Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

721 - 740 of 747 Posts

·
Registered
886 Posts
In the end, we just don't know.

Other cars in the past (from Toyota and other brands) have certainly had problems when people top off the tank. And the usual problem is that some fuel dribbles down into the charcoal canister, ruining it over time and causing further problems.

It wouldn't surprise me if manufacturers started designing around this particular problem by shifting around the tube that leads to the canister, making it significantly more difficult to cause damage. So maybe this is an obsolete concern.

However, there might be other potential problems. The tank is literally designed to have space for vapors, and by force-feeding it more fuel you're pushing liquid into a place where there's supposed to be a gas.

I don't think any single person here is qualified to say what the effects of that would be. Maybe everything will be fine. Maybe it reduces the life of some sensitive components. Maybe it will be a $1000 fix after ten years of doing this. Maybe all it does is increase the emissions of the vehicle. Or maybe this is just Toyota repeating common advice because there's nothing wrong with being safe.

One top-off is probably fine. The SAE standard for determining the tank size assumes two (at slow speed). Stick to that and it's unlikely you're overfilling the tank by much.

In the end, all we know is Toyota tells us to not top off at all, and we know that they designed their car assuming we'd actually follow the owner's manual. I'm not sure the extra dozen miles per tank is worth it.

·
Registered
482 Posts
. . . . Are you saying that, after the fix is done, that we cannot fill beyond the first click any longer?. . . . .
No.
I do not work for Toyota, and given the current landscape, Toyota doesn't have enough money to hire me.
Really.

As for the Owner Manual providing a bullet point Warning on page 242 "Do not top off the fuel tank." there are any number of States in the U.S. where 'topping off' is prohibited by law. So, topping off never happens because Corporations are just like people, they never do anything that would break the law. 🤣

·
Registered
482 Posts
Carry a couple of bricks with you and put one under each drivers side tire before refueling. Guaranteed to get a completely full tank!
🤣

Tried and proven to be an exercise in abject failure.

Screen Shot 2020-01-03 at 2.49.52 PM.png

·
Registered
2020 Limited Hybrid
120 Posts
Got my 2020 Limited Hybrid back tonight after 3 repairs, one being the tank. The tank was full from the dealer which surprised me, the needle was farther past the F on the dash that I ever saw before. DTE was around 454. I was only seeing 390 DTE on my recent fill-ups and it definitely got worse since I bought the car last Jan. So we will see how this goes with the new tank, fingers crossed!

The mirror fix was done as well, will have to test on the freeway tomorrow, but they don't vibrate anymore when I shut the door, so I am thinking it will be improved.

I got the lastest Firmware update done, and now the Toyota connect works, good thing, I have about 5 days left of the free service! LMAO.

I will report back on the tank results after I have a few fill ups, that could be a while without much travel these days.

·
Registered
'19 Rav4 XLE Hybrid--Magnetic Gray Metallic
165 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for posting this question because I know the answer is somewhere in this 37 page long thread. What are the 3 parts that most of you had changed at the dealership?

I know one of them is the gas tank itself, I believe the other is the gas sending unit? Not sure what the 3rd one is.

I have an appointment to take my car in this Saturday and would like to know the 3 part names and part # for reference.

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry for posting this question because I know the answer is somewhere in this 37 page long thread. What are the 3 parts that most of you had changed at the dealership?

I know one of them is the gas tank itself, I believe the other is the gas sending unit? Not sure what the 3rd one is.

I have an appointment to take my car in this Saturday and would like to know the 3 part names and part # for reference.

Thank you.
gasket

·
Registered
632 Posts
Another data point: Just for you guys, for my first fill up since the tank fix, I drove until the DTE was 1, then filled up. Normally, I never let it get that low. The needle was splitting the middle of the E on the gauge (more on that in a moment). MPG was at 41.7.

I fill with the nozzle at the first position (not max). It clicked off at 11.66 gals. I then continued $.53 more, to make it an even dollar amount, which was 11.909 gals. The needle is now above F.

DTE now said 578. 578 / 11.909 is 48.5 MPG, so the computer is smokin weed if it thinks I am going to get that. I'll see if I actually get about 40 * 11.9 = 476 miles until DTE of 0.

Also, I got to thinking about the "Distance to Empty" message. So, the gas gauge has an "E" and "F". "E" is for Empty, and "F" is for full. Iff "Empty" in that message is considered to be a noun, then the DTE was correct, since the distance to when the needle pointed to the exact middle of the E was correct, at least when I was about to fill up.

It is good for me to know that, for my car, I am now working with just under 12 usable gallons in my tank until "Empty".

·
Registered
482 Posts
My experiences with Toyota would have me thinking/believing that the needle zone above "F" has a rather abundant amount of 'slop'. On my '98 Tacoma, that slop with the tank absolutely and unequivocally full amounts to about ~60 miles before the needle begins its precipitous drop heading for the "E".

On my RAV4, again with a fairly high degree of certainty for a full tank, that slop zone provides for ~ 115 miles of driving before the needle begins to move on its trajectory toward the "E".

·
Registered
149 Posts
Another data point: Just for you guys, for my first fill up since the tank fix, I drove until the DTE was 1, then filled up. Normally, I never let it get that low. The needle was splitting the middle of the E on the gauge (more on that in a moment). MPG was at 41.7.

I fill with the nozzle at the first position (not max). It clicked off at 11.66 gals. I then continued $.53 more, to make it an even dollar amount, which was 11.909 gals. The needle is now above F.

DTE now said 578. 578 / 11.909 is 48.5 MPG, so the computer is smokin weed if it thinks I am going to get that. I'll see if I actually get about 40 * 11.9 = 476 miles until DTE of 0.

Also, I got to thinking about the "Distance to Empty" message. So, the gas gauge has an "E" and "F". "E" is for Empty, and "F" is for full. Iff "Empty" in that message is considered to be a noun, then the DTE was correct, since the distance to when the needle pointed to the exact middle of the E was correct, at least when I was about to fill up.

It is good for me to know that, for my car, I am now working with just under 12 usable gallons in my tank until "Empty".
DTE does not know exactly how much fuel is left in the tank at any given time. It assumes there is approximately 13.5 gallons between E and F and bases it's calculation on this, feedback from the fuel gauge and previous mpg. If the gas gauge is out of calibration as it appears yours is then DTE will vary. Keep in mind gas gauge indications depend on a plastic float attached to a rod (similar arrangement to a float in a toilet flush box) to tell it what the fuel level is. While rugged, reliable, repeatable and give a fair idea of how much fuel is in the tank they are not very accurate. Very common to see gas gauges read beyond F when filled up and have several gallons left when indicating E. The important thing is they are repeatable and last for many years.

·
Registered
496 Posts
And the gauge also is corrected for tilt front to back and left to right. In the repair procedure for the fix the car is place on a level surface and the system is reset to zero the effect of slopes and road banks. This system was also used in the Prius vehicles also.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts

Just curious. Was the 41.7 MPG your calculation or the displayed MPG?

578 DTE / 41.7 MPG = 13.86 gallons in your tank, which seems reasonable. I believe that the initial DTE displayed after fill-up is approximately the vehicle's computed MPG multiplied by the tank capacity of 14.5 gallons. Just a theory.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Just curious. Was the 41.7 MPG your calculation or the displayed MPG?

578 DTE / 41.7 MPG = 13.86 gallons in your tank, which seems reasonable. I believe that the initial DTE displayed after fill-up is approximately the vehicle's computed MPG multiplied by the tank capacity of 14.5 gallons. Just a theory.
It was the displayed amount.

I am not sure I agree with you on your 2nd paragraph. Given that my previous tank MPG was less than the current tank, I could see that the average of maybe 2-3 tanks (not just one) was about 39.8, which would yield the 578. It obviously should use about 12 gals in its formula, instead of 14.5, since the other 2.5 is not usable to me. If so, then my DTE would be 39.8 * 12.5 = 497. We will see what I actually end up getting (in about a month).

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
It was the displayed amount.

I am not sure I agree with you on your 2nd paragraph. Given that my previous tank MPG was less than the current tank, I could see that the average of maybe 2-3 tanks (not just one) was about 39.8, which would yield the 578. It obviously should use about 12 gals in its formula, instead of 14.5, since the other 2.5 is not usable to me. If so, then my DTE would be 39.8 * 12.5 = 497. We will see what I actually end up getting (in about a month).
Since getting the new tank, my DTE after a fill-up seems to indicate the literal distance to empty tank miles (all 14.5 gallons used). But as I drive, the DTE seems to make adjustments so when the gauge gets to "E" (not literally empty) there is still have about two gallons left. This has been consistent with all three of my fill-ups since getting the new tank.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Got my new tank, gage assembly and gasket today, took about 3 hours and the needle was above full by a good bit and showing 484 DTE, no gas smell and every thing looks good. (They said they did 3 of these today). I took it in with the low fuel light on and they said it still had a quarter tank and after they put the new tank it and took it for gas and said they put in 11 gallons, for whatever its worth. Before the fix I was lucky to show 380 after painfully slow trickle fill. I am hapy today and we'll see how it goes from here.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Got my done yesterday. Dealer top off tank DTE shows 408. Probably due to my recent mpg being around 30mpg. Waiting for the real test when I have to fill it up for the first time.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Just because I haven't been on here for quite some time and don't want to read through 37 pages, does the new tank fix the filling issue where it stops the pump instantly when trying to fill? I've had to kinda trickle gas into it for over a year now and it'd be nice if this was the fix. Thanks for any help

·
Registered
48 Posts
Just had my 2020 XSE hybrid checked since I couldn’t fill the tank. They had to do the diagnostics on a full tank. Found out mine wasn’t the neck or the tank but the “sender” and gauge were bad so those were replaced and seems to be fine now. Thanks

·
Registered
2 Posts
We got the fuel tank fix a couple weeks ago. Everything seemed fine, we filled it up a few times and saw 480-490 DTE. We were more than happy with that. But starting last week, we've filled up a couple times and now it's saying 430-440 DTE. Anybody have any idea where we lost around 40 miles?

Car is a 2019. We're at 37.2 MPGs. Last fill up was 40 miles DTE and it took a little over 10 gallons before the first clip. I never go pass the first click. It shows way passed F like it did when we were seeing 480-490.

721 - 740 of 747 Posts