Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could someone please tell me where the fuel filters are located on a 1997 RAV AWD. I have 137,000 miles on it and thought I should replace the fuel filter(s), but I don't know where they're located. Thank you and I really like this forum.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Brian,
Yeah, I'm thinking of changing ours out too. IIRC it's on the driver's side of a LHD vehicle, under those control boxes and the brake MC...in a really friendly place to get to...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bogatyr said:
Brian,
Yeah, I'm thinking of changing ours out too. IIRC it's on the driver's side of a LHD vehicle, under those control boxes and the brake MC...in a really friendly place to get to...

Bogatyr
You remember correctly.

I've changed mine last summer.

Very funny place to reach. :x

The best way to reach it, is to unscrew the control box, and remove the air filter box and tube.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
when do you recommend replacing the Fuel filter?! I have a 1998 that i just bought used and i have 76xxx miles. do it yet?! thanks for all the GREAT advice!!

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fuel filter should be replaced every 100,000km or 60,000miles.

Location of the fuel filter is right beneath the battery location in NZ and Aussie. Not too sure about the LHD RAVs.

There are 2 filters in your RAV. A coarse filter located underneath the fuel pump and a fine net mesh filter and sizt of a 3year old's fist in the engine compartment. Replacing the one in the engine compartment is all that is needed.

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
On U.S. LHD models, as described above too, moutned to the driver's side inner fender, and down underneath all that stuff with very sharp, exposed edges ...

If like mine was, black in color, with the fuel lines going in and out the top and bottom. The body of the filter is about the size of a large spool of thread. I used flare nut wrenches to disconnect/connect the lines.

If I remember the service manual correctly (may be thinking of a BMW), they were emphatic about depressurizing the fuel system and disconnecting the battery. So, "read and follow directions".

1 - 9 of 9 Posts