Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
it's on the driver's side of a LHD vehicle, under those control boxes and the brake MC a real neat place. And the pressure needs to be discharged first.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Stelly. :D Could you please provide more details on removing and replacing the fuel filter? I tried to do it once and got the top nut off, but struggled with the bottom one and gave up. I feared that I was going to strip the threads and tightened them back up. :oops: :cry:

Is there any helpful hints that you could give us in replacing our own fuel filters? I used to replace them all the time in my old Jeep Wrangler. That was the easiest fuel filter to ever remove. :D

·
Registered
106 Posts
I thought the fuel filter replacement on my '97 Rav4 was pretty straight forward. I did however have to run out to Sears to pick up a low profile wrench for one of the fittings.

To relieve the fuel pressure you can start the truck and pull the fuel pump fuse until the truck dies. Opening up the gas cap and letting it sit overnight before attempting to R&R the filter will help avoid a fuel shower.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Fuel Filter - Pressure Relief

Where is the fuse for the fuel pump located?

The Chilton manual instructs to remove the fuel pump connector in the cargo area; however, I carelessly applied the sound damping materials in the area sometime ago. Hence opting for an alternative method... Maybe I put up the pictures to share later.

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Yes fuel pressure must be relieved unless you want to be sprayed with fuel....

to relase the pressure - remove the fuel pump relay in the engine compartment then try to start the engine - it will get no fuel and stop

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the replies.. But I cannot seem to figure out which fuse/relay is for fuel pump. :oops: The P195 -196 of the owner's manual does not have any mentioning of fuel pump.

·
Registered
302 Posts
The connection for the fuel pump is on the driver side , under the carpet , under the rear seat .
When you lift the rear seat , there is a flap in the carpet that can be pulled back to expose it .

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yes, I know that the standard way of relieving the fuel pressure is by disconnecting the electric connector at the fuel pump in the rear cargo area. But I have some sound insulation materials applied in the area :shock: , so I rather not peel the stuff out if I could help it. Somebody mentioned that there is a fuse/relay for fuel pump in the engine bay area?

·
Registered
302 Posts
You know what ??
I actually disconnected the connector under the floor of the PAS.
side of the Rav instead of the driver side .
I let the Rav run for 30 minutes and it showed now sign of stalling or running out of gas (I think I disconnected the fuel gauge) .
So I said screw it and proceeded to disconnect the fuel filter .

There was no pressure release what so ever :?
Maybe this pressure relief issue is over rated ?????

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can't remove fuel filter!!!

So I decided to go with disconnecting the fuel pump & gauge connector under the passenger side of the rear seat. Just had to scrape off some sound insulation materials that I applied carelessly.

Next, loosened the gas cap. Then disconnected the connector. Cranked the engine, which didn't even start. Fine. Removed the air filter box, loosened the fuse box and let it aside.

The banjo bolt at the top came off easy.. Only a bit of gas leaked out. Then started attacking the nut at the bottom of the fuel filter.....

As I turned my wrench Clock-wise (from top view), it loosened a bit. But, as I kept turning it further more, it became harder and harder to turn. :x :x I busted my knuckles and scraped my skins off in attempt to remove the sucker, but no avail.

The day was getting darker and colder, so I hurried to put everything back together for now. I need my Rav to get to work tomorrow.

I'm not a weak dude and never needed a breaker bar to remove anything, but this is impossible! Do you guys think that there is something wrong with the threading or the way I was removing the nut?

I saw some rust inside of the old filter, so I really want to replace it. But the effort it took to loosen the bottom nut is unbelievable and it still didn't come out. Please advise!!! :cry: :cry:

·
Registered
190 Posts
I was talking to my new mechanic yesterday. I mentioned that I have a new mechanic a few weeks ago who was a master mechanic for Toyota for 19+ years, and he told me that the fuel filter should last the life of the car. Now we all know Toyotas will last 300K+ KM. I guess my question is do we really need to change the fuel filter if we have not experienced any issues? I have yet to change mine and it works fine.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
I think there is still a recommended maintenance for having the fuel fitler changed... it can get clogged with dirt or contaminents and affect fuel economy and performance...

I will probably get it changed at my friend's shop, just due to the location and the experiences I have heard from others...

Shouldn't cost much laborwise to get it changed...

Just my .02 cents...

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Bulldog5 said:
I figured as much. Is this something a novice Do it yourselfer could do or shoule I juat take it to the shop.
It should be a DIY type job with the know how and the proper tools... alot of times simple jobs become really hard to do , due to the fact of not having the proper tools... sometimes trying to take things off you may end up breaking or bending things which end up costing more then it would have if it was done right the first time... :p
If it's not too costly I think it would be better left for a shop to do it...

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
From what I remember that was a pretty easy DIY. All I used was a socket set, some open wrenches, and maybe a pair of pliers. Of course some rags were needed too, and as one of the replies said, I didnt do the pressure relief either and didnt get sprayed either, only had the regular amount of fuel come out of the full filter.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have a new mechanic a few weeks ago who was a master mechanic for Toyota for 19+ years, and he told me that the fuel filter should last the life of the car.
Maybe in an ideal world but here in the real world I can't see it.
Too many uncontrolled variables like the acually holding tanks at the gas stations and how much debris is in the vehicles gas tank as well.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It can get clogged and it makes the fuel pump work harder. I recommend you replace it every 30,000 mi unless you like replacinng fuel pumps.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts