat, trunk floor, etc? i would like to do an inspection on the areas to make sure everything is buttoned up.
one owner from a facebook group reported that they left rav4 in garage for 2 days and saw a puddle of gas all over the floor

321 - 340 of 744 Posts