Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Can someone tell me where the fuel filter is located?
Its a little early for a change, but I would still like to know. I checked the owners and maintance manual and did not see a change interval or a location. I'd like to change it about 30k miles. Thanks for your help;
John Smith

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Quick -

Why within the past few years are the manufacturers putting the fuel filters within the gas tank?? My '05 Subaru Outback has one in the same location, and I'm pretty sure they recommend replacing it periodically. Used to be so simple switching 'em out when they were under the hood, geez, that's not something I'm gonna do - dropping my gas tank :cry:

OC

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Tim,
It seems newer vehicles have less and less maintance, just remove and replace components.
John

·
Registered
179 Posts
OCInsomniac said:
Why within the past few years are the manufacturers putting the fuel filters within the gas tank?? ... Used to be so simple switching 'em out when they were under the hood, geez, that's not something I'm gonna do - dropping my gas tank
I think you answered your own question - that's not something you're gonna do, so therefore you to need to bring it in for that work, and toyota makes money on that.

·
Premium Member
6,693 Posts
I don't know OC, my '98 Durango was the first vehicle I ever owned that had an in tank filter, I sold it before I ever had to have it replaced, but the tank on it had to be dropped to do the job, what a PITA!! The '02 Trailblazer I traded in on the Rav4 had an inline filter on a frame rail, it got changed every 15k.

My best guess is to reduce mfrg costs, the factory can install the fuel pump module in one step and no filter has to be mounted and connected. Good for them, sad for us. Maybe they figure by the time the filter is plugged, the pump will fail. :roll:

Tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts