1 - 9 of 9 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I just bought a 4-door 97 Rav4 and discovered, after emptying
the tank, that the fuel filler door does not open when the lever is
pulled. Is there some way to force it open? Perhaps some other
location where I could access the cable and pull it with pliers?

·
Premium Member
3,348 Posts
When pulling on the lever, do you hear any noise (click) back at the fuel door? If so... the latch might be stuck. Have another person pull on the lever while you gently pry the door open. A shot of WD-40 on the latch area might do the trick.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jameskingston said:
Today I just bought a 4-door 97 RAV4 and discovered, after emptying
the tank, that the fuel filler door does not open when the lever is
pulled. Is there some way to force it open? Perhaps some other
location where I could access the cable and pull it with pliers?
There is a small silver metal spring, its in the shape of a "V", it is screwed to the fuel filler door, that pops the door open when you pull the lever. Check if yours is there if not, its only a $3-5 part. Mine broke a few years ago and that took care of it.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It was indeed the metal spring that was broken. Of course, I managed to completely dismantle the rav's interior plastic on the left side before realizing that I could just prop the lever up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
jameskingston said:
It was indeed the metal spring that was broken. Of course, I managed to completely dismantle the RAV's interior plastic on the left side before realizing that I could just prop the lever up.
I went a few months reaching inside to pull the fuel release door handle while at the same time streching my other arm on the fuel door to push it open. Glad it wasn't a larger car or it wouldnt have been possible.

·
Registered
27 Posts
It is on the hinge assembly on the fuel door itself. Go grab one from your dealer and you shoudn't have much trouble puttting it where it belongs. I had to replace mine.. cost only a few bucks.

What did you think of all the funny looks you got at the gas station....i thought it was interesting... good prank for someone...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Haha, ive used it as a prank. Friend promisied me a tank of gas if he could borrow my rav4. When he picked me up, I told him to fill it, shoulda saw the look on his face when he tried to figure out how to do it (after I faked freaking out about him breaking it lol) And then yeah, all the looks from people "how the hell do you open this thing?" hahaha....

But ive got a problem with mine...it didnt just fall off. The part that it moutns to BROKE off some how (maybe when I went off roading...) so theres nothign to attach it to. any idea on how much that entire hinge or a new fuel door assembly will cost?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The Drifter said:
But ive got a problem with mine...it didnt just fall off. The part that it moutns to BROKE off some how (maybe when I went off roading...) so theres nothign to attach it to. any idea on how much that entire hinge or a new fuel door assembly will cost?
Drifter, I had the exact same problem as you. The entire mount for the spring clip broke off. :cry: What I did was mix up some JBWeld and attached the whole thing back together. It takes awhile to harden, but will work as good as new when it is finished. It's been over a year now since the fix and its still going strong. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts