Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Inside the engine bay across from the throttle body. You'll need a flare nut wrench of the appropriate size (metric) for the fittings on the line. The filter has a bracket attached to the sidewall and has a line going in the top and out of the bottom.

Don't forget to relieve the fuel pressure or you're gonna get messy :wink:

·
Registered
90 Posts
How do know that its time to replace your fuel filter?or it just every so often , you do it?? just interested to know, thanks,,,,

·
Registered
106 Posts
peppster66 said:
How do know that its time to replace your fuel filter?or it just every so often , you do it?? just interested to know, thanks,,,,
I think most manufacturers recommend changing them out every 30k miles

·
Registered
106 Posts
start the truck, then pulled the fuel pump fuse. It will die on you in a couple seconds. In addition, removing the gas cap may help as well.

·
Registered
432 Posts
If i remember right, you do those mentioned above, but there may be another bolt on the top of the filter ( a little one in the center of the main bolt to the top of the filter) and you just loosen it a bit to relieve the pressure, then continue with the change. I'll have to be doing mine this spring again it been about 60K miles since the last change. :roll:

·
Registered
273 Posts
This was a pain in the butt. It is straightforward, but like many things with this vehicle, the room to work was amazingly tight.

I removed the full airbox assembly. I also unbolted the relay/fuse box on top of the filter and moved it out of the way.

Before undoing the bolts on the filter, unplug the fuel pump. It is under the carpet beneath the left rear seat. Turn the motor over for 5-6 seconds and the fuel pressure should be gone.

The little bolt that goes on the bracket is short. If you fully back it out, it is a PITA to get back in. You will have very little clearance underneath the filter. Just take your time and don't strip everything out.

Installation is the reverse of removal. Remember to install new washers on each side of the banjo bolt. The old ones on mine were stuck to the banjo bolt. I had to scrape them off.

Plug the fuel pump in and start it up. Check for fuel leaks.

Press on with life. I think it is a good idea to replace the PCV valve at the same time. It is the little plastic thing between the #2 and #3 spark plugs.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Chucks97 said:
peppster66 said:
I think most manufacturers recommend changing them out every 30k miles
100k miles maybe, it doesnt get THAT dirty THAT quick

1 - 11 of 11 Posts