Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was filling up my gas the other day and noticed something interesting that I normally overlook. I noticed that in the fuel fill hole (where you put the gas pump nozzle) there is no circular metal flap that covers the hole. On previous cars I've had there was always a little spring-loaded metal thing inside the fill hole that would open when you inserted the nozzle. I guess it is there to keep stuff from falling down the fill hose. Well there isn't one of those on my Rav, at least not anymore, or maybe it never came with one.

E

·
0 Posts
Jeff said:
I was filling up my gas the other day and noticed something interesting that I normally overlook. I noticed that in the fuel fill hole (where you put the gas pump nozzle) there is no circular metal flap that covers the hole. On previous cars I've had there was always a little spring-loaded metal thing inside the fill hole that would open when you inserted the nozzle. I guess it is there to keep stuff from falling down the fill hose. Well there isn't one of those on my RAV, at least not anymore, or maybe it never came with one.
Interesting observation. I noticed the same thing with my RAV4 too. My old 1995 Tercel had that little "flap", but my dad's 2000 CR-V does not.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Ive had a Mazda, Suzuki , Chysler and i don't think i ever had one :roll: but i have driven cars with them.
The other function that comes to mind is an anti splash back if you where to fill up and forget your cap.

·
Registered
682 Posts
May be it's a country specific thing due to varying design rules? Every car in Oz has the spring loaded do-hicky in the fuel filler hole.

·
Registered
83 Posts
My RAV 4,2 does not have one. Corolla from 1992 has no such thing either. May be it is not a Toyota thing!

H

·
0 Posts
My 2003 had one, also my present 2004 has got one. Maybe country specific as Mohit says

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just figured mine fell into the tank.

T

·
0 Posts
really? interesting I was looking at the metal thing yesterday when i'm filling gas... and now someone is talking about it.. lol... but mine is 4.2 and it does have the cover or whatever you call it.

T

·
0 Posts
My 1998 RAV4 has it but my 2005 RAV4 doesn't. Looks like they did away with it - in the U.S. anyway.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts