Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

681 - 700 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
496 Posts
Yeah, I'm at 116 tracked refills over 52,000-plus miles, so I have plenty of experience to know how my Rav4H fuel system behaves. I'm just not sure I want to get a "fix" that may or may not correct the issue and then have to re-learn how the new system behaves...
I understand your position, I fear relearning the DTE issues on Florida trips. It should take a few refill stops to gain confidence.

·
Registered
353 Posts
I've only filled the tank once since I got the fix. It did show an improvement and I did show data.
Yeah, you got the fix and added more than 4 gallons to top off. That's worse than the 2-3 gallons I'm short each time without having had the fix...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Yeah, you got the fix and added more than 4 gallons to top off. That's worse than the 2-3 gallons I'm short each time without having had the fix...
The point you should be looking at is I was able to put ~ 1.5 gallons more in before the first click.

How do you know your 2-3 gallons short?

·
Registered
482 Posts
. . . . .
How do you know your 2-3 gallons short?
Really?

You are going to openly challenge someone and their ability for simple math? Someone that has more than 100 visits to the fuel pump and over 52k miles of driving in his RAV4?

Seriously?

People really need to step back and raise the bar just a wee bit here.

Good grief, simple mileage calculations . . . . . oh nevermind

Reactions: Tip Tank

·
Registered
83 Posts
Really?

You are going to opening challenge someone and their ability for simple math? Someone that has more than 100 visits to the fuel pump and over 52k miles of driving in his RAV4?

Seriously?

People really need to step back and raise the bar just a wee bit here.

If tiptank can put 12 gallons of gas in his tank at the 1st click, he obviously doesn't have the issue. But Tip didn't say in the 1st click. Hence, my clarifying question.

I would not have complained if I could put 12 gallons of gas in my tank on 1st click. It's only after the fix that I could get close to 12 gallons on first click.

Freeman, you're pretty rude.

·
Registered
482 Posts
I apologize for offending your sensibilities on an Internet Forum.

Have a cookie, on me. :)

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #687
You are going to openly challenge someone and their ability for simple math?

You are asking way too much from an average hybrid owner

Reactions: Freeman

·
Registered
353 Posts
If tiptank can put 12 gallons of gas in his tank at the 1st click, he obviously doesn't have the issue. But Tip didn't say in the 1st click. Hence, my clarifying question.
Unfortunately, Fuelly doesn't show the Notes for fill ups, but, yes, the first click is typically between 2 and 3 gallons short of what I would consider to be a full tank. My latest fill up was very consistent with the history of the vehicle. I refueled just before the Low Fuel light came on with a DTE of ~35 or so (my Low Fuel light has been coming on pretty consistently at 28 DTE lately). At the Low Fuel light, I expect to be able to put in ~12.3 gallons, so since I was not quite at the Low Fuel light, I figured it would be somewhat just shy of 12.3 gallons. The pump first clicked off at 9.217 gallons. I was able to put in a total of 12.152 gallons using my technique of multiple pump squeezes. That's a 2.935 gallon difference.

Even if I could get ~1.5 gallons more until the next click, that's still 1.5 gallons short of a full tank, or, what matter more to me, 61.5 miles of driving range I'm being shorted. Since my drive from work is 55 miles, that extra bit seems inconsequential to some but it matters to me...

·
Registered
149 Posts
Why not just run the tank to E before filling up? I expect there is around two gallons between the light and "E" and a little over two between "E" and dry. At least that my experience.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Unfortunately, Fuelly doesn't show the Notes for fill ups, but, yes, the first click is typically between 2 and 3 gallons short of what I would consider to be a full tank. My latest fill up was very consistent with the history of the vehicle. I refueled just before the Low Fuel light came on with a DTE of ~35 or so (my Low Fuel light has been coming on pretty consistently at 28 DTE lately). At the Low Fuel light, I expect to be able to put in ~12.3 gallons, so since I was not quite at the Low Fuel light, I figured it would be somewhat just shy of 12.3 gallons. The pump first clicked off at 9.217 gallons. I was able to put in a total of 12.152 gallons using my technique of multiple pump squeezes. That's a 2.935 gallon difference.

Even if I could get ~1.5 gallons more until the next click, that's still 1.5 gallons short of a full tank, or, what matter more to me, 61.5 miles of driving range I'm being shorted. Since my drive from work is 55 miles, that extra bit seems inconsequential to some but it matters to me...
Sounds like you have a very similar experience to mine. Since you are adding ~2.9 gallons after the 1st click you are doing something similar to what I did.

I completely agree with you about your work commute and being able to add more fuel is much welcomed. Before Covid, I was in the same boat.

Im still on the first gas fill after I got the fix. Im happy being to add that extra 1.5 gallons.
:)

After the fix, I noticed a big improvement of being able to add more gas after the 1st click... that multiple squeeze technique you describe. I believe you would welcome that too.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Why not just run the tank to E before filling up? I expect there is around two gallons between the light and "E" and a little over two between "E" and dry. At least that my experience.
My experience is when the needle gets to E (coincidentally, that's when DTE hits 0), there's 1.5 gallons left in the tank (because I've been able to add 13 gallons in those scenarios).

·
Registered
45 Posts
My dealer called the other day and asked if I would like to bring in my Rav4 for the tank test and possible replacement. I asked how many replacements his shop had done. He replied five. I think I will wait until they have a few dozen under their belts.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just had my RAV4 Limited Hybrid in at the dealer for the tank and fuel sending unit replacement in December. I waited until the fuel gas was close to empty and was able to pump in a little over 12 gallons. I was happy with that. But then I noticed that I can't get better than 31 mpg anymore (according to dashboard.) My ECO score is between 65-70 so I know that it's not my lead foot. I should be getting a minimum of 38 mpg (like before.) Anyone else having this issue?

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I just had my RAV4 Limited Hybrid in at the dealer for the tank and fuel sending unit replacement in December. I waited until the fuel gas was close to empty and was able to pump in a little over 12 gallons. I was happy with that. But then I noticed that I can't get better than 31 mpg anymore (according to dashboard.) My ECO score is between 65-70 so I know that it's not my lead foot. I should be getting a minimum of 38 mpg (like before.) Anyone else having this issue?
My driver score is in the 90's and I am getting about 36 MPG during cold weather driving.

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
120 Posts
Just dropped mine off to get the tank, mirror fix, and TSB done for the Firmware update, will report back once I get a chance to do my first fill.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Had the gas tank fix done yesterday. All 3 parts replaced.
When I started the vehicle, DTE showed 408 miles. The gauge showed just under a full tank of gas.
My average mileage was real strange on the trip back home. It went as high as 99.9, moved between that number and 47,up and down, and showed 43.7 when I pulled in the garage.
I had been averaging 38.1 miles per gallon recently. Live in NW PA.
DTE showed 401 miles with just under a full tank of gas when I parked it.
Is this normal?
Thanks for any replies.

681 - 700 of 747 Posts