Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,
I have a 2017 RAV4 LE with approximately 45,000 miles on it. Every four or five fills, the fuel gauge only registers 3/4 instead of Full. It then reduces as I drive it. It usually lasts for one or two fills, then it returns to working normally. I suspect a sticky float. Has anybody experienced this? and any thoughts on what would cause this?

Note: My car was rear ended pretty hard around 25,000 miles. Unsure if this could be a contributor.

-Broon

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Yes, the sender unit is likely the issue. A little strange considering the low miles. I need to check if it's accessible from inside the car(back seats) or if the fuel tank needs lowered. I once replaced one on another vehicle from an access panel under the back seats. Hoping I have the same access on the RAV4.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Just a reminder. Disconnect the battery before you go near the gas tank.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Update: I finally got around to replacing the fuel sender unit. It was good that it was separate from the fuel pump. It's located on it's own about a foot away from where the pump is on top of the tank. Part cost was $102 from Toyota. It took me 3 hours to lower the tank and replace the sender unit. Not a difficult job, just cramped if you can't get the car high enough off the ground. I was advised to disconnect the pump relay to depressurize the system. I did so and had no issues. Gauge is now working normally. Old sender unit appeared to have some play in it but nothing too obvious. Assume it was a dead spot on the contacts. I ensured the fuel tank was low to ease lowering it. It took 12.5 gallons on refill. It's a long thin tank.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts