Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

741 - 760 of 764 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
@Kip2MyLpu It looks like the DTE calculation, which appears to take several previous tank MPGs into consideration, is catching up with your approximate 37MPG, and thus a DTE in the mid 400s.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I have noticed since the tank fix that the DTE miles drop a lot faster than the actual odometer miles. It was 20% faster at first and seems to be getting closer with each tank full. Even though the GPM is staying relatively steady.

·
Registered
4 Posts
@Kip2MyLpu It looks like the DTE calculation, which appears to take several previous tank MPGs into consideration, is catching up with your approximate 37MPG, and thus a DTE in the mid 400s.
Is that right though? I've followed this thread since the start but maybe I missed something because everybody else seems to be getting high 400s even with my same MPGs.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Is that right though? I've followed this thread since the start but maybe I missed something because everybody else seems to be getting high 400s even with my same MPGs.
Nobody knows what the DTE calculation is doing behind the scenes. That's one reason why it's so hard to say anything meaningful about your car just based on the DTE behavior.

All I can say for sure is that 430 miles isn't unexpected. If you refilled with 40 left and ended with 430, that means adding 10 gallons increased the range by 390 miles. So the car thinks you'll average around 39 MPG. This is roughly consistent with your fuel economy.

However, only filling 10 gallons when the low fuel light comes on ... that's lower than I would expect. Most people who get the fix fill somewhere between 11 and 12 gallons. That's why their DTE is probably higher.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Why does TSB 0109-20 only mention vehicles manufactured in Japan? If I bring this TSB to the dealer, won't they say that my Canadian built RAV4 is not effected by this TSB? Does anyone know of a TSB that mentions Canadian built VINs?

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Why does TSB 0109-20 only mention vehicles manufactured in Japan? If I bring this TSB to the dealer, won't they say that my Canadian built RAV4 is not effected by this TSB? Does anyone know of a TSB that mentions Canadian built VINs?
You may be misunderstanding the TSB?

·
Registered
906 Posts
TSB 0109-20 talks about Canadian-built vehicles on page 2:

• For vehicles produced at TMMC and TMMK plants, replace the fuel tank AND the fuel sender gauge.
TMMC is Canada, TMMK is Kentucky.

The list of VINs after that exist because it seems the fix was slowly rolled out in Japan so the VIN is used to distinguish which ones had what fixed. But it's easier for Canadian-built: just replace both parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My dealer performed the fuel fill TSB on my RAV 4 Hybrid a couple weeks ago. Yesterday I filled the tank myself for the first time since the service and was pleasantly surprised. I put the nozzle on automatic and when it clicked off I didn't put anymore fuel in it. I got in the RAV and turned it on and the fuel gage was pegged at full. Finally the gauge is reading properly and the tank will fill without having to slowly fuel the vehicle.

·
Registered
2020 RAV4 HYBRID LIMITED
199 Posts
I had some reservations about taking my 2020 in for the fix after reading about some issues people were having after due to shoddy work. But I finally decided last week to do it for two reasons.
  1. I didn't pay all this money for a new car for it to not work as intended.
  2. While the slow fill method was acceptable in the warmer months it definitely was not on a 20 degree night with the wind blowing!
I emailed the service manager at a dealership I've been to previously. Later in the day I got a call from a service advisor telling me they've already done this on a few RAV4s which made me feel more comfortable. They already have all the parts needed and there was nothing about having to prove I have the issue first. I dropped it off early Friday morning and got a 2019 RAV4 Limited for a loaner in Blizzard White which was one of the colors I wanted instead of black. Got a call later in the day around 2:30 telling me they were done. Picked it up this morning and went to gas station to fill up. Did a regular fill at full speed and the pump stopped at 7.5 gallons. My fuel gauge was past F and my ScanGauge read 14.8 gallons. Previously the ScanGauge read 14.2-14.3 with the slow fill method. DTE for those who care is at 466 which matched the previous MPG average from my last tank of gas. So far after a 25 mile drive everything is good "knock on wood".

Labor was 3 hrs and parts listed were 04000 - 16142 (GAGE ASSY), 04000 - 15247 (GASKET) & 04000 - 15142 (TANK SUB-ASSY). Parts cost is not bad at all but the labor would've been expensive if I had to pay out of pocket. Keeping my fingers crossed the issue has been resolved.

No offense to the gas RAV4 owners that might be reading this but after driving my loaner it proved to me I made the right choice in getting the hybrid. To me the gas version felt slower, louder and the tranny shifts were a little harsher than they should be. When compared to my Hybrid the power felt so much smoother, it was quieter and rattled less.

·
Registered
2019 XSE
1,193 Posts
After several months of topping off from 1/2 a tank after the fix, today was my first fill from "refill now." My DTE was 26 miles to empty. I refilled on medium flow and managed to get 11.2 gallons in, certainly better than 9.prior to fix. Hoping for 12. We will see over time at different stations but so far so good. My DTE at fill is 505

·
Registered
4 Posts
I can never get more than 10.5 in my rav4. I had it at 30 DTE the other day and only got in around 10.3 I think. New DTE was around 450. I don't get close to 500 DTE. And I've had the fix for a couple months now.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Cognitive Dysfunction, Intellectual Impairment, Failure to Grasp Reality . . . . . a Universal, ubiquitous condition.

It is gobsmacking, the uniformity and monolithic quality of its presence. As a human race, we all understand the threat posed by Climate Change, a symptom of our unsustainable conduct on Earth, embracing systems based upon infinite growth while occupying an environment with finite resources.

Here, Cognitive Dysfunction is on display courtesy of a "Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician" counseling against pumping gasoline into a vehicle after the fuel nozzle has been tripped off.

My friend Ali Mohagheghi is a Toyota master diagnostic technician (he has been working on Toyota vehicles for 35 years) and happily offers his time and his knowledge when I need more insight and education. I really appreciate his kindness.
We filmed a video explaining the RAV4 gas tank issue and what simple steps you can take for your fix.
. . . . . first thing you should do, is when your car says FULL, do not keep pumping it . . . . .
source article

Uh, YO! Ali ! ! ! THAT is the problem right there.

Your failure to comprehend and grasp the glaringly simple condition RAV4 Hybrid owners have been tolerating, their cars DO NOT SAY FULL. The 'gas gauge' on the 'dash' is showing anywhere from 5/8 to 13/16 of a tank 'full' when the gasoline pump fuel nozzle first clicks off . . . . LONG before the fuel tank is actually FULL.

Ali? Time to stop acting like some greased up moron jabrony shade tree mechanic whose favorite phrase is "good enough" and behave like an actual Master Diagnostic Technician that has a grasp upon basic communication. Just stop presuming conditions that do not exist, approach the issue in a manner that suggests you have a blushing acquaintance with methods and thought processes required to "diagnose" problems. Stop presuming realities that have not been articulated.

/RANT MODE

Ah,

there,

I feel much mo betta

Reactions: Rickets

·
Registered
98 Posts
I've never heard of one person ever replacing a charcoal canister until I joined this forum.

I've always topped off my gas on every car I've owned.

Every car I've ever pumped gas into has never allowed you to put gallons of gas in after the pump clicking off at the pump like this Rav4.

I've learned more about fuel systems than I ever cared to because of this messed up Rav4 tank. State of the art for gas tanks is to have a float that prevents gas from getting in the ine to the charcoal canister.

Ali, you telling people not to fill the tank shows you don't have a grasp of the depth of this problem. We didn't buy a hybrid to be short changed on the miles we can drive per tank!

·
Registered
183 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

You may want to consider raising the bar on what qualifies as "good advice".

/. . . . or not
Would a major auto manufacturer test engineer be high enough for the bar? Short version -"Over filling a fuel tank is like running across a residential street without looking both ways. You may get away with it many times but then that one time, SPLAT." Fill your tank and boots too for that matter but discrediting someone with years of experience as an automotive tech. is condescending to say the least.

·
Super Moderator
10,783 Posts
Okay folks, is it time to close this thread? This "overfilling" issue has been discussed on many threads w/o agreement.

Personally I consider it impossible due to the non-vented non-fillable air gap manufacturers build in at the top of the tank to allow for expansion of cold gas out of the underground tanks on hot days. But obviously with the thousands of tank designs, or in this case redesign, combined with the similar numbers of various EVAP systems, most any scenario is possible.

IMO, that makes everyone on both sides of the issue right under some circumstances. And no one is going to convince anyone else to change the way they fill their tanks. Or how far they drive after they fill up. Or how or where they park the car, uphill, downhill, etc.

So, let's please let half-asleep dogs lie and just wish them happy ;) dreams.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Off subject slightly here:
After a few fill ups now with the new replacement tank and sending unit....
1. Gauge reads slightly above full after I do one top off.
2. Fuel light come on at about 20 miles to empty.
3. After the miles to empty says ZERO the 'refuel now' message appears.
4. After driving an additional 10 miles past ZERO I can pump about 12.25 gallons in.
Conclusion: I should be able to go AT LEAST 40 miles past ZERO to empty.

So is it a real fix? I guess so... at least I can sit in the car while its filling and not have to trickle the fuel in by hand. Nice now that our weather has been SUB zero.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Whether or not it is well and truly a genuine "fix". . . . . just having the ability to place the pump nozzle on auto and having 12 gallons or a bit more . . . . . .

. . . . . . flow into a 14.5 gallon tank that Toyota states in the manual should accept 12.3 gallons . . . .

. . . . . . before it clicks off? That alone is a vast improvement.

TOYOTA has managed to turn getting a full tank of gas into a bonafide novelty.

/cue the scene from Idiocracy . . . . "Ow my balls"

741 - 760 of 764 Posts